Blonde on Blonde... on Blonde

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
In my isolation and growing boredom I thought I would try to share some pictures and information from some of my escapades in turntable (make that turntable plinth) building. I have been able to have fun making a lot of sawdust turn into something that actually plays music... added bonus - It sounds quite fantastic!

All of the turntables use a constrained layer approach to their build; depending on the TT, some combo of Panzerholtz, Ebony, cherry and/or maple, bamboo, aluminum, and soapstone.

I'd love to hear back from the community. Maybe some relief from the news and self-imposed exile from the main street...

Last edited:

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
All3-sideview.JPEG All3-sideview.JPEG

Attachments

• Blondeoonblonde-onblone.JPEG
    Blondeoonblonde-onblone.JPEG
    892.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Blackie-SP3-2-old.JPEG
    Blackie-SP3-2-old.JPEG
    877.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Blackie-SP3-old3.JPEG
    Blackie-SP3-old3.JPEG
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Blackie-top-old2.JPEG
    Blackie-top-old2.JPEG
    707.6 KB · Views: 63

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
The black Gerrard (Blackie) and SP10 mk3.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.JPEG
    IMG_0566.JPEG
    730.5 KB · Views: 64
  • SP10-Blackie-blondies.JPEG
    SP10-Blackie-blondies.JPEG
    849.3 KB · Views: 60
  • SP10-left-nice.JPEG
    SP10-left-nice.JPEG
    867.8 KB · Views: 58
  • SP10-money.JPEG
    SP10-money.JPEG
    790.8 KB · Views: 61

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Finished-pearl.JPG

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Gerrard 301 #2 (Pearl)

Attachments

• Pearl-rightside.JPEG
    Pearl-rightside.JPEG
    718.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Pearl-top-done.JPEG
    Pearl-top-done.JPEG
    658 KB · Views: 24

Vienna

VIP/Donor
This is music to the eyes !!!
thank you for sharing and congratulations on your collection

Reactions: bazelio

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Absolutely beautiful!! they look sensational.

What is your fav spinner?

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Thanks XV-1 and Vienna!

It’s hard for to choose a “favorite “ .... it just really depends on the music and the mood. Having different cartridges to swap in and out makes it even better.

Reactions: XV-1

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks XV-1 and Vienna!

It’s hard for to choose a “favorite “ .... it just really depends on the music and the mood. Having different cartridges to swap in and out makes it even better.
Yes. That is a luxury of having multiple arm cart. You also have a luxury of rolling tubes with your EMT phono so each input can match arm cart for better flavor.
Some combo might have great musicality, more pleasing to the ears on certain kind of music. But for me, in the end, tt with arm cart that give best realism always win. It might sound less pleasing on some music and many pressings but it just fools me real and draw me in most with good records.

* I used to have that stuffed rock pillows in my old condo too. You use them as sound absorber? :D

Reactions: Ovenmitt

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks XV-1 and Vienna!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your collection. Very nice high quality photos too. Could you explain which table/arm/cartridge combinations you prefer for which type of music and why?

I appreciate the fun in having choices. MikeL is doing the same. And it is great for comparisons and education when visitors come over. However, I also appreciate Tang's approach which is just to stick with the combination that is most convincing for the majority of listing. Do you listen roughly equally to all three tables?

Nice looking room also. Could you post some photos of the rest of the room and speakers. What a nice place to hang in when hunkering down.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Yes. That is a luxury of having multiple arm cart. You also have a luxury of rolling tubes with your EMT phono so each input can match arm cart for better flavor.
Some combo might have great musicality, more pleasing to the ears on certain kind of music. But for me, in the end, tt with arm cart that give best realism always win. It might sound less pleasing on some music and many pressings but it just fools me real and draw me in most with good records.

* I used to have that stuffed rock pillows in my old condo too. You use them as sound absorber? :D

Hi Tang,

Yes, the EMT is really a fantastic piece. It is a very fine tool that lets me shape and refine the sound to the music being played and whatever cartridge/TT combo I plug into it. I’ve been thinking about getting an EMT pickup head (maybe a mono?) to try with it - seems silly not to experiment with that combo

* I love that you noticed the wool ’Stones in the corner...... we affectionately call them Mick, Charlie, and Keef.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your collection. Very nice high quality photos too. Could you explain which table/arm/cartridge combinations you prefer for which type of music and why?

I appreciate the fun in having choices. MikeL is doing the same. And it is great for comparisons and education when visitors come over. However, I also appreciate Tang's approach which is just to stick with the combination that is most convincing for the majority of listing. Do you listen roughly equally to all three tables?

Nice looking room also. Could you post some photos of the rest of the room and speakers. What a nice place to hang in when hunkering down.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your compliments on my room and turntable creations.

I just finished building the pearl Garrard. So far it sounds really good, but I don't have it very well dialed in yet. It's the first one-piece plinth (no separate arm pod) that I've built. I think that these turntables really benefit from a more robust power supply and disconnecting the eddy brake; this is next on my list for this one. It should keep sounding better and better as it "settles-in".

The SP10-Mk.3 is refined and very resolving. It is a cleaner more "see-through" presentation with good top to bottom balance. I like to listen to great jazz singers, classical chamber and symphonic music on this deck.

My black Garrard probably sees the most use. It's very dynamic and really swings but also has a nice sense of grace about it. It's very weighty and does a great job with rock, blues, swing, bop, etc. It has a ton of action. I do think the combination of SME 3012-series 1 and SPU is a good one and probably contributes a lot to the package.

The SP10 is the straight-A girl who you bring home to mom and dad. The Garrard is her punk rock sister that you really want to hang out with.

I'll try to post some pictures of my room soon....

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Ovenmitt,

congrats on the beautiful wood plinths, and the whole sense of aesthetic and musical embrace your system projects. got be a satisfying feeling and fabulous place to sit back and enjoy the music. love it!

i can relate on a number of aspects on your efforts; the Blond on Blond theme relates to my whole room being either solid maple finish or finish grade maple ply, i use to have both a 301 (and really miss it.....hence the Saskia) and SP-10 Mk3, and your whole multiple arm/tt direction. i can also relate to your identifying the characteristics of each tt/arm/cart combo and finding the musical/mood match. now that things are finally settled in that area i'm going down that same road. of course; i'm a Bruce Lee fan and us Seattle-ites view him as our guy.

Bravo!!!

Reactions: Ovenmitt

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Wonderful craftsmanship, chapeau!

I guess the equipment rack is also your handy work?

Reactions: PeterA

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Ovenmitt, thank you for the quick response. I love your synopsis at the end summarizing the character. I think it is something we can all relate to. Have you considered adding a belt drive table to your collection and if you did which would it be?

Hi Peter,

Thanks again for your kind comments. Yes, I'd love to add a belt drive table at some point. I think that having yet another perspective would be a lot of fun. I'm honestly not sure what I'd try to go with at this point though. Having said that, if the world were my oyster and David wanted to drop off one of his beautiful American Sound 'tables I think could probably manage okay :)

Reactions: CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing