Blown Woofer super bummed, no repair available for now.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
We are in a temp living situation right now while we look for a home and I set up a secondary system since my Maggies are in storage. I got everything set up, all digital for now, and was listening to LZ at a low level through a pair of Altec Lansing Model 9 Series one speakers when all of a sudden there was a repeating popping noise so loud it sounded like a gun going off. It scared the shit out of me as I scrambled to kill the power the wife came running out wondering what the hell happened.
After we gathered our cookies up I turned the system back on and I now have woofer that is blown. If you push on it you can hear and feel it binding on the voice coil, damn it.
Nobody is accepting repairs right now as I want to keep the original drivers in them. Kinda tired of the headphones as of late.
Also kind of paranoid where the source of the problem is. Did it happen in the speaker itself or was it generated in the preamp or amp. Speaker protection did not trip. The amp and pre are 40 year old Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec two that as far as I know have never been repaired so there are multiple possibilities.

Bummed in Scottsdale.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So sorry to learn of this trouble!

(We have been in a temporary living situation for the last three years, while our house gets repaired. The "stereo" = Qobuz + Arcam integrated amp + Sonos Play 5 speakers. The sound actually is not terrible. Qobuz is great, and DSP-adjusted Sonos Play 5s sound better than they have any right to sound.)

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Sorry to hear, but maybe a good time to try your hand at repairing drivers! :)

I'm not sure exactly what's available but I'd bet you can find a repair kit that would give you a new surround and/or spider depending on what got damaged. If the VC was impacted and off-center or is testing low DCR the cone may need to be replaced too, but it's likely just be a blown surround or spider. Good luck! :)

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Sorry to hear, but maybe a good time to try your hand at repairing drivers! :)

I'm not sure exactly what's available but I'd bet you can find a repair kit that would give you a new surround and/or spider depending on what got damaged. If the VC was impacted and off-center or is testing low DCR the cone may need to be replaced too, but it's likely just be a blown surround or spider. Good luck! :)

I found a kit with a new spider and VC but have to wait till Monday to see if they are shipping, as they say they are not accepting any repairs till the bug is gone. I have replaced surrounds before but never a spider or a VC.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveC

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Hi from what you describe it sounds like your ( voice) coil has come loose and it scrapes the woofers magnet , producing a scraping noise.
What often happens is when you have DC going through the coil it becomes hot and melts the glue and the coil starts to come loose and starts touching the magnet.
If thats the case most likely you have a problem in your amps somewhere which allows DC to go to the speaker .
I think you need to check the amps as well besides repairing or placing a new woofer

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
The amp and pre are 40 year old Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec two that as far as I know have never been repaired so there are multiple possibilities.

Agree with Dave. Probably the culprit. 40 years old is, well, pretty old. Buy a used integrated on Audiogon and be done with it,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing