BlueSound PowerNode 2i

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
I've been recommending the $900 BlueSound PowerNode 2i to a few people who were looking for the core of a thoroughly modern music system with decent performance for not too much money. Just add speakers. Those who purchased it have been ecstatic. Most online reviewers have been enthusiastic.

Assuming you listen to classical music in a smallish room with fortes at your listening seat in the 85 dB range as I do (as measured by, say, the SPL meter tool of the free AudioTools app for iPhone or iPad using C-weighting, slow) the included 60 watts per channel amp should be plenty for most any speakers. That is actually quite a loud level, a bit louder than renowned pop music mastering engineer Bob Katz recommends for monitoring high dynamic range music in the control room. See: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/354863-how-set-83db-listening-levels.html

This unit is about as complete in terms of feature set as they come: It is Roon Ready; compatible with all the usual suspects (and then some) in terms of streaming services; has an analog/digital input for a turntable or CD player, a USB slot for playback of your music files from a thumb drive or other USB-connected drive; does full MQA decoding as well as PCM up to 24/192, connects to your internet network via Wi-Fi or ethernet; and is all controlled from your smartphone or tablet by the user-friendly, reliable, and attractive BluOS operating system app. The unit is also truly tiny at only 8.7" x 2.75"x 7.5" and 3.8 pounds.

In another thread I look at the possibility of using an iPad Pro with a USB-C output jack and 1 TB internal hard drive as a streamer. That's a nice option, but that level of iPad Pro costs about $1,500. A 1 TB USB stick can be had for less than $200. With that added to the BlueSound, you are still much less expensive than such an iPad and you have amps and additional functionality thrown in. Granted, the BlueSound is not a general purpose device and is not portable--it's a dedicated music component, billed as a "wireless multi-room music streaming amplifier."

Don't overlook this BlueSound option if you are thinking of reconfiguring your system or adding a nice neat core for a second system. I'm thinking about buying one myself as the crazy core of a simple system aimed at auditioning vintage speakers I've never owned or once owned and regret passing along.

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello Tim,

I want to play Qobuz through my big stereo with sound quality somewhat greater than I would achieve by directing with a "Y" adapter the analog stereo output of my iPhone to a line level analog input on my line stage preamplifier.

So could I simply connect an Ethernet cable from my internet router to this Bluesound device, and direct the analog audio output of this Bluesound device to an input on my line stage preamplifier, and play Qobuz on the big stereo with Qobuz track selection controlled by my iPhone?

Thank you.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Ron, you can use the BSN2i wireless or with an Ethernet cable. Then coaxial (or optical) out straight into [EDIT:] a DAC or you can L&R RCA out from the BSN2i into your pre if you do not have a DAC. You use the phone to control what the BSN2i plays via a controller (app). It's best to run it through a DAC though. The onboard DAC isn't.....shall I say.....worthy of a hi-fi rig.

Tom

Last edited:

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Ron, the system components you list show nothing digital at all; I don't see any DAC. If you have no DAC, you will need to take the analog output of the BlueSound into your preamp. You would need to use the DAC in the BlueSound.

My mention of the BlueSound PowerNode 2i was meant to be an "all in one" unit for those who truly want a very simple system with decent sound--just add speakers. In your system, you would not need the PowerNode 2i, just the Node 2i, which now costs only $450. The Node 2i skips the power amp part and is an even smaller box.

As treitz3 says, the BlueSound can get Qobuz from your network either via Wi-Fi or ethernet and you would use your iPhone to control what the BlueSound plays.

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Idgit (me). Thanks for clarifying @tmallin. I have edited my post to reflect this. Good catch!

As an added note. You can control it on pretty much any device that supports the control panel. I-Phone, Kindle, laptop, desktop, Android and the like. If the device supports the controller? You can control whatever is being played on your "big stereo" when using the BSN2i. So long as that device can access or is within range of your home wi-fi network? You can do anything you want with your rig remotely. This includes mute and volume.

I do not recommend tone controls on the BSN2i. It affects the sound too much for me, even from afar.

The only thing that bites is if you are digging a tune and your wife doesn't like it? Her device can change the tune or mute it without you knowing....which could potentially give you a heart attack, thinking that something went horribly wrong with your system! Trust me, I know from experience. LOL

Tom

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much, Tim and Tom!

Yes, Tom, I can imagine that would be somewhat heart-stopping.:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing