Bohemian Rhapsody | Official Trailer [HD] | 20th Century FOX

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

We saw this movie today and for me this (to date) is one of the best films of the year even though MRQE.com gave it a 56%

IMO Rami Malek will be nominated for Best Actor and he gets my vote portraying Freddie Mercury

Cast: Rami Malek, Joseph Mazzello, Ben Hardy, Gwilym Lee, Joe Mazzello, Aiden Gillen, Lucy Boynton, Aidan Gillen, Tom Hollander, Allen Leech, Mike Myers
Director: Bryan Singer, Dexter Fletcher
Writer: Justin Haythe
Rating: PG-13
Running Time: 135 min.
Synopsis:Singer Freddie Mercury, guitarist Brian May, drummer Roger Taylor and bass guitarist John Deacon take the music world by storm when they form the rock 'n' roll band Queen in 1970. Hit songs like "Killer Queen," "Bohemian Rhapsody, "We Are the Champions" and "We Will Rock You" become instant classics. When Mercury's increasingly wild lifestyle starts to spiral out of control, Queen soon faces its greatest challenge yet -- finding a way to keep the band together amid the success and excess

This film is drama, comedy and rock and roll with pathos interspersed. The ending will have you in your seats watching the rolling credits.

Mike Myers has a role and is so disguised that he is difficult to make out.

If you're a Queen fan this is one heck of a movie to see

This film will launch the movie career of Rami Malek

A big thumb's up

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
The reviews weren't great so I thought I would skip this one. Looks like I should reconsider and go watch it.

Steve Williams

As I said, MRQE which is the benchmark I use gave it only a 56%. Bottom line is Rami Malek is so good in the role that IMO that alone is reason to see the movie. My wife and daughter who so far have felt A Star is Born was their favorite picture, did an about face last night as they both loved Bohemian Rhapsody. My daughter was only 2 years old when he died of AIDS related pneumonia. The last scenes of the movie at the Live Aid Concert were superb. They hadn't played together in years and their performance at that concert was truly epic. Rami Malek was mesmerizing in the role.To me so far he is my nominee for Best Actor this year (although in the trailers Clint Eastwood at the age of 88 looks darn good in The Mule

Good or bad movie will be determined by each viewer. For me, I learned things that in all the years I've listened to Queen, I never knew...For instance I was stunned to learn he was of Farsi descent and was bisexual rather than gay.......his given name was Farrokh Bulsara. My daughter and I share the same birthday and of note that day in 1991 was the day he died

From wikipedia......

Farrokh Bulsara (5 September 1946 – 24 November 1991), known professionally as Freddie Mercury, was a British singer, songwriter and record producer, best known as the lead vocalist of the rock band Queen. He was known for his flamboyant stage persona and four-octave vocal range. Mercury wrote numerous hits for Queen, including "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Killer Queen", "Somebody to Love", "Don't Stop Me Now", "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", and "We Are the Champions". He led a solo career while performing with Queen, and occasionally served as a producer and guest musician for other artists.

Mercury was born of Farsi descent on Zanzibar, and grew up there and in India before moving with his family to Middlesex, England, in his late teens. He formed Queen in 1970 with guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor. Mercury died in 1991 at age 45 due to complications from AIDS, having confirmed the day before his death that he had contracted the disease.

In 1992, Mercury was posthumously awarded the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to British Music, and a tribute concert was held at Wembley Stadium, London. As a member of Queen, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001, the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2003, and the UK Music Hall of Fame in 2004. In 2002, he was placed number 58 in the BBC's 2002 poll of the 100 Greatest Britons. He is consistently voted one of the greatest singers in the history of popular music

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Agree w Steve. Its definitely a good movie and worth a trip to the theater as it is worthy of the Big Screen for the music immersion benefits alone.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Most music artist movies are really only good to the fans who will obsess over them short of being entire flops. If this is an actual good movie that is different, I may make the time for it.

Steve Williams

Most music artist movies are really only good to the fans who will obsess over them short of being entire flops. If this is an actual good movie that is different, I may make the time for it.

The only thing I obsessing about was how good an actor Rami Malek was in that role. The story was long and even in spite of the length it seemed there was so much of the story that was quickly told or quickly passed over. The film was OK but not great. For me it was how good the music was done and how exceptionally well Rami Malek convinced me that he was Freddie Mercury

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I saw the movie today thought it was worth going to see for sure, quite good actually. The use of the song Fat Bottomed Girls was out of sequence chronologically in the story.
Rami did a stellar acting job. Without question a watered down version of events to focus on Freddies personal issues.
From the minds of some of the most tortured artist's comes the best music/art,

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
I am a Queen fan, and read the not so good reviews. The comments here plus the trailer makes me want to go see it.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
saw the Queen biopic yesterday - i thought the Live Aid concert at the end was great, but the rest was pretty shallow and average. Can't say the biography part was very good at all (Mike Myers for one) despite the good music intermixed in between

Rami Malek could have used a much better script as he could sure strut his stuff well on the performance parts just like Mercury. Although I'm still not sold on the prosthetic teeth they used, but that's trivial. Ha

I've read that a lot of this film is chronologically inaccurate which is disappointing as well - i figured as much.

Steve Williams

There are chronologically incorrect data in virtually every biopic. I agree about the teeth and the story. Having said that Rami Malek is the story. I’ll. be shocked if he doesn’t win the Oscar for best actor.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Saw it at Cinerama in downtown Seattle. Much, much better than anticipated. Agree that Rami Malek will be nominated for an Oscar. Thought the actor who played Brian May did a great job.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We saw Bohemian Rhapsody today and enjoyed the movie.

Agree that Rami Malek was quite good as Freddie Mercury. However, it was one of the few times in a movie like this that the actual person portrayed was more handsome them the actor who played them.

After seeing the movie the mediocre reviews seem to miss the mark - but opinions vary for movies.

Steve Williams

I can’t disagree about handsomeness of one or the other but having seen Malik in his TV show without the mouthpiece he’s an average joe. The kid is certainly buff if that was his body we saw.

I also remember Freddie Mercury as being taller than Malik but heck if 5’6” Tom Cruise can play Jack Reacher whose character is 6’5” and 250 then I say “why not”

I know the best movies are yet to come in these next 2 months but to date he gets my vote for Best Actor. There’s been no one close IMO

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I went to the movies today. I enjoyed it immensly. I'm kind of surprised to read the lukewarm reviews afterwards. I may go once again - I want my 14 year old daughter to see it.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I saw the movie today. I agree with Steve and others that Rami Malek was sensational as Freddie Mercury.

However the chronological falsehoods threw cold water on what could have been pure magic. Hi-FiGuy mentioned Fat Bottomed Girls being out of sequence, and so was the birth of We Will Rock You; it came after a scene from 1980 (!). I thought there was something else that wasn't right, but don't remember now. Also, why did the film have to claim that the band had not performed for years before Live Aid? That's just a lie, they were on tour (The Works Tour) the year before!

Had the movie not had those easily avoidable faults -- throwing them in for drama really accomplishes nothing -- it could have been wonderful. I did tear up a bit during the Live Aid show, that was superb.

Steve Williams

I can live with things out of sequence because Malek was so good nothing else mattered

The Live Aid concert IMO cinched Malek’s Oscar for Best Actior

A Star Is Born was our favorite movie until we saw Bohemian Rhapsody.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
The chronological issue wasn't a problem for me since I didn't remember the original timing anyway. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing