Boots

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Anyone else like boots?

I'm needing another pair. Oh what do I get? My problem is that sooo many manufacturers only stay within sizes that women would also order or something? I'm size 14, not terribly unique, and yet it's a pain.

The boots I've been wanting since my last pair went out on my is some Allen Edmond Yumas. They were just insanely good. The comfort, super supple, not overly supportive... It kills me they stopped selling them. The aren't rebuildable either, which is a major down side, but damn they're nice.

I've tried Wolverine 1000 mile, and they're decent. But I feel like the price is climbing past their value. Your heel isn't exactly comforted in them, and a lot of them have the leather front sole which disintegrates quickly.

Some that I've been browsing:

Allen Edmond Normandy

I hear lots of good things about the Alden Indy boot, but I must confess it isn't my favorite style... Maybe it'd look great in person. People say they're darn good boots. It's the only boot they make in my size...

There's lots of other possible good manufacturers, but they don't have my size. Oakstreet looks nice, but all girl sizes.

I've mostly shy'd from anything too designer oriented. They've failed under walking. I can't even recall the brand names... junky, most of it. For awhile the Thursday Boot Co looked like they were some new place offering well made boots at smarter direct prices or something... but pictures I've seen of actual product don't look good. Just another fake/disappointment startup.

Do any of you share the affinity for boots? I just straight up like wearing pants and boots...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The only boots I wear are hiking boots. VERY comfortable and can take a lot of abuse when I'm teaching motorcycle safety.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hard to beat Red Wing Iron Rangers for casual...

I'm a huge Allen Edmonds fan. In boots, Dalton being the dressier classic. Their big sale just ended however.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
White’s are too close to a rider heel for me, and I don’t log, fight forest fires, or ride a Harley so Wesco isn’t really for me. I am pretty familiar with White’s, as they are local to me. Most of the old employees who didn’t retire went and made Nick’s, which is also local here.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Is Danner any good?

A local boot place for work boots seems to think they're decent. I haven't had any.

One of the interesting things between people and boot preferances is how much ankle support people like. I don't like much, some people want a lot.

thase13

VIP/Donor
Feb 22, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
White’s are too close to a rider heel for me, and I don’t log, fight forest fires, or ride a Harley so Wesco isn’t really for me. I am pretty familiar with White’s, as they are local to me. Most of the old employees who didn’t retire went and made Nick’s, which is also local here.
Understood. Wesco does collaborations that are more lifestyle oriented (https://www.ironheartamerica.com/boots2/) but sizing is more restricted. I concur, Nick's does make a very nice work boot.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ah yes, they make more-daily boots, just not in my size... Numerous times I have been excited to find boots that look like my ticket, only to then find they stop at 10-12 in size.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I do like Harrison Ford...

I’m curious how they comfort the heel. I don’t lile real soft, but I like a little shape so it doesnt feel like a flat surface. AE’s are good about that. They work well with my feet. I might be fat but I have feet of a thin person so they are long, somewhat wide at toes, but the heel area is fit and trim. But it seems like a lot of people have giant unintentional clubs for feet - that cannot even articulate toes where as I can wave them and pick stuff up.

Funny enough I do like flat but not unless the entire shoe is flat (no inlcine towards heel). I cut out the support from Tom’s and use a pair for driving during the summer when socks aren’t in season. I have a dream to make some wood sandles some day, but have yet to figure out material and mounting. They key to them will be that it’ll be like standing on hardwood.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My personal favs are the Paraboot and the Hanwag Tatra...but these are really trekking boots.
https://www.paraboot.com/en/men/ankle-boots/avoriazjannu-noire-lis-noir
I have the Avioraz in black...super comfortable and because they are pretty high-polish, can often get away with them when traveling and wanting to go out to dinner with jacket casually.

https://www.hanwag.com/shop/hanwag-tatra-ii-H200110-erde-brown/
But really for trekking...but insanely comfortable. Dont go 16 miles in them straight away...but good right out of the box for everyday walking

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
My boots are pretty plebian but I've worn boots pretty much my entire life...

For work boots it is Red Wing. Learned from my Grandfather to not buy cheap work boots.

For cowboy boots, which these days I use for dress and not riding (or very rarely), I wear Nocona (started by a woman and I find them a little more comfortable than Tony Llama or Justin etc.) I do still have and occasionally wear a pair of hand-made Sanders, a splurge one summer when I got a good deal from the guy and after an unexpected summer bonus, and besides I got married in those boots (almost 34 years ago).

For comfy cowboy-style boots I wear Ariat. Cushion inserts that are very comfortable though I find them a bit hot.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Paraboot looks like they have some real nice stuff, in small sizes.

Don, 34 years? Now that is a good run!

etunes

Jan 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
R.M. Williams is a great brand.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I have a couple pair of nice boots from Peter Nappi but recently prices have been climbing. I paid <$200 on sale but rrp is now $600+... I just looked at their site and was surprised to find prices up pretty high vs a few years ago. However, sales can be good.

Maybe Shoto, The Last Conspiracy, Oak St...

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Sadly most of those are size 13 tops. Also I refuse to do leather bottoms, that last like a month.

Keith turned me onto Rancourt who has a lot and any size. They likely make AE and Alden boots I've read is the speculation.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
You can add a thin Vibram sole to any leather soled shoe for ~$40 or so and it's replaceable. It makes them useable in weather too, a little rain or snow is no big deal. I like the look of leather soled shoes too, although I mostly wear sneakers these days. Luckily I don't have to do the biz-casual thing anymore, ugh. Everyone needs to burn their polo shirts. ;)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith turned me onto Rancourt who has a lot and any size. They likely make AE and Alden boots I've read is the speculation.

Rancourt, AE, and Alden seem to be the value curve for well-made shoes. Viberg the other for boots.

I would actually order Alden as I think its a notch above, but don't believe they make a v-tread type sole covering which I require. Also, Alden is impossible to demo in LA surprisingly.

I recently ordered some AEs in shell cordovan :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Nice. Everyone should own a shell cordovan at some point in life.

There's a local place that seems like they're probably about as good as you can get construction wise. I'm just not sure whether I'd end up liking them and return policy well... on customs... I haven't seen any examples from them for style I like. They tend to use real thick well treated leather that's PERFECT for outdoor work boots, but for style? That's another story. Right now they're fixing a pair of 1000 miles for me, which I wasn't sure if they were worth it but they seemed to think they'd get them worked out nice.

When it comes to boots I like them so much that it is literally like I can't decide, because there's so many. Maybe I should just order all of them? I'm really bad at not buying anything when decisions are hard.

Here's some more hot boots I've been eye-balling.

Rancourt Country Oxfords: They're maybe too plain? The back looks boring, but that's always covered for me with pants.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing