Boots

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Brighton is on a pre-sale: They're a little fancier than I've had, but people sport them daily?

The Knox is a bit more between, kinda tall, but very charming in brown.

I've never had black before, but the Byron is more of an ankle boot and it's got some style for black.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Dave, I like these from Peter Nappi but they don't do my size. The only ones in my size from PN are $2k, and I'd rather have 4 pairs than one if I get the itch to buy a bunch.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'm not a huge fan of work/dress hybrid boots. For most, I think a beat-up pair of work-type boots work best and actual shoes for more dressed-up occasions. Some of the classic Italian styles of work boot can work for anything but the 1st 2 you posted are just bad. The last one is near identical to 1000 miles, for American work boots they are nice but the resurgence of raw denim and American workwear is over. Thank god...

Yeah, those Nappi prices are through the roof. A few years ago they were 40% less and always a decent selection on sale for reasonable prices. I have 3 pair of shoes from them I got under $200. Oh well...

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I have to totally disagree. I find good casual boots are considerably better for daily life, short of using chainsaws. They look nice, feel nice, and keep stuff out. They also get nice looks as they age. I will post photos of my 1000 miles next week. I didnt tree them so they have a look people are paying an extra $600 for on top. If I had something a little dressier I would stuff the cedar trees in.

And raw denim or any other quality denim I fully support. So far I haven’t looked hard enough to find any that fit me, and may never. Fact is for me I have total failure in Levi’s several times a year. They’re just too cheap, but they look good and most importantly have such wide variety in shape and size I can wear something that actually fits.

My biggest issue with boots is that most of the year is too hot, and then if it’s too wet outside from snow they aren’t going to cut it. But generally unless I have to do something outside for extended perioss they are fine during winter.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Let me clarify:

I like 1000 miles when they get nice and worn-in... they are not dress boots. They go well with lots of outfits too. I've had a pair I liked a lot.

I don't like dress boots in general, I prefer regular shoes for dressier occasions and work boots for everything else. The exception is some Italian style work boots which can work well for almost anything. The only ones you posted I like are the black ones that look almost identical to 1000 miles. :)

Quality denim is more than ok, it's the whole workwear outfit where people dress up as lumberjacks or carpenters or whatever and guys grow ridiculous beards to match. IMO the whole workwear for casual use trend is fading out. Which is good imo, it was way overdone.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Like this guy:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Oh, you mean the EURO fashion style? Where they were paying hundreds of dollars for well used Carhartts?

I'm down with beards. But I can see why people dressing in work specific clothes for fashion is... silly, doesn't even look great.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Since I visited this thread and looked @ all the boots members are wearing, and searching for my own boots on the internet, everywhere I surf now I got boots advertisements.
I am expecting boots junk emails ... lol.

I should stick with music. ...The kind of boots that when you put them on you hear your favorite tunes.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Nice. Everyone should own a shell cordovan at some point in life.

Yes, they should. So a pair of burgundy LHS loafers are arriving next week. I find it funny they still cost less than a pair of ICs ;)

I like the Byron of those 4 Rancourts best - though prefer some other color leathers they have.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Oh, you mean the EURO fashion style? Where they were paying hundreds of dollars for well used Carhartts?

I'm down with beards. But I can see why people dressing in work specific clothes for fashion is... silly, doesn't even look great.

It is/was here too... people grew ridiculous beards to match their lumberjack/miner/carpenter outfits and spent far too much money on "classic workwear". Raw denim was sized 2 sizes too small and not washed for months to get that worn-in look. People would put their jeans in the freezer to kill the smell instead of washing. It was fashion's dark days. Around here it was mostly the hipster coffee-shop dwelling crowd.

Here in Boulder everyone used to wear their mountaineering gear everywhere too, luckily that has died down for the most part too. :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Now I hear that. You don't need Patagonia to go to coffee shop or grocery shopping :rolleyes:

Keith, I've been wanting the more tan/yellowish color, and the brown kinda like the top banner of WBF can't go wrong... The problem is the Byron comes in another color or two but they're exclusive to other websites that stop at size 13 :rolleyes:

golfguide

Nov 23, 2018
White's are excessively near a rider heel for me, and I don't log, battle timberland flames, or ride a Harley so Wesco isn't generally for (best golf clubs brands) me. I am entirely comfortable with White's, as they are nearby to me. The greater part of the old representatives who didn't resign went and made Nick's, which is additionally nearby here.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
My 1000 miles where polished by the guy who did the soles. I am not really a fan of the way the polish looks, so I am waiting for it to wear off before I post. I would have prefered no polish. Right now I need to check if they can get a new insole, as the now taller heel feels weird, and I cannot walk in them with the front being worn down on the insole (or something).

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
So these have been my winter boots. Rancourt Byron, they are a blake with a storm welt. Because they're black I waterproofed them, along with the storm welt they're good for the weather. They're fairly comfortable but the toe cap has taken some time to break in because it pushes into the foot when the boot bends for the toes. I also added some appropriate length shoes laces because the stock were silly short, not even enough to get to top eyelets.

byron.jpg

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Anything w laces are a waste of time....slip-ons are the only way to go....

What about Blundstone ?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
My feet tend to be too loose in many slip ons. But I love slip ons sockless for summer (not boots).

I might get some RM Williams. I'm interested in Chelsea or side zip. I move like molasses until I'm in dire need for footwear :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I've been hearing mixed things about AE after being bought I think last year (again)

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
A a builder I got tired of having to throw out work boots every two years so I invested in a pair of hand made Viberg work boots that could be resoled. Typically cost of work boots was around $150 to $225. Either the sole/heel would wear out or the seams simply break. Viberg were custom made to my foot and were $420. Some 10 years later, resoled twice at a cost of $60 (sent back to Viberg) they are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned.
Since Viberg was on Dragon's Den, (similar to Shark Tank) one of the investors bought into Viberg and now also make premium hand made fashion boots that are sold all over the world. Plus still hand made in Victoria, BC.

Reactions: Folsom

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I have been happy with Alden boots. I have a pair in black shell with a commando rubber sole. They are my winter boots and great for work in the winter.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing