Boulder to Gryphon

alvinjamur

Dec 14, 2020
My system was Innuos-Statement -> dCS Rossini+Clock -> Boulder 2110 -> Boulder 2160 -> Magico M3. I have Tyr2 power throughout and am using Qbase8/4 and Qx2/Qx4 with V2 for speaker cables. I was able to live with the setup for about 7 months. For some reason, things did not seem relaxing anymore. I was not being drawn into listen. I might have had way too much resolution on the chain. Sounded great but something missing....so.....

I've always wanted to go into Gryphon land. Given that I've heard of 'em and spoken of in hallowed terms and since it seemed like all their gear is hell bent on world domination....I'm wondering what intel I could gather on how these play along with Nordost Tyr2 for interconnects and Nordost V2 for speaker cables? What other tethers have people tried and have had success with?

Thanks!

aLV

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Sorry but I can't help on this. But you have some serious gear! Congrats on your current setup and I'm sure your next setup will be just as awesome.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
We used Gryphon with TA Opus cables to excellent effect. We have been using TA for 15 years or so...extremely happy with them.

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
Latest Gryphon cables are excellent. Open, fast, dynamic. If you want more relaxed cable but still resolutive enough try Hijiri top cables. The best cable I have tried in the last few years is Boenicke top cable which combines magnificent musicality with openness and great staging.

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
You might indeed have too much clarity and resolution in the chain, which both Boulder and Magico are known for. That said, replacing the Boulder likely isn't the answer, this new generation of Boulder is very musical. The Boulder and Magico are only reproducing what's upstream. The problem is your source. Before you make wholesale changes to your amplification, it might save you a lot of headache, money and time to home demo a MSB Reference dac first.

I recently auditioned the full Vivaldi stack against a MSB Select II in a Wilson XVX system, and found the Vivaldi's sound entirely unengaging in comparison. It had great clarity but also more sibilance. The sound wasn't quite weaved into as cohesive of a music presentation as MSB. It was more cerebral in a way where I was constantly analyzing the sound while listening. With the MSB playing the same songs, I had to physically force myself to take listening notes as I was just lost in the music and immersed in the acoustic space. I just wanted to keep listening.

Last edited:

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
Also Nordost cables do tend to highlight detail, although the series 2 (V2) do it in a less tipped up, more balanced and natural way. If you want to try something different in cables to make your system more liquid, the Silversmith Fidilium SC is amazing, and competes with V2 (don't judge it on its price). Audioquest power cables (Hurricane, Firebird) will give more body and bigger sound stage on the preamp with more liquidity but diminished imaging focus. All that said, again I'm 90% sure the MSB dac will give you what it is that you're missing. It makes sense to try that first, then tweaks and cables after.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
You might try an Elrod Master cable. This will certainly draw you into the music. Just a suggestion. Was never impressed by Nordost but… this is also just an opinion. Whatever you do: I hope you succeed in getting past the ‘audiophile fascination‘ and start to enjoy again what it is all about > MUSIC:)!

alvinjamur

Dec 14, 2020
Thanks for the suggestsions....I'm ending up with the following :

Gryphon Antileon Evo
Gryphon Pandora
Gryphon VIP Ref Interconnects
Gryphon Vanta Speaker Cables
Gryphon Pantheon for speakers....

When my listening room is ready, I'll end up getting the Magico M6 for that space....

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
My system was Innuos-Statement -> dCS Rossini+Clock -> Boulder 2110 -> Boulder 2160 -> Magico M3. I have Tyr2 power throughout and am using Qbase8/4 and Qx2/Qx4 with V2 for speaker cables. I was able to live with the setup for about 7 months. For some reason, things did not seem relaxing anymore. I was not being drawn into listen. I might have had way too much resolution on the chain. Sounded great but something missing....so.....

I've always wanted to go into Gryphon land. Given that I've heard of 'em and spoken of in hallowed terms and since it seemed like all their gear is hell bent on world domination....I'm wondering what intel I could gather on how these play along with Nordost Tyr2 for interconnects and Nordost V2 for speaker cables? What other tethers have people tried and have had success with?

Thanks!

aLV
Interesting how people react differently to gear. I auditioned the Gryphon Pandora in my room in 2019 and did not like it at all. The preamp I had at the time, ARC Ref40, was IMO much better. The Boulder 1110 was better than the Ref 40. So I now have an all Boulder amp chain (1110/3060) for my YGXVs. But everyone has to reach their own conclusions.

I don't understand the "way too much resolution" view. If the artists put sound on recordings, if the composer wrote the notes in the score, If the orchestra played it, if the singers sang it, don't you want to hear it?

Can you give examples of tracks where you noticed this and tracks that you like better with the Gryphon gear even though there is less resolution?

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
That is not what he is talking about. The Gryphon sound is a different flavor than the Boulder. He likes the Gryphon better in his home and you like the Boulder in yours. I don't see a problem.

Reactions: Frankie67

alvinjamur

Dec 14, 2020
“clinical” versus “not clinical”.
perhaps it wud have sounded different if i had used a diff dac…..

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Interesting how people react differently to gear. I auditioned the Gryphon Pandora in my room in 2019 and did not like it at all. The preamp I had at the time, ARC Ref40, was IMO much better. The Boulder 1110 was better than the Ref 40. So I now have an all Boulder amp chain (1110/3060) for my YGXVs. But everyone has to reach their own conclusions.

I don't understand the "way too much resolution" view. If the artists put sound on recordings, if the composer wrote the notes in the score, If the orchestra played it, if the singers sang it, don't you want to hear it?

Can you give examples of tracks where you noticed this and tracks that you like better with the Gryphon gear even though there is less resolution?
Organic resolution (hard to explain what that means, but I think you know) is the key. Bareboned resolution isn’t. And you can never have enough resolution (The right kind).

Jack Pot

Nov 13, 2021

Thanks!

aLV
Save yourself a fortune: do not upgrade until you got your foundation right! See my post in the Tweaks forum.
I have a similar set-up. The problem is (i) internal resonance/ vibration of the equipment itself (ii) unclean power.
Solve (i) with proper bases/ pucks and (ii) with a power regenerator (I use Isotek Mosaic) and the best power cords money can buy (buy 2nd hand!). But (i) remains paramount. Your system WILL sing!

Reactions: GuyB and hogen

alvinjamur

Dec 14, 2020
good basic advice and all but have u read my equipment list?? sp power, furniture etc., ??

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I might not make a big jump either. One piece at a time. This is about fine tuning now. I was feeling my setup a bit bright. I bought an Intona USB and that alone absolutely changed my digital playback.

Reactions: Happily Trying

TDX

Jan 14, 2020

Thanks!

aLV
Before you selling the boulders, I will consider change your cable first. I like Stealth and purist audio design (PAD).

Then possibly the dcs gears. try a different dac. Your system are revealing, you will be able to tell the difference. Hopefully you can borrow some. Then you can decide whether to change to gryphon.

Reactions: GSOphile

Tony007

Dec 29, 2012
I have Boulder 2110 and 3060 on M3‘s. Yes indeed, all you need to do is change the cables.

Reactions: GuyB

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
Thanks for the suggestsions....I'm ending up with the following :

Gryphon Antileon Evo
Gryphon Pandora
Gryphon VIP Ref Interconnects
Gryphon Vanta Speaker Cables
Gryphon Pantheon for speakers....

When my listening room is ready, I'll end up getting the Magico M6 for that space....
Hi Alvinjamur, do you mind sharing some of your thoughts on the sonic differences you experienced from this change, both intellectually/objectively and emotionally/subjectively?

Reactions: alvinjamur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing