Bricasti M20 or Ayre KX-5 Twenty

Mman

Mar 2, 2023
Dear enthusiasts

I have may have the opportunity to lay my hands on one of these, both on the used market in Norway, where I live. I would like to ask your advice on choosing between these - I consider both being ultra-high end but have a hard time finding out which is considered better than the other. Even though my main priority is SQ, the HT passthrough option, that I would use, is only available on the Ayre If I am correct. I have a Benchmark LA-4 today that I am very happy with, it's the best preamp I have ever owned, but I am curious if I will reach even higher levels of SQ by replacing it with the Ayre or Bricasti. My sound preference is neutral sound reproduction. I have tried tubes earlier, but find the sound is too "flavored" for me. Appreciate any advice, especially if anyone has heard both and compared them directly.

Cheers, Mman

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
I owned the Benchmark HP4 (same circuit plus headphone output) and it was the best preamp I ever owned. But no preamp is better than no preamp at all I've found. Unless you have analog sources, my suggestion would be to go with one of the Lumin front ends, even the least expensive U2 Mini. They all have Leedh DSP processed variable volume controls. The Lumin straight into my power amps has been the only volume control solution I've heard which bests the Benchmark.

Reactions: Mman

Mman

Mar 2, 2023
@tmallin Thanks for your input! I can understand your opinion and I know you are not alone having it. However, do have analog sources at this time, so the need for a preamp is present.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I found the Bricasti M20 to be neutral in my in house demo last year. It did not change the sound signature of my default system using my M21 DAC directly to my amplifiers.

If I needed the analog input functionality it provided, I would have purchased it.

Mman

Mar 2, 2023
@Macattack thank you for sharing, not changing the sound signature is what I am looking for. Regarding the input functionality it's the one thing (when not discussing SQ) where the Ayre clearly is a better choice by providing the HT pass-through that I need. I obviously can turn up the volume manually when selecting HT, but my family members will prefer the convenience and simple operation, I and would not risk forgetting to turn down the volume again when changing back to another source.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
@Macattack thank you for sharing, not changing the sound signature is what I am looking for. Regarding the input functionality it's the one thing (when not discussing SQ) where the Ayre clearly is a better choice by providing the HT pass-through that I need. I obviously can turn up the volume manually when selecting HT, but my family members will prefer the convenience and simple operation, I and would not risk forgetting to turn down the volume again when changing back to another source.
Understood. The Ayre sounds like the better functional fit for you. I have no experience with Ayre gear.

Mman

Mar 2, 2023
Understood. The Ayre sounds like the better functional fit for you. I have no experience with Ayre gear.
I agree. However if there was a majority finding the Bricasti better sounding that would have me choosing it even though…

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
What power amp will you be using?

Buying used units unheard is always a high risk project, where it's hard for anyone to predict your impressions and what you might prefer in your particular system.

Both Bricasti and Ayre makes solid products though which could be classified as "neutral" without being dry or lifeless.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
if tubes are too flavored for you, the Ayre will be a great option. and good value used too these days after the founder passed away.

Mman

Mar 2, 2023
@Hyperion my amp is the Ymer mk II by Bladelius. In my opinion also neutral and works very well with the LA-4. I consider the Ymer revealing and I am very happy with it. It’s massive power and bass control is also something I’ve come to appreciate. Unfortunately I am not in position to buy equipment in this league new, so I’ll have to take my chances…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing