Bricasti M3 DAC

krelldog

Apr 4, 2018
I currently use a Yiggy as my DAC.

I'm considering an upgrade in the 5-6K range.

I'm looking for opinions and user experiences with the Bricasti M3.

Any and all opinions appreciated.

VerdantAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2020
I have on currently out at a customer who is waiting on delivery of their new unit.

The M3 is musical first. It has a massive soundstage and is incredibly engaging but is not the be all, end all in terms of detail. I would rather listen to Black Sabbath on this DAC than any other I have ever heard regardless of price. You won't gain a ton in detail over the Yiggy but you will gain a lot in terms of soundstage and imaging.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
While I feel both are better than any Yggy variant I've heard, I would suggest going for a used M1SE. It'll run less than $6k and is better than the M3 enough to matter.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
While I feel both are better than any Yggy variant I've heard, I would suggest going for a used M1SE. It'll run less than $6k and is better than the M3 enough to matter.
Having owned an M3 and directly auditioned a buddy’s M1SE with MDx board in my room, I would agree.

If you will use it as your PreAmp also, consider moving to the M21 which has an improved analog output section over either the M3 or M1SE.

Reactions: bazelio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'm glad that my "show conditions" A/B evaluation of M3 vs M1SE in a Bricasti room holds up. It seemed clear enough to be sure at the time.

The M21 was also at that show in the same room, so it was an A/B/C opportunity. The M21 sounded great with DSD. However, with non-DSD material (which would be 99.99% of material I listen to), I didn't feel the M21 price justified the incremental change* vs the M1SE. The M1SE is a real sweet spot, IMO.

*change: I'm not even sure I'd call it an overall improvement. It was "different" for sure. Smoother (maybe to a fault?).

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Both DACs are good. But I'd only ever a consider the M3 used because the used price of the M1SE is right around the usual retail price of a new M3, IIRC. Maybe his margins are higher on the M3. Who knows. But "more musical" is not it. :D

Last edited:

krelldog

Apr 4, 2018
Out of curiosity...at the above mentioned price point....what other DAC's should I consider?

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
You would be well served to call Bricasti and speak with Brian Zolner. He is a great guy and would openly discuss his products and how they differ internally. Doing so would allow you to make an even more informed decision.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing