ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hi Kcin

in my opinion, Opus is the Emperor who rules them all, but I wouldnt live without Atlas lambda too.

i was very relieved when a friend bought my Etsuro Gold.

you can’t go wrong with the Atlas Lambda and or Opus

Hello Vienna, many thanks for sharing your impressions. Would be great if you could post some videos with Opus....preferably some up tempo jazz or even So What or anything from Miles or perhaps Koln Concert. I am looking forward to checking out the Balance at some point. Happy listening.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Hello Vienna, many thanks for sharing your impressions. Would be great if you could post some videos with Opus....preferably some up tempo jazz or even So What or anything from Miles or perhaps Koln Concert. I am looking forward to checking out the Balance at some point. Happy listening.

i don’t know which turntable you currently have, but if you are in the market for a new one, Brinkmann Balance is one of those you should definitely audition.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Reading Brinkmann notes on Sinus motor (https://www.brinkmann-audio.de/main.php?prod=sinus&lang=en) : QUOTE....For over two decades we relied on the well-regarded German manufacturer Papst to supply capstan motors for our belt drive turntables. ...UNQUOTE

Well, I had to pay over 4,000 euro and a month of back and a forths, in order to discover the reason for which, Brinkmann is not anymore using PAPST motors.

In comparison Brinkmann Sinus (with the 500grams flywheel) is the king in silent, vibration free, resonance free and all-analogue smooth operation (this is reflected through measurements and listening). I should have paid more attention to Brinkmann’s white paper.
(photo from Brinkmann site) BBB45842-2EA1-4CE4-95E2-7ADBB2380174.jpeg

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reading Brinkmann notes on Sinus motor (https://www.brinkmann-audio.de/main.php?prod=sinus&lang=en) : QUOTE....For over two decades we relied on the well-regarded German manufacturer Papst to supply capstan motors for our belt drive turntables. ...UNQUOTE

Well, I had to pay over 4,000 euro and a month of back and a forths, in order to discover the reason for which, Brinkmann is not anymore using PAPST motors.

In comparison Brinkmann Sinus (with the 500grams flywheel) is the king in silent, vibration free, resonance free and all-analogue smooth operation (this is reflected through measurements and listening). I should have paid more attention to Brinkmann’s white paper.
(photo from Brinkmann site) View attachment 71831
I told you there was a big flywheel involved in the Brinkmann drive system ;)
The flywheel makes operation super smooth and absorbs any micro-variations from pulsation of motor poles. I have a 220 V version of the Pabst capstan motor used in the AS 2000 and TechDas Zero TT's, it is good without a flywheel, but i prefer the sound of the Studer A 80 motor with a 5 kg integrated flywheel that i also own. Im sure that with a large flywheel the way David and TechDas uses it, it is much better. But the Studer Pabst motor is not a quiet motor, it has bearing noise, but is far from my listening position, i can not hear it when listening to music, but just knowing it makes noise would drive you crazy Savvas !;)

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I told you there was a big flywheel involved in the Brinkmann drive system ;)
The flywheel makes operation super smooth and absorbs any micro-variations from pulsation of motor poles. I have a 220 V version of the Pabst capstan motor used in the AS 2000 and TechDas Zero TT's, it is good without a flywheel, but i prefer the sound of the Studer A 80 motor with a 5 kg integrated flywheel that i also own. Im sure that with a large flywheel the way David and TechDas uses it, it is much better. But the Studer Pabst motor is not a quiet motor, it has bearing noise, but is far from my listening position, i can not hear it when listening to music, but just knowing it makes noise would drive you crazy Savvas !;)

My friend it’s not only the audible noise of Papst motors or the lack of flywheel, there are resonances too, measured from 38 to 48 Hz, also the measured vibrations levels are almost double comparing with the Brinkmann Sinus which doesn’t produce any audible sound and resonance

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
My friend it’s not only the audible noise of Papst motors or the lack of flywheel, there are resonances too, measured from 38 to 48 Hz, also the measured vibrations levels are almost double comparing with the Brinkmann Sinus which doesn’t produce any audible sound and resonance
David does say that Pabst don't build motors the way they used to, there is a reason he uses a motor that was last built in the 70's, Brinkmann obviously builds the motor that is perfect for their TT and in corporation with their very special tube controller, unbeatable ! But you had to try , kudos for effort Savvas ! :)

Reactions: mtemur and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Thanks Savvas for sharing this. I realy appreciate that Brinkman publishes information on their drive technologies. I like open TT companies unafraid of competition.

Not quite sure how to read your comment on the Pabst. Are you saying you prefer the Sinus motor that came with your Balance over the specialty Pabst you acquired separately? If so, I admire your own openness about that 'experiment'.

Without knowing how current it is, looking at a US dealer page for Brinkman tables, the Balance price is listed at under ~$20k USD (no VAT). Does anyone know if that is close to accurate? If so, that makes the Balance an impressive choice in that price range. Don't know if that includes the RöNt PS.

Reactions: Lagonda

Vienna

VIP/Donor
That’s right Tim, Sinus is superior

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Thanks Savvas for sharing this. I realy appreciate that Brinkman publishes information on their drive technologies. I like open TT companies unafraid of competition.

Not quite sure how to read your comment on the Pabst. Are you saying you prefer the Sinus motor that came with your Balance over the specialty Pabst you acquired separately? If so, I admire your own openness about that 'experiment'.

Without knowing how current it is, looking at a US dealer page for Brinkman tables, the Balance price is listed at under ~$20k USD (no VAT). Does anyone know if that is close to accurate? If so, that makes the Balance an impressive choice in that price range. Don't know if that includes the RöNt PS.
The RöNt PS is not included in the price. Some accessories are not cheap though. When I switched to a SAT tonearm, Brinkmann charged me quite a lot for the bespoke arm board.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
The RöNt PS is not included in the price. Some accessories are not cheap though. When I switched to a SAT tonearm, Brinkmann charged me quite a lot for the bespoke arm board.
Agreed, I love the product, however the arm boards are incredibly expensive.

I made my own , I respect that everyone wants their pound of flesh- but in this case- far too much. These are just off the CNC machine and will go for finishing and anodizing shortly.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 32

Vienna

VIP/Donor
At part time audiophile, The Best Tonearms and Phono Cartridges | Buyers Guide 2021 (https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2020/12/04/the-best-tonearms-and-phono-cartridges-buyers-guide-2021/), reference is made to Kuzma 4P :

Kuzma 4Point ($3,795-8,995 USD depending on length and options)

Named for the fact that its zero-play bearing is configured on four points, the Kuzma has quietly emerged as one of the finest tonearm designs on the market today. (A certain designer of a six-figure turntable we know claims nothing else comes close.) The four-point design certainly thrills the engineers out there—it’s an elegant way of ensuring the cartridge stays in the groove with minimal vibrations, sort of an important feature.

i am curious to know who, the six figure turntable designer, is

Last edited:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I have just read that Brinkmann has just launched Ront III.

their announcement :...We proudly announce RöNt III: the third generation of Tubed Power Supply for use with all Brinkmann turntables. This product debuts our proprietary “Rectifier Tube Simulator” to combine higher performance with lifetime reliability...

0F084AEB-71E1-4724-AC2D-EE0DBBCEDE22.jpeg 9FFE1CA9-1F3A-40C7-A21E-3819B1BCD31D.jpeg

CB8B96BA-C1FE-4C87-9BBA-073E734809AA.jpeg

Brinkmann states that the new rectifier BZ34 can be installed to Ront II power supplies and that ....Aside from the BZ34, RöNt III incorporates additional circuit modifications including a redesigned high-voltage path for increased transparency, more palpable and dimensional sound, as well as more musical detail and “Flow.” RöNt III also benefits from upgraded transformers...

i have just ordered one.

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I have just read that Brinkmann has just launched Ront III.

their announcement :...We proudly announce RöNt III: the third generation of Tubed Power Supply for use with all Brinkmann turntables. This product debuts our proprietary “Rectifier Tube Simulator” to combine higher performance with lifetime reliability...

View attachment 72308 View attachment 72309

View attachment 72310

Brinkmann states that the new rectifier BZ34 can be installed to Ront II power supplies and that ....Aside from the BZ34, RöNt III incorporates additional circuit modifications including a redesigned high-voltage path for increased transparency, more palpable and dimensional sound, as well as more musical detail and “Flow.” RöNt III also benefits from upgraded transformers...

i have just ordered one.
Could they not have launched the this 2 month ago ? ;)

Reactions: Vienna

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
On the Ront III I am going to reserve judgement-- the solid state rectifiers are nothing new and are used as substitutions in the guitar world today. I have never liked the sound of them. Looks like Brinkmann rebranded one of these. 5aR4 tubes are plentiful - I am not sure why they did this. Their talk track on why they use vacuum tube rectifiers will now be nullified. The SS rectifiers use resistors in the bridge circuit to provide the "soft start " to simulate the vacuum tube.

In fact if you largely wanted to see what this new part does before you buy .You could buy an aftermarket one and plug it in. I have some in a bin here.. I may try it.

Once these get out into the field and those that want to move out their RONT II's--- I would be interested to purchase for a project a have in mind.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Vienna

VIP/Donor
On the Ront III I am going to reserve judgement-- the solid state rectifiers are nothing new and are used as substitutions in the guitar world today. I have never liked the sound of them. Looks like Brinkmann rebranded one of these. 5aR4 tubes are plentiful - I am not sure why they did this. Their talk track on why they use vacuum tube rectifiers will now be nullified. The SS rectifiers use resistors in the bridge circuit to provide the "soft start " to simulate the vacuum tube.

In fact if you largely wanted to see what this new part does before you buy .You could buy an aftermarket one and plug it in. I have some in a bin here.. I may try it.

Once these get out into the field and those that want to move out their RONT II's--- I would be interested to purchase for a project a have in mind.

Hi Kcin,

Since 1985, Helmut Brinkmann has not ceased to improve the design of Balance. Having interacted with him, I am convinced about his seriousness on contacting business and his dedication on improving his products.
For this reason I believe that Ront III, must be a better power supply than Ront II, after all I will be among the firsts to compare and find out, dont forget that besides the rectifier, there are circuit modifications which (always as per Brinkmann statements) are improving the sound

I will keep you posted with my expereince with Ront III.

Last edited:

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Hi Kcin,

Since 1985, Helmut Brinkmann has not ceased to improve the design of Balance. Having interacted with him, I am convinced about his seriousness on contacting business and his dedication on improving his products.
For this reason I believe that Ront III, must be a better power supply than Ront II, after all I will be among the firsts to compare and find out, dont forget that besides the rectifier, there are circuit modifications which (always as per Brinkmann statements) are improving the sound

I will keep you posted with my expereince with Ront III.
Thank you Savvas, please let us know your experience. I am always skeptical :) In this case it seems that Brinkmann is making the changes because of lack of production quantity of the vintage Mullard 5ar4- interesting that the Anniversary still comes with the Mullard.

If I was really thinking about it Brinkmann may have had to make circuit modifications to accommodate the new rectifier. We will never really know. Your experience will be valuable. A cool experiment would be to put a vintage Mullard 5Ar4 in place of the pseudo rectifier and listen against the Ront II .

Vienna

VIP/Donor
@Kcin , i am strongly suggesting you to get EPDM calibrated belt for your Balance.
By doing so, I am experiencing much higher speed accuracy and improved lower wow/flutter.
With the original belt the measured wow/flutter was 0.0622% (https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/brinkmann-balance-kuzma-4p.31089/#post-663940), with the EPDM belt, the measured wow/flutter (with Analogue Magik) is 0.0542, much better than many direct drives.

F9466959-D990-40FD-B798-5B9FA9811739.jpeg

P.S. Unthinkable performance of the super silent Brinkmann motor, power supply and bearing, especially when you will consider that Helmut is using an all analogue controller and no speed feed back and of course no hall sensors

Last edited:
Reactions: tima and Lagonda

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Source for the belt?

I have been playing with the AM software for sometime the Brinkmann's have always performed well. If not for Covid I would invite Richard Mak here again to have the master do the AM himself.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Source for the belt?

I have been playing with the AM software for sometime the Brinkmann's have always performed well. If not for Covid I would invite Richard Mak here again to have the master do the AM himself.
I know a guy that has 100 of those belts lying around, and not enough years left to live, to use them all ! ;)

Reactions: Kcin and Vienna

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
@Kcin , i am strongly suggesting you to get EPDM calibrated belt for your Balance.
By doing so, I am experiencing much higher speed accuracy and improved lower wow/flutter.
With the original belt the measured wow/flutter was 0.0622% (https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/brinkmann-balance-kuzma-4p.31089/#post-663940), with the EPDM belt, the measured wow/flutter (with Analogue Magik) is 0.0542, much better than many direct drives.

View attachment 72349

P.S. Unthinkable performance of the super silent Brinkmann motor, power supply and bearing, especially when you will consider that Helmut is using an all analogue controller and no speed feed back and of course no hall sensors
Savvas, at this point you are the local authority on aftermarket/custom made controllers and motors. One thing is measurement, do you hear a significant difference ? And what is it ?

Reactions: Vienna

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing