Brinkmann owners

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anyone with two of Brinkmann 12, 10.5 or 9 inch arm to compare on a Brinkmann Lagrange or balance?

Also, anyone with a Brinkmann arm and another arm to compare on a Brinkmann balance or Lagrange?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I have the 12.1 and Kuzma 4pt and just now the FR64s on the La Grange with Ront

tonearms (Small).jpg IMG_1355.jpg IMG_1542 (002).jpg

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Sorry to pick up this old thread, but I’m thinking of updating my TT also I can have two arms and an close to deciding on a Brinkmann Balance with one 12.1 and an FR64S to use with my Koetsu.

cannot find much feedback on the 12.1 re performance say vs Kuzma 4 point 11 or SMEV etc and suitable cartridge matching?

Any help welcome.
simon

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Sorry to pick up this old thread, but I’m thinking of updating my TT also I can have two arms and an close to deciding on a Brinkmann Balance with one 12.1 and an FR64S to use with my Koetsu.

cannot find much feedback on the 12.1 re performance say vs Kuzma 4 point 11 or SMEV etc and suitable cartridge matching?

Any help welcome.
simon
Hello,

I have had the Brinkmann 12.1 , Kuzma 4pt Kondo wire and the FR64

I feel the Kuzma has more slam than the Brinkmann although maybe in some cases the 12.1 might be a little more showing of delicacy. The winning point on the Kuzma: very robust contstruction, repeatable adjustments are easy- very difficult for VTA on the Brinkmann in comparison.

I tended to spend more time with the Kuzma in my system. YMMV and all that. The FR is relegated to Koetsu only and sounds really nice in that regard. Incredibly articulate in the bass. It seems it is the perfect arm for Koetsu. I now run a Balance and most of the time so far is with the Kuzma. I will trial a couple of SME 3012 series 1 and 3012r soon .. they are here - however, I am working on other projects.

You really can not go wrong. However, IMO the Kuzma is easier to fiddle with on VTA and azimuth for certain and has the advantage of the solid mechanical headshells for cartridge swapping. All wins in my book.

Reactions: Vienna

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
Hello,

I feel the Kuzma has more slam than the Brinkmann although maybe in some cases the 12.1 might be a little more showing of delicacy.
Fremer feels the same: StereoPhile Recommended Components: Fall 2016
More than just a Brinkmann 10.5 tonearm with a longer armtube (its effective length is, you guessed it, 12.1"), the 12.1 incorporates mechanical refinements that, according to Brinkmann, endow it with greater torsional stability and greater immunity to resonances. Crafted from aluminum and stainless steel, it uses precision ball bearings for both vertical and lateral movement, and is available with either flying signal leads or a captured output cable of the usual sort. MF felt the Brinkmann 12.1, when compared with the Kuzma 4Point tonearm, had somewhat less slam but was lighter on its feet—and, with classical and jazz, is perhaps the better choice. And MF loved the 12.1's "lusciously velvet midrange."

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Dear all,
Thanks for your quick feedback, really appreciate it.

Any thoughts on how a Koetsu Urushi or Onyx would sound on the 12.1?

the balance I’m looking at buying comes with a 12.1 inside a very good deal, so I would take one 12.1 and then I thought to add another arm for Koetsu.

I know that a heavy arm FR 64/66 is some how the reference (at least for real world money) and I have found a FR64S, but I can great a great deal on second 12.1, and as this is easiest, I wondered about how Koetsu would sound and the compromise...

I can also source an 4P 11 inch that is another option for the second arm slot......

Advice welcome....

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I use a triplanar se on an acutus reference with koetsu Urushi, great combo and Conrad does a plate for the acutus if you wanted to go down that route?

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Thanks for that, I looked at tri-planer. Looked a little complex to set up for my needs.
looking at Brinkmann 12.1 plus probably an FR64s.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
The Koetsus did better on the 4pt and definitely the fr64s IMO

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Thanks for the feedback.
what have you heard on your 12.1?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Not sure what the price is for your FR64S is but generally they are 'cheap' vs other newer arms and I would not want to not have one. Ymmv

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Thanks for the feedback.
what have you heard on your 12.1?
I have had Lyra Atlas, Etna SL, Koetsu RSP, Koetsu Jade and Goldfinger Statement on the 12.1 also Benz LPS

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Thanks - what’s your preference with the 12.1?

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Thanks - what’s your preference with the 12.1?
Finally took delivery of my Balance with two arms - 12.1 with Esturo Bordeaux and Glanz HM-125S with Koetsu Urushi Vermillion.

so far very pleased. Big improvement Vs my Avid: resolution, bass, lower surface noise, bigger and deeper soundscape.

running in the Glanz arm cable, but good so far. My Vermillion in the Glanz is a revelation vs same in SME V. More and tighter bass, open airy highs, midrange Koetsu famous for and a huge soundscape....

Brinkmann 12.1 with my Esturo Bordeaux has more resolution, tighter bass, quicker leading edge, but slightly leaner presentation - also like sitting further away from the stage... also very nice....

shame the weather is so nice, otherwise Id listen all day

Attachments

• E0A7289D-3E34-44BA-A2C3-5361247B49F9.jpeg
    E0A7289D-3E34-44BA-A2C3-5361247B49F9.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 51

Frenchrooster

Jan 14, 2012
France
Finally took delivery of my Balance with two arms - 12.1 with Esturo Bordeaux and Glanz HM-125S with Koetsu Urushi Vermillion.

so far very pleased. Big improvement Vs my Avid: resolution, bass, lower surface noise, bigger and deeper soundscape.

running in the Glanz arm cable, but good so far. My Vermillion in the Glanz is a revelation vs same in SME V. More and tighter bass, open airy highs, midrange Koetsu famous for and a huge soundscape....

Brinkmann 12.1 with my Esturo Bordeaux has more resolution, tighter bass, quicker leading edge, but slightly leaner presentation - also like sitting further away from the stage... also very nice....

shame the weather is so nice, otherwise Id listen all day
Congrats on your Brinkman Balance and these 2 arms. The Avid Acutus Sp was some years ago on my radar. I am surprised that you find the Balance better. Is it better on all areas or the Avid has some strengths vs the Balance ?
perhaps should I consider more the Balance vs the Avid in the future. My kind of music is essentially jazz rock and soul music from the 70’s.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I have both an Avid Acutus SP and a Brinkmann Balance w/RöNt II. Though the BB presents much bigger, more robust, and a more solid presentation in general, the Acutus has a very lively and lovely play especially on acoustic music, more like a good sprung table like a Sondek LP12 possibly (which I owned for decades). All can be very compelling. But obviously, there is a very big price difference and to some degree, you get what you pay for. The Acutus plays well all around and is hard to beat, even with the BB in place, I love every aspect of the way the AA performs. Tonearms and cartridges aside. That is saying a lot I believe.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice. What carts on each?

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Nice. What carts on each?
Modest stuff bonzo,

On the AA: SME V with Kondo silver internal wire with Lyra Kleos. On the BB: Reed P3-12 with Miyajima Zero and Graham Phantom III with DynaVector Te Kaitora Rua.

simply loving the listening

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing