broken violin string in mid-performance? no big deal! dealing with crisis success!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

Thanks, Mike. Reminds me of 14 year old Midori, who broke an e string twice in the same concert at Tanglewood, with the BSO and Bernstein conducting in 1986. She had to do two violin swaps in the same piece. Added to that, she had to switch from her 3/4 sized violin to a full size violin. She was playing one of Bernstein's pieces, the Symposium. Apparently string breaks do happen and violinists do practice for it. They exchange with the concertmaster, who is sitting closest to them. Two string breaks, however, is much more unusual, especially when the violinist is not playing a full size violin (so the distance between notes is slightly smaller in her violin than in a full size one. You lose all the muscle memory cues from the hundreds of hours of practice and have to adjust the finger spacing (remember violins have no frets) based on hearing each note.

I remember attending a concert of the Vienna Philharmonic in Berkeley back in 2014. They had a few spare violins hanging on the backs of chairs I think for such an event occurring within the orchestra. Hard to do with double basses.

Larry

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing