Browser wars

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looks like Chrome is on a roll and the expense of IE and some Firefox:

Shows what you can do when you provide a streamlined solution that works well.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-5...ing-distance-of-firefox/?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've dabbled with Chrome and Firefox, and they still reside on my PC, but I'm an IE fan...always have been. I've never had the inclination to try Safari or Opera, and likely won't either.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Shows what you can do when you provide a streamlined solution that works well.

Also shows what you can do when you provide a bloated solution prone with security problems, wrapped up in a monopolistic package that would have been broken up into pieces years ago if we had a robust anit-trust environment in America.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Also shows what you can do when you provide a bloated solution prone with security problems, wrapped up in a monopolistic package that would have been broken up into pieces years ago if we had a robust anit-trust environment in America.

Tim
:). Ironically lack of competition is what causes Microsoft to do poorly! When they won the browser wars, they completely gutted the team. There was no one working on it because, well, there was no competition. Now that there is stiff competition, then the team has grown leaps and bounds and is finally fixing major issues in IE. If you wanted resources at Microsoft, you had to create fear of someone else winning and with it, taking on the "platform provider" role. That is all it took to get a ton of resources at the expense of the group..... which had just won against its competition!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Ironically lack of competition is what causes Microsoft to do poorly!

No irony there at all, my friend. This is as it should be, as it almost always is. This is the very heart of the success of capitalism, and the reason why successful capitalism can't exist in a truly free market system. Without laws to avoid non-competitive practices, collusion, and worse, without enforcement to prevent monopolies and other market abuses, competition disappears and takes the incentive to excel with it.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing