Bruce Edgar

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Sad to hear this. A big loss for the world of audio and especially the world of horns...

May he rest in piece

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Rip Bruce.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Rip Bruce.
RIP Bruce
At some point in the past I was contemplating buying his speakers but he was already semi-retired, so I ended up with Avantgardes
Bonzo, I’m curious if you ever heard Edgarhorn system?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I’ve heard two Edgar systems, they were fantastic. The seismic sub is the single best bass I’ve heard EVER.

Rest In Peace Bruce, you added much to our little hobby.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Small world; my father worked with both the interviewer (from PF) and Dr. Edgar, although since my father was tone-deaf and more attracted to rhythm than melody he didn't have much in common with either except in their professional capacities

RIP Dr. Edgar

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
I'm a long time fan of Dr. Edgar. I never got to meet him but I was inspired by his writings on horns and built a midrange horn powered by a 2" dome midrange driver per his guidelines. I actually screwed up the measurements a bit but with a little EQ it was quite a success, and a very fun and inexpensive project! He shared his knowledge freely, and was open to new ideas when he worked with high paying clients. I remember reading that he built a bass horn much heavier and stronger than he thought necessary per his client's instructions. When he listened to it he had to admit there was a noticeable improvement.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

MikeHorns

Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles
Small world; my father worked with both the interviewer (from PF) and Dr. Edgar, although since my father was tone-deaf and more attracted to rhythm than melody he didn't have much in common with either except in their professional capacities

RIP Dr. Edgar
I know both and know where they both worked, as Dave(RIP) was a really good friend of mine.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

gwalt

Jan 4, 2019
RIP Bruce
At some point in the past I was contemplating buying his speakers but he was already semi-retired, so I ended up with Avantgardes
Bonzo, I’m curious if you ever heard Edgarhorn system?
Oh my no. I just found this out from a friend in San Diego that Bruce passed away. I am very sad for sure. I owned his Titan ll system with Seismic Sub for 13 years here in Nebraska after purchase in 2004 and was the sole owner.

Bruce actually flew into Omaha Ne in 2007 and we listened to a friends Avantgarde Trio system with Bass horns then I entertained him to the best steak in Omaha. He spent the night at my home and met with a client from Wisconsin the following day in my home to demo the Titans with sub. We stayed up until 2:00 in the morning and we laughed the whole time telling crazy jokes as he had many from all menus. He had some health issues back then but was handling them well. There was no one like Bruce explaining horn technology.

I picked away at his knowledge about ideas of set up and mods and entertained some of the mods the following year and we listened to a lot of music when he was here. He was great friends with Cyrus Brennamen in LA and I had one of Cy's amps here.
I was sad to see him have to leave back to LA but I will never forget that time with him while here.

Some 8 years later, I sold the horn system in Delaware and delivered it with an SUV and enclosed trailer as I did not trust any carrier at the time. It weighed 1100 lbs. Unfortunately, and regrettably I lost touch with Bruce after that but we remained in touch up to that point.

This system would do some amazing things and I sold them due to space constraints. In addition, they were so efficient with a JBL 2441 compression driver you could hear a 300B tube plate warming up (from 12 foot away) so everything had to be perfectly still and it was difficult if something got out of sort. I will never forgot the system with my Jeff Korneff 45 2w amp that would shake the carpeted over concrete based floor and rafters if you wanted to boogey. Yet they played with utter delicacy if required.

I am heartbroken to hear this and may Bruce RIP. There is no one out there with more knowledge of horn design or with his sense of humor and he will be missed by those who were in reach of him.
Best Wishes to Bruce's family in this time of sorrow.
Gary Walters bruce edgar.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing