Bryce Harper signs with Phillies: $330Million for 13 years.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have not been this sad since Trump was elected President (Actually I was apoplectic).:( DMV(DC Maryland and Virginia) Baseball fans suspected the Nationals were not serious about a long term deal with Harper when they did not get it done during the 2018 season, No doubt the rest of baseball is either scratching their collective heads or laughing out loud. Despite Washington's inability to win the post season Harper would have been content to end his career here. I think Harper deserved to go to the Yankees. It would have been good for Harper, the Yankees and Baseball. But the Yankees did not open their wallets. I don't know why. They have young stars but have never shyed away from an all star lineup.

The arrogance of the Nationals Management regarding the development of young players is not equal to the Oakland Athletics, but it is close. Harper is a once in a generation talent. More importantly if one does come along what is the likelihood the Nationals will be in a position to get him. The Nationals not only allowed him to leave, they committed the cardinal sin of allowing to join a blue chip division rival. The Phillies are a first class organization. They have not been winning because their players got old. Harper has to be classified as a potential MVP every year barring injury. This is a decision that will haunt the Nationals for years to come.
It has always stuck in my craw that Harper was not the highest paid player on the team in particular and baseball in general. It was a mistake for them to acquire what is undeniably one of the best regular season pitchers in baseball and pay him more money than Harper. They did not need him because they already had a an excellent and dominating pitching staff. Offense was in greater need. A dominant hitter would have made it more difficult to pitch around Harper.
C'est la vie. Nationals fans deserve better.

Reactions: Steve Williams

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I wonder what Willie Mays thinks?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There is an upside. Philly is not much further away than the Baltimore Orioles, assming we can get tickets

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I think the mentality of DC is the same, both for the Nationals AND Redskins.... Growing up in VA, those were my teams... well before the Nationals were a team, I rooted for Baltimore

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Two Bryce Harper Stories
Harper comes to the plate against a pitcher who feels Harper dis respected him. Maybe Harper stared at him too long after hitting a home run. He promptly hits Harper in the back. The pitcher should have been ejected. Everyone knew it was intentional, The umpire issued a warning and awarded Harper first base. He stole second base. Ye he was moved to third on a sacrifice fly Then he stole home base. It was all done with class.
Second
The Nationals are down by a run in the top of the ninth. They allow a runner on base. He then steals second.. The next batter hits a single to right field. It drops in front of Harper. He picks it up and guns down the runner at the [late He is scheduled to bat fourth in the bottom of the ninth. A runner makes it to first. With two outs they elect to pitch to Harper. He a two run homer for the walk-off win.

I wish I could say Rizzo is a bad manager. I cant. What I can say is he needs to check his ego. His handling of a certain pitcher is prime example, His decision not to not play that pitcher in then playoffs was an error. Rather than admit he doubled down. His decision was overiled. Not only did the pitcher win he turnS in a stellar performance with no long term detriment to his arm.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Bite me.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
On May 1,2019 The Nationals are in the bottom half of their division. The Phillies are on first place with both Harper and McCutchein on their squad. Perhaps the Nationals will learn their lesson. I see an abundance of empty seats. Not only were sellouts common place, F ans often stayed to the end of the game as comebacks were frequent.
Argh!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Okay. if the Nats win the 2019 World Series, I can forgive them for letting Bryce Harper go. Maybe.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Things look bleak for the Nats. It may work out for them. Pitcher (Verlander) for the Astros has never won a World Series game(loss 5). Strasberg is 4-0 in the playoffs. Cole was brilliant but he beat a second tier pitcher in Ross. If Max can make it back for a possible game seven, he will face a second tier pitcher I hope.
Nats' bats need to come back to life.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I wonder how big of a brick really old players, that were top of the pack, shit out when they see headlines like this...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Congrats to the Nats.! Good bye Bruce Harper. Hello Juan Soto.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Anthony Rendon and Stephen Strasburg are free agents.
Please resign.
Oh yeah give Zimmerman a one year deal.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Strasburg signed. Rendon gone.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing