Building bass traps into the ceiling?

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Fundamentally (and primarily), the 30/40/50/60Hz (and all of the frequencies in between) "issues" are coming from the loudspeakers (source) and the shortest dimensions in the boundaries of listening room (floor to ceiling). Therefore, the most logical (and aesthetically acceptable) locations for the bass absorbers are above the bass ports and bass drivers of the loudspeakers.

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
Reactions: christoph

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
I also use PSI Audio's AVAAs - four (4) of them!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Hi Christoph! Posting the following link (for the second time):

Last edited:

barryr1

Aug 12, 2019
usa
Has anyone got experience of building bass traps into the ceiling? We're about to replace our listening room ceiling (that is also our living room), and wondering if I should consider integrating some sound treatment at the same time. Am specifically looking at treating a 50Hz peak in a room ~11m x 5m.
I have 2 large 4x8’ bass traps built into the ceiling. Acoustic engineered. My recollection is they have 15” of acoustic batt insulation behind the wooden slats

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    671.8 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Tim Link

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Building my room in 2013 I chose to build soffit traps as Bruce Brown did. I framed down 10" x 16" wide around the room. This is open to the dead space above the ceiling. I filled the soffit and 3' wide and the varying height in the ceiling. I made frames and covered it with the same Gulf of Maine fabric as the walls.
12241-listening-room-9-11-002-Medium-.jpg 12444-music-room-1.jpg

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Recently I discovered Silk Metal, a micro-perforated metal grilles which has a very linear absorption curve in the mid-to high frequencies, as well as deep absorption below 400Hz when used with an air gap. Details are posted in my basement listening room thread - click the red link below:

Lab measurements suggest that the Silk Metal tiles in drop-in grilles are more effective as ceiling bass traps than simple soffits filled with building insulation material.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, M3bird!

What has been your specific experience with the AVAAs?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I recognized the importance of bass pressure alleviation, and wanted to utilize my ceiling space to install bass traps into the ceiling of my listening space in my apartment. Down below to the L is the front wall which is treated with P-17 Quadratic diffusors, and down below to the R is where the listening sofa is located. Thankfully, my ceiling is 10ft. high, which allows installation of these large and extremely heavy modules - closest to the L are five diaphragmatic bass absorbers (16" deep x 27" square) tuned to deeply absorb between 30-50Hz; next are 5 pcs. of diaphragmatic bass absorbers (14" deep x 27" square), tuned to broadly (but less deeply) absorb frequencies between 50-200Hz; then a row of five Prime-13 quadratic diffusors which horizontally scatter frequencies between 285 Hz. and 3,450 Hz. These are installed in a lattice of steel frames (visible through the dark voids), criss-crossing and anchored to the structural columns and beams of my apartment building to provide stability and solidity. These were all built to custom specifications and sizes at great cost and required herculean effort to install. Please PM me if you'd like to find out more information. View attachment 50879
Nice ceiling. I was thinking the whole ceiling should have plywood backing with drywall over the top. That way you can support most anything. You seem to have gone with a light weight steel I beam the achieve the same ability to support fairly heavy loads. I like your method better as the devices could be on rollers over the edges of the I beam and easily moved to fine tune the placement. It could even be done with pocket door rail on the ceiling.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Recently I discovered Silk Metal, a micro-perforated metal grilles which has a very linear absorption curve in the mid-to high frequencies, as well as deep absorption below 400Hz when used with an air gap. Details are posted in my basement listening room thread - click the red link below:

Lab measurements suggest that the Silk Metal tiles in drop-in grilles are more effective as ceiling bass traps than simple soffits filled with building insulation material.
I examined a sample of the Silk Metal micro-perforated plates and determined that it was unfortunately totally unsuitable as a broadband absorption insertion into a drop-ceiling grid; hundreds/thousands of mechanical connection points (between the plates and the grids) will be a source of unacceptable mechanical "pinging" noises which can't be suppressed in any reliable way, short of perhaps applying gobs of viscous silicon glue into every single point of contact.

henrich3

Jun 7, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
It's easier to tame room modes below 100 Hz by adding another subwoofer & adjusting their positioning or delays rather than using acoustic panels. I had a 7 dB mode at 45 Hz and a null around 70 Hz. Increasing the delay in one of my two subs solved both of those problems.

There's some useful info on room modes here -
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=48286

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Thank you, henrich3, for the link - I agree with your advice. For my future dedicated listening room, I just want to ensure that the room acoustics can support the addition of two subwoofers without any anomalies which I'll later regret. Instead of line-level inputs, I'm likely going with subwoofers with high-voltage "speaker level" inputs, tapping the voltage/current from the amplifier from the bi-wired speaker bass binding posts, and routing it to the subwoofer. Von Schweikert Audio uses this strategy with their own external subwoofers for their Ultra line of loudspeakers, with excellent results.

Last edited:
Reactions: henrich3

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing