Building House- Ideal Electrical Setup?

HappyHouston

Feb 22, 2020
Wonderful forum from which I've learned so much about experiencing beautiful sound.

We are fortunate enough to be building a new home this year. Part of our design is a 26'x21' 2+ story room that will be a combo library/sound room with wall treatments etc. We'll be purchasing a loudspeaker/amp/preamp/dac etc system after the home is complete.

Forgive my ignorance, but I wanted to ask based on your experience what an ideal set up would be for the built-in electrical that will be dedicated to the sound system, if you were starting from scratch. Should it help, I'm leaning toward MBL 101 e Mk. II's in a MBL reference system, but we haven't listed to enough systems to be sure. There will be no video component to the set up. We'd like the electrical set up to keep our options open for buying equipment second hand from the US or Europe, and for changing our system components over the decades.

How many plugs would you recommend- perhaps 10 each of 110 and 10 each of 220v? What amperage? Should we have a dedicated panel and dual grounding just for the audio components? (Much of the home will use LED lighting some on dimmers- we want to minimize contamination and interference from that to the audio). I have a friend who has had multiple high end systems who recommended hospital grade electrical- which I believe means dual grounding and specialized plugs (perhaps other aspects?). All the wiring will be copper per code. What other non-standard specs would you recommend we give our electrician?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
See my thread on this subject at https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/my-clean-power-adventures.28053/

In general, I've found over the decades that while special AC power for audio can help sonically, for best results you will still need power factor correction and excellent power filtration on the AC lines feeding your audio equipment. From my experience, I suggest that the UberBUSS and BUSS Depot units made by P. I. Audio Group be on your short list for power treatment.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Make your own power off grid Solar battery system

Reactions: rugyboogie

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Welcome to the group Happy Houston..

As a start point, I would wholeheartedly recommend at least 12 Furutech outlets fed from a wall mounted Equitech balanced power system. You'll probably require a decent size transformer if running an all MBL system. Feed this from your incoming supply if possible, not a spur from your main cu.. Regs dependant of course.

https://www.equitech.com/productsold/wall-cabinet-systems/

You are in a wonderful position for a fantastic music room there..
BR,
Paul

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing