Burmester 909 mk5 vs Burmester 911 mk3

dhruvgarg

Jun 10, 2019
Greetings all! I wanted to learn about your experiences when comparing a 911 mk3 amp to Burmester 909 MK5.
I'm considering upgrading from a single 911 to single 909. Can i expect the low frequencies to be a bit denser? More fullness to mids and lows ?

I generally have always liked Burmester gear across all ranges (entry, top line and reference). My current setup is 035 preamp, 911 poweramp and B80 mk2 speakers. I'm trying to decide between 911 monos or a single 909 stereo.

My personal taste is to strive for a richer sound (not overly fat in the lows) that is a relaxed presentation. With a single 911 i sometimes yearn for more fullness in mid/upper bass and a little more heft/body to the overall sound. The airiness of 911 is very elegant and refined - but my only reason to upgrade would be to have some extra decay on low notes and "feel" the music a bit more. Will a single 909 stereo outperform 911 monos in this aspect ?

Would appreciate any thoughts/advice if you've had a change to compare a single 911 to 909 or mono 911s to a 909.

Best Regards,
Dhruv

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
With your B80 Mk2 i would prefer the 911 mk3 monos.

Reactions: dhruvgarg and sujay

dhruvgarg

Jun 10, 2019
With your B80 Mk2 i would prefer the 911 mk3 monos.
Thanks for the kind response Rocco!

I actually ordered the 909 last week. I did email Burmester this same question and I got to speak with a technician on their team. In their words - the 909 is an amp with warmth of 956mk2 but detail and grip of 911 mk3. It definitely is a weightier sound compared to a 911 plus does everything on a grander stage. Voices and guitar strings are expected to sound more dense over 911.

Now I didn't understand "does everything on a grander stage" but I've had 956 for 2 years in my system and have played it with B80s as well. I really like that amp, it does have a richer/rounded bass compared to 911 but lacked a bit of slam and sweetness to the high/mid frequencies that 911 has. The Burmester person assured me that 909 is extra sweet in the mids over 911 and has the rich bass slam of the 956 so I simply went ahead with the order.

Rest I'll see, I'm hopeful that a stereo 909 will still be a nice upgrade over a stereo 911. thanks

Reactions: Rocco I. and sujay

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Thanks for the kind response Rocco!

I actually ordered the 909 last week. I did email Burmester this same question and I got to speak with a technician on their team. In their words - the 909 is an amp with warmth of 956mk2 but detail and grip of 911 mk3. It definitely is a weightier sound compared to a 911 plus does everything on a grander stage. Voices and guitar strings are expected to sound more dense over 911.

Now I didn't understand "does everything on a grander stage" but I've had 956 for 2 years in my system and have played it with B80s as well. I really like that amp, it does have a richer/rounded bass compared to 911 but lacked a bit of slam and sweetness to the high/mid frequencies that 911 has. The Burmester person assured me that 909 is extra sweet in the mids over 911 and has the rich bass slam of the 956 so I simply went ahead with the order.

Rest I'll see, I'm hopeful that a stereo 909 will still be a nice upgrade over a stereo 911. thanks
Enjoy the great 909 Mk5.

Reactions: dhruvgarg

dhruvgarg

Jun 10, 2019
The mystery was solved last night! I got 909 installed. I'm happy with the upgrade.

Rocco - just to let you know, based on my initial impression I do agree with you that 911 mk3 monos probably are a more musical pairing with B80s. 909 is a different timbre - more deep bass when compared to the 911 , but 911 has a better/stronger midbass kick with a slightly euphonic sound over the 909. I kind of like 911 better with B80 given how transparent B80s can be.

Now i'll pair 909 with the new B38s to see how it goes :) B38 probably is my kind of speaker with a better midbass kick over. B80, so will see how it goes.

Reactions: Rocco I.

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Sent back the 909 and replaced it with 911 Monos, I can't describe this in words, simply blown away!! 911 monos easily beat a single 909. I finally heard the B80s in full glory with 911s!!
Excellent ;)

dhruvgarg

Jun 10, 2019
Excellent ;)
Hi Rocco,

Some questions for you since you are one of the best folks familiar with Burmester reference gear.

I ordered the Burmester 948 power conditioner. Can I expect some kind of improvement in my 035 pre + 911 monos + B80?

What interconnect and speaker cables maximise performance of this setup ? I was thinking of getting Nordost Valhalla 2 cables. I've seen your input on other blogs where you speak highly of Nordost. I wasn't clear what model. Is Valhalla 2 a good match for Burmester system ?

Regards,
Dhruv

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Hi Rocco,

Some questions for you since you are one of the best folks familiar with Burmester reference gear.

I ordered the Burmester 948 power conditioner. Can I expect some kind of improvement in my 035 pre + 911 monos + B80?

What interconnect and speaker cables maximise performance of this setup ? I was thinking of getting Nordost Valhalla 2 cables. I've seen your input on other blogs where you speak highly of Nordost. I wasn't clear what model. Is Valhalla 2 a good match for Burmester system ?

Regards,
Dhruv
Hello Dhruv.
Thanks to quote me.
The 948's is a superb unit and It will allow your system to perform better in all regards.
About cables, power cords, interconnect and speakers, I use Nordost Valhalla (1 or 2) and It is the absolute best match experienced with Burmester gears.

p.s.: You will have a huge improvement with preamp, 808 Mk5 with reference line power supply unit. At my ears, It is the absolute best of the best preamp and lifetime unit. I would consider it as first step and then the cables (Nordost Valhalla).

Last edited:

dhruvgarg

Jun 10, 2019
Hi Rocco,

thanks for your advice as ever! I'll look at Nordost valhalla series then. I'll get my 948 in a week or two. Will first evaluate the sound improvement there and then try cables on top.

After reading about your preference for 911 monos, and my experience with 909 vs 911s - I'm more in alignment with your listening taste. Will definitely go for 808 mk5 over the 077 - perhaps in a year from now. I will not even try to evaluate the difference between the 2, just get 808 at some point.

In my testing with some high end cables I did notice reduction of noise floor and better texture in the bass over the current cables I have, so even without 808 i can expect some improvement. Maybe the 948 will show a similar drop in noise and some added texture to the sound. I'll go one step at a time.

ps: burmester is coming with a B150 speaker this year by October which is supposed to be an upgrade over B80. I have no idea if it will be priced over B100, pretty sure 808 will bring a bigger improvement vs a new speaker.

Regards,
Dhruv

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Hi Rocco,

thanks for your advice as ever! I'll look at Nordost valhalla series then. I'll get my 948 in a week or two. Will first evaluate the sound improvement there and then try cables on top.

After reading about your preference for 911 monos, and my experience with 909 vs 911s - I'm more in alignment with your listening taste. Will definitely go for 808 mk5 over the 077 - perhaps in a year from now. I will not even try to evaluate the difference between the 2, just get 808 at some point.

In my testing with some high end cables I did notice reduction of noise floor and better texture in the bass over the current cables I have, so even without 808 i can expect some improvement. Maybe the 948 will show a similar drop in noise and some added texture to the sound. I'll go one step at a time.

ps: burmester is coming with a B150 speaker this year by October which is supposed to be an upgrade over B80. I have no idea if it will be priced over B100, pretty sure 808 will bring a bigger improvement vs a new speaker.

Regards,
Dhruv
Hi Dhruv,
the effect of 948's is outstanding and It will surely drop in noise too.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Rocco,

Regards,
Dhruv
Congrats...let us know what you think of the 948. I use the 948 on all source equipment, preamp...and then into the Torus and into the wall...everything goes into the Torus into the wall (which is one of those blue high amperage plug outlets.) I really like the 948.

dhruvgarg

Jun 10, 2019
Congrats...let us know what you think of the 948. I use the 948 on all source equipment, preamp...and then into the Torus and into the wall...everything goes into the Torus into the wall (which is one of those blue high amperage plug outlets.) I really like the 948.
Thanks LL21 and great to hear that you have a favorable opinion of it. Sure, will keep you posted in a few weeks. Regards!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great! Look forward to reading all about it.

gwoolfolk

May 19, 2015
Need some experienced guidance on upgrade fr, om Burmester 956 mk2. I have a 20 year old 956 mk2 and was considering the following options.

1. Buying a second 956 and running mono. Conc6erned about pairing a new one with a 20 year old one and the pair not matching sonically. Discussed with importer and they couldn't say if it would be a problem. I would just have to try or just sell mine and buy two new ones to be sure. If I have to buy two and sell my old one, I could look upgrading to the 911.

2. Upgrading to a 911. I love my 956 Mk 2's but wish it had a bit more air or ease on the top. I am guessing at this as I have never auditioned a 911. I also wouldn't mind a little more control on the bottom midrange and bass. Pairing with Revel Saloon 2's and believe a little more control would be beneficial.

I really like the 956 but don't know what I don't know in terms of better sound available from the 911. I have heard its better to have dual mono's than a stereo amp. I don't think I have to have the extra power of the mono's and concerned that although two 956's would be an improvement, the 911 would be a better option given it has a bit more power and possible a higher sound quality. Last bit of context to provide, is that I like the sound of my 956 now when I have the volume up high. At lower volume there isn't the body (weight) or the micro dynamics. At least to my hearing, as I have a frequency dip in my hearing.

Greatly welcome all feedback on topic.

dhruvgarg

Jun 10, 2019
Need some experienced guidance on upgrade fr, om Burmester 956 mk2. I have a 20 year old 956 mk2 and was considering the following options.

1. Buying a second 956 and running mono. Conc6erned about pairing a new one with a 20 year old one and the pair not matching sonically. Discussed with importer and they couldn't say if it would be a problem. I would just have to try or just sell mine and buy two new ones to be sure. If I have to buy two and sell my old one, I could look upgrading to the 911.

2. Upgrading to a 911. I love my 956 Mk 2's but wish it had a bit more air or ease on the top. I am guessing at this as I have never auditioned a 911. I also wouldn't mind a little more control on the bottom midrange and bass. Pairing with Revel Saloon 2's and believe a little more control would be beneficial.

I really like the 956 but don't know what I don't know in terms of better sound available from the 911. I have heard its better to have dual mono's than a stereo amp. I don't think I have to have the extra power of the mono's and concerned that although two 956's would be an improvement, the 911 would be a better option given it has a bit more power and possible a higher sound quality. Last bit of context to provide, is that I like the sound of my 956 now when I have the volume up high. At lower volume there isn't the body (weight) or the micro dynamics. At least to my hearing, as I have a frequency dip in my hearing.

Hi gwoolfolk, I’ve upgraded from 956 mk2 to 911 mk3 in the past and from my experience 911 is a substantial upgrade over 956. Its lot more transparent plus has a very sweeter/ addictive tone compared to the 956. I’ve demoed 956 monos , they will have more slam in the lows and a fatter voicing in the upper bass but they still are in a league below 911. The refinement , beautiful tone and timbre of 911 from my subjective experience is the best of what Burmester offers. And more sound parameters ( like if you want more treble or more bass etc) can be easily tweaked though cables .

956s are richer and colored but 911s are more neutral and refined. The substantial gain from 911 over 956 is absolute neutrality , articulation on both highs and lows and above all a higher sense of reality that can’t be explained in words. I have tinnitus and despite the high transparency of 911 I get zero listening fatigue - the refinement is extraordinary!

Another thing I’ll mention - to get the best out of 911 , you’ll most likely have to pair it with a burmester preamp - even if it’s their entry level 035. I personally love the combo of 035 and 911. With non - Burmester preamps I’ve seen very mixed results (low bass , shrill highs ) and I haven’t found it musically satisfying. 911 is super precise in its voicing so component matching (especially the preamp) is very important .

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy

911 Mk3 is very much better than 956 Mk2 monos or stereo version. To achieve the best sound from any Burmester Power Amp, I recommend to use a Burmester preamp. With 911 Mk3 the best preamp is 808 Mk5. Other excellent preamps are the 077's and 088's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing