Buying Advice Melco Vs Antipodes

vgmbpty

Aug 16, 2021
São Paulo, Brasil
Seeking opinions and suggestions. I have the chance of buying an Antipodes Oladra or a Melco S10. Very hard work to get the money, would hate to make a mistake. I would really appreciate your advice.

For reference, I listen 100% digital Redbook and Qobuz, have a good network with fiber, audio switches in cascade, external power supplies and clocks. Except the server and the DDC, I buy everything used. Use the best interconnects i could afford. Dedicated electrical with Nordost conditioning. My current source is a Zenith MK3 + Audio GD DI20HE (DDC) going to Verity Monsalvat Pre/DAC, MBL N15 monoblock amps and MBL 116 speakers. I have a love/hate relation with Roon since I noticed it degraded sound quality. Now using Sense app. Open to use any reasonable software that gives me the best possible audio quality. If you read until here, thank you already!

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
Seeking opinions and suggestions. I have the chance of buying an Antipodes Oladra or a Melco S10. Very hard work to get the money, would hate to make a mistake. I would really appreciate your advice.

For reference, I listen 100% digital Redbook and Qobuz, have a good network with fiber, audio switches in cascade, external power supplies and clocks. Except the server and the DDC, I buy everything used. Use the best interconnects i could afford. Dedicated electrical with Nordost conditioning. My current source is a Zenith MK3 + Audio GD DI20HE (DDC) going to Verity Monsalvat Pre/DAC, MBL N15 monoblock amps and MBL 116 speakers. I have a love/hate relation with Roon since I noticed it degraded sound quality. Now using Sense app. Open to use any reasonable software that gives me the best possible audio quality. If you read until here, thank you already!
I have a Pink Faun modified Melco S100 powered by Farad power supplies. The Melco S10 is probably the same as the S100 but with a beefier power supply to match. Power Supplies make a difference. I have a Melco server in conjunction with the S100. You can see why, my vote would be for the Melco.

Reactions: vgmbpty

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
I have listened both Melco S10 and S100 in my system. Local dealer here offers S10 head unit only without power supply.

With the same LPS, S10 delivers significant improvement over S100. Blacker background, more dynamic and more dense. In comparison S100 sounds ‘more digital’.

Attachments

• E7C80FF1-36A6-4610-8430-DF654A38736A.jpeg
    E7C80FF1-36A6-4610-8430-DF654A38736A.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 22

td19

Sep 29, 2017
The Oladra will give you the choice of Roon, Squeezebox Server, HQ Player, MPD, and even Spotify Connect - and combinations of these i.e. Roon + HQP, Squeeze + HQP, HQP standalone + Qobuz, as well of course as your own redbook library on SSD. Suggest you find an demo Oladra to check out.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
I had a lot of problems with the Antipodes K50 I purchased. SSD drive(s) not recognized. Repeatedly. Even after two remote IT sessions with the manufacturer.

Then, problems recognizing a connected USB drive. At one point I was asked why I wanted to use a USB drive? Well, because it's a feature of the $14,000 machine, maybe?

Spent too much time troubleshooting the K50. Returned it.

Replaced it with a Rockna Wavedream NET. Have had zero problems with the Rockna.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing