Buying the Discontinued ARC VSi 75 Integrated Bad Idea?

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
Hi All,

I currently am running an ARC I50 integrated and am looking for a bit more power and am considering the ARC VSi 75 integrated which has been discontinued. I would be able to get a great deal on a new unit given its status.

I have a few concerns:

It is basically a 10 year old design and my I50 is a new design. Would I be giving up new tech for old?

now that it has been discontinued would the resale value tank?

Would it be a significant upgrade in sound quality? I have no complaints about the sound of the I50.

Thoughts?

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I’m not sure you would even notice the extra power, a couple of db at best and having used ARC for a long time, they tend to improve as each range is marketed (generally, not always) so this may be a backward step for you, even if you are being offered what seems to be great value.
Best of luck with your final choice

Reactions: paolo and WLP3

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
I was very interested in purchasing the i50 amplifier until I found out, balanced inputs beyond 2v are not compatible with the i50. Most every DAC that has a fully balanced design, sounds best from its balanced output and nearly all have normal out voltages over 3volts. The i50 is not even compatible with Audio Research’s own DAC9 if balanced connections are employed. It was likely a design oversight to incorporate balanced inputs on the i50.

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
I used the amp with an RME ADI-2 DAC with no issues whatsoever...
I did look up the RME ADI-2 specs. I found decibel levels, but not voltage output information. I noticed a 6db increase from its balanced outputs, over the single ended but no clear voltage number.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing