Bye bye PayPal, Hello Transferwise.com

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I think it’s fair to say that we all know and mostly love Paypal. It’s been around for ages and has long been the go-to choice for electronic payments. Seductively easy to use and secure however it has become expensive..... make that expensive with a capital ‘F’ when it comes to doing international business like Sablon...

Whilst their domestic charge is a fairly reasonable 3%, a 2% loading gets added for international cross-border payments and there is then a further 3.75% charge for currency conversion. The total cost becomes a gouging 9%, so I’m going to say ‘enough!’. From now on, PayPal will only be accepted on orders at full list price, essentially for new customers, unless existing customers who receive a 10% discount on their subsequent orders wish to cover their charges. I'm sure you will agree that it is better to take out costs than raise list prices.

Another, lower cost, payments service provider is needed and this is where Transferwise steps in. Transferwise offers an international platform which is almost as easy to use as PayPal, yet barely costs 1% all in. That’s way cheaper than what retail banks charge for currency conversion and a number of you may actually find their services useful for other private and business purposes. You can read about it in the links below however imo it is a very exciting company in which I would be happy to invest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransferWise

https://transferwise.com

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Congrats! TransferWise is great, and just yesterday I was telling a friend about it!
PayPal is worthless now, at least for merchants.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I think it’s fair to say that we all know and mostly love Paypal. It’s been around for ages and has long been the go-to choice for electronic payments. Seductively easy to use and secure however it has become expensive..... make that expensive with a capital ‘F’ when it comes to doing international businesses like Sablon...

Whilst their domestic charge is a fairly reasonable 3%, a 2% loading gets added for international cross-border payments and there is then a further 3.75% charge for currency conversion. The total cost becomes a gouging 9%, so I’m going to say ‘enough!’. From now on, PayPal will only be accepted on orders at full list price, essentially for new customers, unless existing customers who receive a 10% discount on their subsequent orders wish to cover their charges. I'm sure you will agree that it is better to take out costs than raise list prices.

Another, lower cost, payments service provider is needed and this is where Transferwise steps in. Transferwise offers an international platform which is almost as easy to use as PayPal, yet barely costs 1% all in. That’s way cheaper than what retail banks charge for currency conversion and a number of you may actually find their services useful for other private and business purposes. You can read about it in the links below however imo it is a very exciting company in which I would be happy to invest.

Can't agree more - but I have a feeling people are still a bit reluctant to move to TW...

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Hmm, that’s not been my experience so far Golum but tbh that observation is in the context of existing customers where we know each other. New business can still use paypal if they wish as it has been priced in along with international courier delivery.

Last edited:

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
This looks like a very cost effective alternative to PayPal. Thanks for the tip @Sablon Audio!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm interested to some degree. It largely depends on how PP handles something I got going on right now. I'm not saying it happens often, but for the second time in my life I have everything on lock down.

Derainer

Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
Current example:
I was supposed to get € 4,200 from a customer in the USA. Paypal collected 188,00 € as fee.
So my decision is: never again Paypal.
Transferwise is a fair portal.

thanks Rainer

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Current example:
I was supposed to get € 4,200 from a customer in the USA. Paypal collected 188,00 € as fee.
So my decision is: never again Paypal.
Transwise is a fair portal.

thanks Rainer

They would also have collected @€150 from the customer when translating their USD into EUR. Is hard to justify this level of commission.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
PP sure does make clearing houses look good. The thing that sucks is wait times.

Any experience using Transferwise for little stuff? I organize some DIY projects as well and so it's many people all at once, so there's lots of shipping that I have to pay out. PP's debit card was really useful for that.

Derainer

Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
What we did?
Client sent me an order check with Fedex. I cashed it at my bank and the fees are only 20,-- €

Take care Rainer

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
Mark

I'm happy to do a "Faster Payment" direct to your bank account, on our next transaction - Cost ....... Nil!

Steve

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
I think it’s fair to say that we all know and mostly love Paypal. It’s been around for ages and has long been the go-to choice for electronic payments. Seductively easy to use and secure however it has become expensive..... make that expensive with a capital ‘F’ when it comes to doing international business like Sablon...

I have used TransferWise since 2016 and it is an excellent service with a very close to spot rate exchange, for numerous transfers you can save substantially compared to the legal robbers we call Banks and never mind talking about PayPal plus it’s a speedy service

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I have used TransferWise since 2016 and it is an excellent service with a very close to spot rate exchange, for numerous transfers you can save substantially compared to the legal robbers we call Banks and never mind talking about PayPal plus it’s a speedy service

Does that mean you've done any smaller transactions?

Also can you keep track of transfers on it, like you sign in or?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have been using Revolut for the past year for small payments instead of PayPal. I don't think there is a fee (or a cap on transferred amount).

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
Does that mean you've done any smaller transactions?

Also can you keep track of transfers on it, like you sign in or?

Hi
Yes you can transfer any amount, and there is a record of every transaction made, either sending or receiving with the spot rate at the time and charges are very low compared to banks

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing