Cable Burn-in Devices - Looking for Recommendations

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I have heard the effect. I borrowed an Audio Dharma. The before and after on a DIY interconnect was obvious. The only problem was the after was worse sounding than the before! I'm simply saying that this Frybaby3 toy does next to nothing.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
I haven't tried a cable cooker. When I get a new cable I use an Isotek System Burn in Disk once a day for a week and then once a week for a few weeks thereafter. Otherwise, I just let the cable burn in as I play music

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Frybaby, Frycorder, and Audioharma Cable Cooker (I have the "Anniversary" version) have all worked for me to some extent on cables but the Audioharma results in a bigger audible improvement compared with the Hagerman products and any system burn-in disc I've tried. I have for example taken a power cable that has been in constant use for 2+ years including several sessions on the Frycorder and half a dozen passes with a system burn-in disc, put it on the Cable Cooker for four (4) days and realized a clear audible (15%-20% est.) improvement in clarity and articulation when I returned it to the system.

FYI:

"I had long been of the opinion that playtime with music is the best burn-in process for any cable. I'm quite sure now that ain't true. It's a good second, certainly better than what you'll hear from a cable fresh out of the box, but my ears tell me it doesn't finish the job. For proof of that assertion, take a cable that you've been using for months, give it some time on the Audiodharma Cable Cooker, then listen and hear for your self.

Given adequate time on the Cooker, a cable comes out of the process with a flatter, more linear frequency response, and a more acoustic sound. In the samples I put through the process, that meant more midband, to a lesser degree more bass, and a wayward treble brought into the fold. This was the overt impact. A host of secondary areas benefited, i.e., smoother dynamic transitions, improved definition, and tone color. The Audiodharma Cable Cooker is demonstrably excellent at what it does and the results are very natural sounding".

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I think there's a problem with the presumption that "burn in" on a high current device gets you to the same endpoint at which you'd arrive over a much longer period of time by simply "listening to music". I don't have any reason to believe that 1000s of hours of ordinary phono or line level current vs 10s of hours of unusually high current di/dt transients produces the same result. And I certainly don't presume that the result of high power burn in produces an audibly improved difference. An audible difference, yes. But an improvement, maybe. A degradation of sound quality, maybe as well.

Reactions: emoonie

FLEMKE

May 20, 2013
Speaker cables will burn in with the current from the amp. The I/C cables will not. A much higher current is needed to do the job. I used to run my I/C cables through a old receiver speaker terminals with a sandbar resistor. It usually takes about a week to complete the process.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I can endorse that the AudioDharma Cable cooker works really well for burning in new cables. And its great to run your cables through every 6 months or so to keep them at their peak. I have not tried many other burn in products so can't compare to other stuff.

Reactions: Cellcbern

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
Great thread - answers the questions of the benefits and performance differences at different price points. Guess I’m getting the Audio Dharma.

I was surprised that cable cooking is recommended beyond the initial cable break in, that the manufacturer recommends periodic reconditioning of cables for tuneups.

I’m amused to think of Mike L fire hose cables being regularly moved to cook - that’ll be a workout

poonbean

Jul 30, 2020
Perhaps a dumb idea, but why not put inline with the refrigerator. Pretty good current demand, current changes periodically. And, I don't have to run all the equipment 24/7.

Thoughts?

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Perhaps a dumb idea, but why not put inline with the refrigerator. Pretty good current demand, current changes periodically. And, I don't have to run all the equipment 24/7.

Thoughts?
I used to do this to burn in power cables, kept them plugged in for a week or two. It works well, each time the refrigerator kicks in there is a large current inrush that is excellent for conditioning cables, and it draws ssignificant current as well. Something like a Cable Cooker works differently, and the results sound different.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I'm looking for recommendations on devices to speed up the burn-in on cables (Power, Interconnect, Speaker). Even better if it's something that can work on components and speakers; so far the only thing I've ever encountered in that area are the break-in playback files.

The Hagerman FryBaby looks to be one option that is reasonably priced. Wondering if there's anything else out there I should take a look at?
Yep, patience / your brain :)

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I used to do this to burn in power cables, kept them plugged in for a week or two. It works well, each time the refrigerator kicks in there is a large current inrush that is excellent for conditioning cables, and it draws ssignificant current as well. Something like a Cable Cooker works differently, and the results sound different.
Great ‘ol school/home hack for mains cables. I too have had good success with this method. Now have a AudioDharma machine so I just default to it… :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Thoughts?

I'll post this here too, an adapter so you can use a cable with an IEC end as an extension cord:

• Love
Reactions: Scott Naylor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing