Cable Teaser - The King of Tinned Copper

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
6awg from me vs common 12awg.

6awgawg.JPG

This is part of the cable set I'm going to make available. It requires a special treatment to make it viable for assembly. I've come to appreciate the wisdom of using tinned copper for its virtues on sound. It's not "exotic" per-se but it most certainly is in another sense when it's made like this, to this quality. Not all cables are the same just because they read to be similar by name or spec. Even the measurements don't always give us true clues. For example I can measure some DDK recommended interconnects that have darn near the same measurement as another cable (we're talking 98%) and they don't sound the same to me as the other one or even close (I cant even hand trim them to be closer in measurement but still not the same).

For me I prefer the sound here, for a natural sound that isn't inhibited or drawing attention to itself. What I've been making has been preferable to the legendary RS interconnects, as I think they are more open, sort of like missing a glaze - "add nothing, take nothing" is certainly the approach.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Tang,

It's certainly at least the size of a curtain rope. But no, it's not rope, it's copper.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang,

It's certainly at least the size of a curtain rope. But no, it's not rope, it's copper.
Is your interconnect the same as your speaker cable. How different if any.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Is your interconnect the same as your speaker cable. How different if any.

Yes, they're 6awg also. I'm looking into complimentary 20lb stainless steel weights with adjustable legs to reach between tubes so that your amplifiers don't tip over. :p

They're actually 28awg, but comprised of the same materials. However they don't run parallel per channel like the speaker cables; they're in the same sheath so each channel is single cable.

I may look into a high capacitance version to be more like some vintage favored cables. They have a beautiful articulation but they take dynamics to a perceivable but not true to album place - they can be useful for forward sounding stereos that are too much as they also hope homogenize the sound a little. They sort of make a stereo sound a bit more like the Denon all-in-one that sounds better than many high end amps (I had to try one since David talks about them).

Last edited:

Diri

Feb 20, 2021
Folsom,

Hi, I’m a new member. You’re making these available. How could I order?
thx

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Folsom, did you just start a new profile ? ;)

Reactions: jeff1225

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Hi Folsom - would you please PM me your cable details as well - thanks...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing