Cable Type

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Hi Guys.
Does it make sense between Preamp and Poweramp to use other cables than between source device (CDP) and preamp?
Thank you
Adam

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I think it is system dependent. I know that Fred Crowder from Dagogo previously used Jorma Prime (copper) ic's on most of his front end components, but preferred a Nordost Odin (silver) ic on his phono, with a mix of different power cables. But in another system based on EAR electronics and Marten Momento speakers, Jorma Prime cabling and Jorma power cords worked best throughout. Not surprising as Marten speakers are internally wired with Jorma wire.

There really is no better lipmus test than doing a-b comparo's of cables in your own system. But to play around with different cables, you need to have ready access to a range of cables which reviewers and Audio store salesman can do. But it's not so easy for the rest of us. The Cable Company have a lending library which allows you to borrow several cables for 2 weeks with a 5% non-refundable deposit for evaluation which can reduce the risk of taking a 'stab in the dark'. Though ultimately there is no substitute for a good local Dealer who can bring around some different cable options to see what works best.

Personally I'm an advocate of using the same brand of cables throughout for synergy. I just think it helps the overall coherence and tonality by using a single brand. And it looks more uniform also, rather than an alphabet soup of different cables behind your racks. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Hi Guys.
Thank you for these first quick answers.
Currently I use XLR and speaker cable of the same brand and series.
The speaker cables only have a larger Diameter.
Power cables for Poweramp and CDP are silver conductors.
The preamp(Classe CP-700) has an external power supply which is connected with a supplied cable.
I would also like to replace this connection with silver conductors. But I have not been able to find a suitable cable until today.
Basically, I'm satisfied with my set
but would have nothing against 1% -5% "improvement" by cable. Unless 1% does not mean 5K Euro per %.
It is good to know that, obviously, I did not make any fundamental mistakes.
Adam

Reactions: Bodhi

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Adam, as I mentioned the level of improvement/change you'd likely get from a change in cables is system dependant. Perhaps you could list your current system (incl: speakers and cables) & musical preferences which would assist members in suggesting cables which have known synergy with your gear & musical tastes? That said, a possible recommendation might be to keep your current cables & instead focus on other area(s) of your system(?).

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
I really want to limit the whole question to the input question.
My idea was that the signal should come as optimally as possible from the preamp to the power amp.

Preamp: Classe Audio CP-700
CDP: Classe Audio CDP-202
AMP: Krell KSA-200 S
Speaker: Duntech Princess C-5000
Power Cleaner: MFE -NF 2
Power Cords: Nordost Walhalla

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I really want to limit the whole question to the input question.
My idea was that the signal should come as optimally as possible from the preamp to the power amp.

Preamp: Classe Audio CP-700
CDP: Classe Audio CDP-202
AMP: Krell KSA-200 S
Speaker: Duntech Princess C-5000
Power Cleaner: MFE -NF 2
Power Cords: Nordost Walhalla
The ic's from source to pre, and pre to power amp are both critical. If I had one better cable, I'd probably use it from the source to pre, similar to using your best power cable from wall to power conditioner. Looking at your list of gear, If I were buying any new cables, I'd lean towards a warmer sounding cable which is on the musical side such as Kubala Sosna Emotion or Jorma Unity (new) or Prime (2nd hand). Though of course this is all subjective.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I use the preamp to amplifier IC that gives me the largest soundstage (beyond the speakers) after that it's experimentation. I do use the same PC brand and grade on amplifiers, matching speaker cables.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing