Cabling for SME 3012 R

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What interconnects are people using with their SME 3012R tonearms? My current Basis Vector 4 has a tonearm cable which runs from the headshell to the phono pre so I have not had to think about this before.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I use the cable that comes with it. I believe it is made by Van den Hul and according to ddk has the most natural sound. Iirc it comes in copper or silver. The Cooper is what David recommends

The arm I purchased did not come with a cable so I need to find something to use. Normally I wouldn't replace it.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The arm I purchased did not come with a cable so I need to find something to use. Normally I wouldn't replace it.
If it were me I would PM David and get his recommendation. Ever since I bought the 3012R I have used my other arm and cartridge perhaps only 5% of the time. IIRC David prefers the stock copper (van den Hul I think) not silver cable that typically was supplied with the arm

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
If it were me I would PM David and get his recommendation. Ever since I bought the 3012R I have used my other arm and cartridge perhaps only 5% of the time. IIRC David prefers the stock copper (van den Hul I think) not silver cable that typically was supplied with the arm

I think dminches is talking about what kind of phono cable to use not the internal tonearm wire.

Tang

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I think dminches is talking about what kind of phono cable to use not the internal tonearm wire.

Tang

I should have been more clear. I am talking about the cable from the SME 3012-R to my phono pre.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I also have to buy a phono cable for the 3012R. Gian and I used to have MIT Max phono. Now we are making a trial on a very promising wild card Italian made cable called Kuro. It is made of solid core 7N copper with mumetal shield. Gian said it is a rare find. And not crazy expensive. He is sending one for me to try. Initially, I was thinking of Crystal Cable until Gian told me about this Kuro cable.

Tang

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The van den hul D-501 Hybrid seems like a worthy option. Silver plated copper.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Before you commit to a phono cable, you may want to read Fremer’s comments about the D-501, in comparison to other phono cables in this review.

https://www.elusivedisc.com/Esoteric8NredphonocablesMFreview.pdf

I briefly went through the review. IMHO is reflects mainly the interaction of the cable with a particular cartridge I also own, the Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation, particularly with the capacitance, that affects significantly the sound balance of the cartridge. Capacitance sometimes varies a lot in these phono the cables. And no I would not want Fremer to rank the cables is such particular system - an useless effort for everyone except himself . Surely YMMV, shooting adepts will disagree! :D

I was particularly interested in his comment : "Along with listening and taking notes, I recorded each phono cable’s performance at 24 bits/88.2kHz using my BPT-modified Alesis Masterlink hard-disk recorder (decoded by the dCS Scarlatti’s DAC), so that I could later easily compare my notes with a second listen." IMHO this implies significant changes in the signal, otherwise they would be faded away by the digital loop.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I have been using the van der hul, which is ridiculously cheap, and amazed at how good it is
I have also used nordost Valhalla , which is better but the vdh is very musical and fulfilling, given the price it’s a no brainer to try

It’s low capacitance is a big advantage, I have made 2 looms, the other two tables run Valhalla

Recently I wired one of my two triplanar with pure silver wire sourced from Italy, great little company ,through to the step up, this has been excellent with the Monaco and step up

To me, it is always system dependent

Given the price the vdh should be your first try, I use the all copper not hybrid

I would not buy any ic u cannot try before hand in phono given their expense and system dependent

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing