Calling all Ch Precision experts

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
I currently use a P1 and a C1 each with their own X1. Im thinking of what to buy next and its between buying another P1 or a T1. What should i get ?

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Pweg, how much digital do you evisage listening to? You'd have to be fairly into your digital audio to justify adding the T1 to your C1 dac. OTOH, If you listen mostly to vinyl, then my advice would be simply to buy more music (until you've got the space to upgrade your speakers). I say that because imho loudspeakers and the room have the most influence on the sound. My 2c.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
May I suggest contacting Roy Gregory via The Audio Beat as he is very experienced with CH products and has used them extensively. Also, HiFi+ recently compared L1 stereo and mono versions with 1 and 2 X1s (in Roy's house) so may be worthwhile to read that as a reference point for what the likely benefits would be for upgrading P1 stereo to P1 mono. Hope this helps!

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
To maximise your P1 i think you need not only another P1 but another X1. To maximise your C1 you need two other boxes to make a C1 mono and then 3 X1s.

P1- P1 + X1(empty)
C1 - C1 +C1 + X1 + X1(Empty) + T1
That's a lot of boxes!:eek:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
May I suggest contacting Roy Gregory via The Audio Beat as he is very experienced with CH products and has used them extensively. Also, HiFi+ recently compared L1 stereo and mono versions with 1 and 2 X1s (in Roy's house) so may be worthwhile to read that as a reference point for what the likely benefits would be for upgrading P1 stereo to P1 mono. Hope this helps!

I doubt he would have as much experience with CH as Gian

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
My opinion would be based on asking you a question first. What do you listen to the most and which is the most important to you?
A C1 to a C1 mono is not just ordering additional pieces Howie BTW.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
My opinion would be based on asking you a question first. What do you listen to the most and which is the most important to you?
i prefer the sound of my TT to digital - but must admit the convenience of digital does make listening easy. Im probably going to get both - its just which one will give a greater uptick in sound quality because thats the one i want first :)

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
i prefer the sound of my TT to digital - but must admit the convenience of digital does make listening easy. Im probably going to get both - its just which one will give a greater uptick in sound quality because thats the one i want first :)
IM strictly digital at this point in my life. I have a C1.1 Mono with the new HD card and HD Ethernet, the T1 clock and 3 X-1's. I have heard a lot of top end digital including dCS, MSB, Total Dac and I think the CH is amazing. We are going to exhibit next year with Wadax and I hope they bring the new Reference DAC so I can play with that for a few days at Axpona 2020.
I believe both items will give you a major improvement I think the choice is WIN WIN !

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
To maximise your P1 i think you need not only another P1 but another X1. To maximise your C1 you need two other boxes to make a C1 mono and then 3 X1s.

P1- P1 + X1(empty)
As I told an audiophile recently, that's what's known as "The slippery slope"! :D

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
IM strictly digital at this point in my life. I have a C1.1 Mono with the new HD card and HD Ethernet, the T1 clock and 3 X-1's. I have heard a lot of top end digital including dCS, MSB, Total Dac and I think the CH is amazing. We are going to exhibit next year with Wadax and I hope they bring the new Reference DAC so I can play with that for a few days at Axpona 2020.
I believe both items will give you a major improvement I think the choice is WIN WIN !
The Wadax is pretty sweet sounding... IMG_20190828_124820.jpg

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Yes I realise that. It has be configured as the C1 mono from the beginning. I was trying to lessen the impact! :p

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I have to say. Today I listened to the Total Dac Twelve and the Lampi Pacific (for the first time). Then i went home and listened to my bog standard C1 without X1, without HD card etc. I was pleasantly surprised that it was very competitive. I was almost ready to change brand. Now i need to reconsider may be updating the HD card, adding the ethernet card and a X1.....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You need to change tubes on the Lampi to do fit it properly. And try listening to the Golden gate which is quite different from the Pacific

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
You need to change tubes on the Lampi to do fit it properly. And try listening to the Golden gate which is quite different from the Pacific
I do realise tube rolling is quite the thing with Lampis. Don't get me wrong. I could easily live with the Pacific or the TD. I was just pleasantly surprised at how good the CH was as it is cheaper here than the other two. Admittedly the best way to compare would be to demo them at home but this will be difficult.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I do realise tube rolling is quite the thing with Lampis. Don't get me wrong. I could easily live with the Pacific or the TD. I was just pleasantly surprised at how good the CH was as it is cheaper here than the other two. Admittedly the best way to compare would be to demo them at home but this will be difficult.

The right tubes for the system make quite a massive change, make it sound like a different dax
heihei did demo GG and the CH (and Vivaldi) in his system and chose the GG

Reactions: howiebrou

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

P1- P1 + X1(empty)
As a humorous note, maybe not, I get a kick out of the "shotest signal path" crowd then see their kit. :p
Not a judgment, just an observation.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
The right tubes for the system make quite a massive change, make it sound like a different dax
heihei did demo GG and the CH (and Vivaldi) in his system and chose the GG

I think i will continue this on a Lampi thread so as not to rain on the CH parade....

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think i will continue this on a Lampi thread so as not to rain on the CH parade....

Apologies no need to continue i was commenting on latest activity and did not realize which thread

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have to say. Today I listened to the Total Dac Twelve and the Lampi Pacific (for the first time). Then i went home and listened to my bog standard C1 without X1, without HD card etc. I was pleasantly surprised that it was very competitive. I was almost ready to change brand. Now i need to reconsider may be updating the HD card, adding the ethernet card and a X1.....
you should absolutely upgrade your C1 with the HD card and the Ethernet HD card ( streaming with Qobuz is great) and and an X-1. It is a world class machine . THe CH digital is highly UNDER- Rated for whatever reasons probably as I said before becasue they make world class other items that get all the press

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
you should absolutely upgrade your C1 with the HD card and the Ethernet HD card ( streaming with Qobuz is great) and and an X-1. It is a world class machine . THe CH digital is highly UNDER- Rated for whatever reasons probably as I said before becasue they make world class other items that get all the press
I'm sure you're right Elliot. May be i should stop chasing the rainbow.

One question, how much better is the C1 mono without X1s compared to a single C1 with a X1. I ask because budgets have limits and supposedly the P1 with X1 is better than just the P1 monos.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing