Calling all ex - Shindo preamp owners

longinc

Nov 26, 2020
Hello,

I am currently using and enjoying my Shindo Masseto preamp, but there is always an eye to see what else is out there. Terribly promiscuous, I know. To be clear, I am not trying in any way to disparage Shindo preamps (they are great), but was curious whether there are any ex-Shindo preamp owners out here - I would love to get some insight into what convinced you to move on and to which other brand(s) you moved on to (and why). Thank you!

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
perhaps adding the rest of your system will encourage more, and more detailed, responses?

I don't have a personal comment, other than my client went from a full Shindo system to ( after some experiments ) a ss Crayon integrated and phono. Thats a big change so maybe more than you were looking at?

Reactions: longinc

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
From Shindo Vosne-Romanee to a Conrad Johnson GAT2. The Shindo V-R brought a cozy, romantic sound but was a bit veiled. The CJ has all the beauty of the V-R but offers better transients and dynamics…

longinc

Nov 26, 2020
Thanks @Solypsa and @2ndLiner for your sharing!

@Solypsa my setup includes: preamp (shindo masseto), power amp (first watt sit-3), speakers (chapman T7 speakers - 2014 model), source is a CD transport into a Mojo Audio Evo B4B DAC, but am also thinking of resurrecting/upgrading my turntable set up (Rega P3-24 TT + Benz Micro Wood cart) to take advantage of the Shindo phono stage.

@2ndLiner what power amp and speakers were you pairing with your VR at that time?

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Shindo D’Yquem mono blocs with Devore O96 speakers. The system was excellent delivering small group jazz, Afrocuban, string quartet, singer/songwriter but with larger ensemble classical and rock it struggled. My current system with the CJ pre includes VAC 200iq mono blocs and Raidho TD1.2 speakers and the DEBRA bass array system from James Romeyn. It captures some of the SET beauty while delivering more detail and dynamics…

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello,

I am currently using and enjoying my Shindo Masseto preamp, but there is always an eye to see what else is out there. Terribly promiscuous, I know. To be clear, I am not trying in any way to disparage Shindo preamps (they are great), but was curious whether there are any ex-Shindo preamp owners out here - I would love to get some insight into what convinced you to move on and to which other brand(s) you moved on to (and why). Thank you!

I have not heard Masseto but have heard the next two - Vosnee Romanee and Giscours. For a built in phono with preamp, the lower models are very good value for money in the used market, you need to spend much more on separates to upgrade.

Even with Giscours, at used price of 10 - 12k euro, a combined phono + pre is a good value for something that retains price.

If you want to move on from it depends on your sonic preference, what you listen to, etc. Shindo for me is very coloured. Yes it is big sounding and valvey, big stage. So there are like many choices for you to move on to depending on your direction.

Some SS preamps like Soulution, Spectral, CH, Dartzeel, Stern, for example are stellar with their own amps and can work very well with valve power amplifiers. I do know someone who preferred the Dartzeel pre to his Giscours into his Shindo power amp.

Other great valve preamps can be Thomas Mayer 10y.

Imo given your system and current TT set up, spending more for separates will be too unbalanced given the budget for the rest of your set up. So you should stay with something like Shindo or Ear which are good value for the pre-phono combo. I assume you don't spend much on quality LPs at the moment, and only if you do will get benefits of different higher priced electronics.

If you are just itching to change, you can take any of the recommendations on the thread with a good deal.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Matched systems are the best with manufacturers like Shindo who make an entire lineup. I would keep the Masseto and replace that First Watt. Then if you are serious about vinyl I would dump that Rega ASAP.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Shindo D’Yquem mono blocs with Devore O96 speakers. The system was excellent delivering small group jazz, Afrocuban, string quartet, singer/songwriter but with larger ensemble classical and rock it struggled. My current system with the CJ pre includes VAC 200iq mono blocs and Raidho TD1.2 speakers and the DEBRA bass array system from James Romeyn. It captures some of the SET beauty while delivering more detail and dynamics…
A good SET amp delivers detail and dynamics to die for. Just sayin’

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A good SET amp delivers detail and dynamics to die for. Just sayin’

I had hoped we were all past pretending that our personal, subjective preferences are objective fact.

There are many system contexts in which even a good SET amp will not deliver "detail and dynamics to die for."

Last edited:

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I had hoped we were all past pretending that our personal, subjective preferences are objective fact.

There are many system contexts in which even a good SET amp will not deliver "detail and dynamics to die for."
I had hoped that when I posted my experiences in both the music and hifi industries you would get it that I’m not that guy and have had hands on experience in production mixing manufacturing retail etc. A quality SET will deliver all the detail and dynamics required.

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Hi @Cableman = It might have been a different story for me (5 years ago) if I had been in contact with you when I had my Shindo/Devore setup (pun mostly unintended). Your experience and advice could have served to maximize my SET setup's capabilities. There was much about the sound I enjoyed as it could be mesmerizing with some music. As my listening room is small I have limitations when it comes to speaker size and positioning so that certainly was and to a lessor degree still is an issue. The O96's may have been too big a speaker for my room. The system that I currently have gets me closer to that intersection of desirable sonic elements and makes listening to the variety of musical styles I enjoy a joy! What are the components of SET systems you've heard that have knocked you out? Thanks and Best!

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Hi @Cableman = It might have been a different story for me (5 years ago) if I had been in contact with you when I had my Shindo/Devore setup (pun mostly unintended). Your experience and advice could have served to maximize my SET setup's capabilities. There was much about the sound I enjoyed as it could be mesmerizing with some music. As my listening room is small I have limitations when it comes to speaker size and positioning so that certainly was and to a lessor degree still is an issue. The O96's may have been too big a speaker for my room. The system that I currently have gets me closer to that intersection of desirable sonic elements and makes listening to the variety of musical styles I enjoy a joy! What are the components of SET systems you've heard that have knocked you out? Thanks and Best!
One thing I would say that slightly disagrees with your comment. Don’t know what size your listening room is but mine is indeed small by others standards. Yet I use full range speakers and yes they work in my confined space. So it’s absolutely possibly to get all you need even in a small room 2ndLiner

Last edited:

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Oh and to be precise. The Audiopax Model 88, which the designer used to refer to somewhat wryly as ‘a single ended pentode’, but only if the utterly unique timbre lock device is set 100% spot on. Near impossible to get right but still do-able I’m pleased to say.

The Model88 will pair with pretty much any speaker. Yes really! ( im sure there’s plenty it won’t but I’m yet to encounter them).

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had hoped that when I posted my experiences in both the music and hifi industries you would get it that I’m not that guy and have had hands on experience in production mixing manufacturing retail etc. A quality SET will deliver all the detail and dynamics required.

I see no industry or biographical information in the "About" section of your WBF member profile. In any event I find what people post to be more probative than self-characterizations.

I see very strong opinions stated by you unqualifiedly with little to no system context:

Jadis now is the pits. A disgrace.

The Momentum was AWFUL - a right POS compared to the three others I evaluated.

The Dagostino Momentum was a dog!

I find such comments more typical of a beginning Audiogon member than an experienced industry and music professional.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I see no industry or biographical information in the "About" section of your WBF member profile. In any event I find what people post to be more probative than self-characterizations.

I see very strong opinions stated by you unqualifiedly with little to no system context:

"Jadis now is the pits. A disgrace."

"The Momentum was AWFUL - a right POS compared to the three others I evaluated."

"The Dagostino Momentum was a dog!"

I find such comments more typical of a beginning Audiogon member than an experienced industry and music professional.
lol. I did post my experience on another thread. Guess you missed it.
Am I wrong about Jadis and d’agostinos Phonostage. Actually. No. I’m right.
Thx for your concerns.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Ergo…I’ve worked on many sides of both the music and hifi industries. Record label owner. Artist Management Producer Record Mixer Concert Promoter. Hifi Dealer Distributor and now Manufacturer. I call it like I sees it.

audiogon beginner? Lol

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing