Calling on OWNERS of Upgraded Apogees & Sanders 10e Electrostatics

Soothsayer

Feb 6, 2022
I never heard Duettas before, so I can’t say how they compare. However, they are very stiff and I would say the build quality is probably much better than the originals. The reconditioned Scintillas which were 1 ohm, did not sound much different than the old 4 ohm pair I have. That surprised me.

vucubaquix

Nov 14, 2020
Interesting about the Scintillas. And not the first time I have heard that from people who have had their Apogees upgraded. Perhaps there is wisdom in the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" saying. I am leaning towards running my Divas until they need surgery. Would be very nice to hear an upgraded pair but that seems pretty much impossible.

Soothsayer

Feb 6, 2022
I try to be level headed about system changes. I give it a week or two before I pass judgement and let the newness wear off. I’m amazed at how many people claim their latest purchase is leaps and bounds better than what they replaced, only to decide to sell that item shortly thereafter. If I evaluate a component with the expectation that it is inferior to what I’m already using, it’s amazing how “bad” it sounds. Last year I was switching preamps in and out of my system to see how they sounded. I had an old NAD preamp from when I was in college. I put it in and instantly determined it was awful. Fast forward a month later and I had a tube go out on the preamp I was using. All I had at the time was the NAD so I plugged it in and BAM! What do you know? It sounded really good. Of course it did. I needed it to sound good to fill in for the other one that was out of commission. I honestly don’t trust my initial reactions anymore. Haha.

vucubaquix

Nov 14, 2020
I try to be level headed about system changes. I give it a week or two before I pass judgement and let the newness wear off. I’m amazed at how many people claim their latest purchase is leaps and bounds better than what they replaced, only to decide to sell that item shortly thereafter. If I evaluate a component with the expectation that it is inferior to what I’m already using, it’s amazing how “bad” it sounds. Last year I was switching preamps in and out of my system to see how they sounded. I had an old NAD preamp from when I was in college. I put it in and instantly determined it was awful. Fast forward a month later and I had a tube go out on the preamp I was using. All I had at the time was the NAD so I plugged it in and BAM! What do you know? It sounded really good. Of course it did. I needed it to sound good to fill in for the other one that was out of commission. I honestly don’t trust my initial reactions anymore. Haha.
So true that is. I do need time and concentration to trust my own ears. Time to purge the snake oil, pseudo science , ad supported fake reviews and all the static from the forum jungles.

Soothsayer

Feb 6, 2022
I would ride out your Divas until they don’t sound good anymore. Those Scintillas I have are old and ragged out, yet they still sound great (if you can ignore the occasional buzz). I enjoy trying new things (tubes vs solid state, different speaker wire, vibration dampening, etc). However, I’m getting weary of it all. I just sold a bunch of components on Audiogon. I have too much stuff I don’t use.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing