Can 200$ IC cable bump 2k$ Audio Note IC?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Few day's ago, I started getting hum.

After investigation of all connection, I found out that Audio Note Interconnect RCA cable from Lyngdorf 2170 to Silbatone SET amp.was the culprit.

I replaced it with Crystal Cable that I had kept in storage.

Oh my god, the soundstage got more three dimensional with Crystal Cable.

But Crystal cable does not have tight and deep bass as Audio Note cable.

I had kept two digital cables to connect from my music server to reclocker and then to Lyngdorf 2170.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...-ohm-morpheus-reference-series-ii-1-m-digital

To compare with Crystal cable, I had tried out pairs of digital cable from Silnote that I paid 100$ each as IC cable.

Wow it sounds wonderful with weighty bass and excellent tonality.

The only missing thing is some refinement at treble, but it is not terribly bad either.

I can not claim that pairs of digital cable which cost me 200$ bump Audio Note IC cable that I paid 2k$ 18 years ago.

But it is almost comparable to the overall performance of Audio note cable.

I have to repair Audio note IC cable but in the meantime I decide to do IC cable rolling.

I ordered Teo Audio GCii IC cables as a starting point relying on 30 day's return policy.

I will compare Teo Audio IC with Silnote morpheus cable.

If l prefer one brand over the other, then I will order upper model of winning brand.

Another interesting thing happened to used Teresonic Clarrison Speaker Cables that I paid 300$ this week.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...peaker-cable-7-feet-speaker?show_listing=true

I bought this speaker cable for connection to PSB sub woofer.

But when I replaced Audio Note speaker cables with Teresonic Clarrison Speaker Cables just for fun, I found out the latter is more holographic with just little bit of less tight bass.

I paid 3K$ for Audio Note speaker cables 18 years ago.

I decided to keep using Teresonic Clarrison for a while for long term impression.

Anyway, I am surprised to find that the cables that I paid 200$ and 300$ closely match the performance of Audio Note Cables that I paid 10 times more 18 years ago.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I received Zenwave D4 trial cable with courtesy of Dave today.

Right out of the box, this cable sounds promising with clear focus and natural dynamics( it had already been burnt in).

I will keep listening to it and compare it with Teo Audio GCII cable to arrive next Monday.

I will update the progress.

Reactions: GMKF

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Looking forward to your comments on the Teo Audio GCII cable, they have a unique liquid conductor design which is reported to have some unique physical properties and audible benefits.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Looking forward to your comments on the Teo Audio GCII cable, they have a unique liquid conductor design which is reported to have some unique physical properties and audible benefits.
I will do that. The only problem is that Teo cable need at least one week of burn in to compare with Zenwave cable.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
If you want a superb cable for a peanuts price, there is a great option from Black Cat cable called Coppertone...see review here: www. fairhedon.com
Two well respected reviewers are raving about it, and for very good reason, imho.

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
If you want a superb cable for a peanuts price, there is a great option from Black Cat cable called Coppertone...see review here: www. fairhedon.com
Two well respected reviewers are raving about it, and for very good reason, imho.
I
Thanks for your recommendation.

Since I can repair Audio Note cables, I do not need cable not better than Audio Note.

It may be too early, but my impression so far is that Zenwave D4 is better sounding in my system than Audio note in tonal balance and natural dynamics.

I will keep listening to it for 2 weeks to reach clear conclusion.

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have once replaced the Audio Note Japan (Kondo) IC on a Kondo M1000/2 preamp with VdH The First Ultimate ($200 used) and ended up prefering the vdH. Go figure.

Reactions: bonzo75 and thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I have once replaced the Audio Note Japan (Kondo) IC on a Kondo M1000/2 preamp with VdH The First Ultimate ($200 used) and ended up prefering the vdH. Go figure.
Choice of cable is dependent on system and personal taste.

I expect to have lot of fun with IC cable rolling for next 3 weeks.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Now I am back to Audio Note speaker cables from Teresonic Clarrison Speaker Cables .

Although Teresonic Clarrison Speaker Cables is quite good with lot of transparency but fall short of Audio Note speaker cables at dynamics.

Also Audio Note SC gives more inner details than Teresonic Clarrison.

In bright system Audio Note SC can sound hard and Teresonic Clarrison more forgiving and relaxed.

But the difference is minor and Teresonic Clarrison is still an excellent cable.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I received Teo GCII yesterday.

Eva Cassidy’s voice is a good test for details and clean treble of cable.

Through Audio Note and Zenwave D4, her voice is mesmerizing.

But through Teo GCii, I do not get enough details or air.

On the other hand, I prefer Teo GCii to either Audio Note or Zenwave D4 in playing Mahler’s Symphony with nice definition and decay.

Teo GCii which cost 600$ is still very good for the price.

Teo Ultra is comparable to Zenwave D4 on price.

So it will be fair to compare those two.

I had been using Zenwave D4 for one week and found it very excellent cable with clean treble, overall good balance, wide and deep soundstage.

But I will try to audition Teo Ultra before moving on.

Reactions: audio.bill

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing