Can anyone recommend a Benchmark DAC 1 or something similar?

Rshatzer

Jan 21, 2012
Since sorting out my room (from another thread), I can't help but notice my analog really smokes my digital playback. Been teetering forever about an external DAC to go with my Rotel. Can anyone tell me if this would be an upwards move or just lateral? The Benchmark has gotten many good reviews and is affordable. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'd say spend a few bucks more and get the Mytek Stereo192... does PCM up to 192 as well as DSD. I feel it sounds better than any Benchmark. If you don't want to mess with Mytek, go with a Lavry DA11

Rshatzer

Jan 21, 2012
I'd say spend a few bucks more and get the Mytek Stereo192... does PCM up to 192 as well as DSD. I feel it sounds better than any Benchmark. If you don't want to mess with Mytek, go with a Lavry DA11

Thanks for the suggestions , Bruce. The Lavry i'd considered, but the Myotech is new to me. Both look promising. The market seems flooded with DACs at every price point, especially at $1,000 - $1500. Not having experience with any of them, makes deciding even harder. The best digital i've heard next to Spectral, was an Oracle CDP, neither of which I can afford ATM. The Oracle still haunts me. It was musical, but also ruthless in it's resolution. Whether or not that ruthlessness would get tiresome I know not.

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Bruce,

Were you referring to the Stereo 192 DSD-DAC ? Little information about it on the Mytek site which led me to think it was not a current product. Lots to dig up with Google, though.

Tom

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce,

Were you referring to the Stereo 192 DSD-DAC ? Little information about it on the Mytek site which led me to think it was not a current product. Lots to dig up with Google, though.

Tom

That is correct. It's a current product that has been shipped for a few months.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Thanks for your help, Bruce. After more than a week of DAC shopping I'm leaning towards the Mytek; it's feature-rich and has a strong following among both the pro guys and the audiophile crowd.

Tom

That is correct. It's a current product that has been shipped for a few months.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have two Benchmark DACs (modded DAC1 and new DAC1 Pre) and really think they sound great. I auditioned the Lavry on several occasions and feel it is not nearly as good. I have not heard the Mytek. The upper line sounds a little better than the lower line due to more of the better quality op-amps being included.

Rshatzer

Jan 21, 2012
I have two Benchmark DACs (modded DAC1 and new DAC1 Pre) and really think they sound great. I auditioned the Lavry on several occasions and feel it is not nearly as good. I have not heard the Mytek. The upper line sounds a little better than the lower line due to more of the better quality op-amps being included.

I'm very near purchasing a Benchmark. 30 day refund policy and they have a great track record to boot. Appreciate all the responses and learning of a couple that I hadn't heard of too.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'm very near purchasing a Benchmark. 30 day refund policy and they have a great track record to boot. Appreciate all the responses and learning of a couple that I hadn't heard of too.

Let us know how it goes. One hallmark of the Benchmark dacs is really high quality bass.

Rshatzer

Jan 21, 2012
Let us know how it goes. One hallmark of the Benchmark dacs is really high quality bass.

Will do , Lee. I have the money for the DAC 1, but the DAC 1 Pre intrigues me more, so need a bit more cash. The thought of feeding it my phonostage's signal and possibly getting a lower noise floor than my Anthem preamp, is an experiment I must try.

RDB

Jan 8, 2012
Niagara Falls NY.

I've spoken with Rory at Benchmark about the DAC1 USB and came away with very positive thoughts. The one thing he told me was that their products are 100% made right in Syracuse NY.

I'm really considering the DAC1 USB but I have a couple more in the mix, namely the M2Tech Young and the Wadia 121 which is to be released soon I hope.

Rshatzer

Jan 21, 2012
I've spoken with Rory at Benchmark about the DAC1 USB and came away with very positive thoughts. The one thing he told me was that their products are 100% made right in Syracuse NY.

I'm really considering the DAC1 USB but I have a couple more in the mix, namely the M2Tech Young and the Wadia 121 which is to be released soon I hope.

If not for insufficient funds ATM, i'd have bought a Benchmark by now. Communicated with Rory through emails and he seems like a stand up guy with a very good company. The new Oracle DAC and transport looks great too, but out of my league this year. You may want to look at them as well...

http://www.oracle-audio.com/?action=produit&lg=en

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
If not for insufficient funds ATM, i'd have bought a Benchmark by now. Communicated with Rory through emails and he seems like a stand up guy with a very good company. The new Oracle DAC and transport looks great too, but out of my league this year. You may want to look at them as well...

I have know Rory for a few years and my friend has know him for nearly a decade. Great guy and very sharp.

The issue is Oracle is they have been in and out of bankruptcy over the years. They seem to be doing better now but check resale values.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
One that has been getting a lot of notice over here in the UK is the Audiolab 8200DQ; has multiple bespoke filters also with their own coding to corect-enhance some aspects of the ESS DAC chip, uses the expensive ESS Sabre32 9018 DAC chip, and importantly designed and developed by John Westlake who also did the DACMagic.
The 8200DQ is much more advanced in engineering than the DACMagic so this is what makes it very interesting, also here in the UK the price is incredibly competitive.
So not sure if it is already available in your country but one to hunt down if it is, as this is in the similar price bracket I think to other DACs mentioned.
Also what is really nice about John is that he engaged with those interested in his work on the internet and chatted a lot when developing the 8200 and gaining experience with the ESS Sabre chip and further enhancements required to it.

Make sure the Audiolab is the DQ model as this has uprated power supply design compared to the earlier models.

Cheers
Orb

Rshatzer

Jan 21, 2012
I have know Rory for a few years and my friend has know him for nearly a decade. Great guy and very sharp.

The issue is Oracle is they have been in and out of bankruptcy over the years. They seem to be doing better now but check resale values.

Glad to know my radar was spot on about Rory. Seriously, he does seem as you say. I've read the blog at the Benchmark website and was impressed with the different Benchmark staff's commentary. Didn't know about Oracle's financial problems. If true, it's sad because I think they have a great product line.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing