Can Horn Speakers Disappear like Planars, Stats, and Omnis? Is the Disappearance Act Subjective? Or based on Placement and Partnering Equipment?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I recall the big Magico horns could disappear like a small monitor speaker.

That's great, I have heard so many varied reports on them, but that's true of most horn speakers.

I am not surprised Alon would do an excellent job with their design though, I do admire many of his speakers.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
disappearance . . . I separate it from tone, bass, dynamics, etc. It is just like the speakers are not there and the sound comes from air. Elecrostats do that the best imo

+1

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Bill,

Please put your pencil down, make two or three identical pairs of the current primary design, and send them into the audio world.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I recall the big Magico horns could disappear like a small monitor speaker.

who heard them outside Munich except for Jazzhead?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've set up plenty of systems using both. If done properly both seem to work exactly as well. The one comment I get again and again about using the horns I do (Classic Audio Loudspeakers) is 'these things sound like electrostatics' because they are just as fast and just as transparent. FWIW the horn employs a field coil, which is the only other tech that can be as fast as an ESL and for exactly the same reason- the motive force does not sag when a signal is applied. Beyond that the diaphragm is beryllium and apparently has its first breakup at about 35KHz.

field coils were magical with Western electric. I have heard line magnetic FCs in the same WE 16a horn and they disappointed. There are people making their own FCs on forums like just like they do any component DIY. Slagle makes his own too first he did them with Lowther and then with Radian.

FC is not a magic bullet unless, like everything it's a great FC like WE. How many really make FC today? Beryllium can be easily obtained from TAD/Radian or adding the truextent to other drivers. As can paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveC

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
The only time i had the experience of "disapearing speakers" at a hifi show was with the Omnidrive demo.
Unfortunately i have not heard this system at my place and do not know how much the front end was responible of the experience and how much the speakers alone.

Omnidrive C | Bloomline Acoustics

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
bonzo75,

I am sure others have heard the magico horns. They were on display for more than a year in The Sound Chamber in 2009. I listened to the pair every time I visited Hong Kong which at that time was almost monthly. I actually bumped into Alon Wolf while he was setting it up in The Sound Chamber.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
bonzo75,

I am sure others have heard the magico horns. They were on display for more than a year in The Sound Chamber in 2009. I listened to the pair every time I visited Hong Kong which at that time was almost monthly. I actually bumped into Alon Wolf while he was setting it up in The Sound Chamber.

Good to know, there were many threads here but no reports

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
field coils were magical with Western electric. I have heard line magnetic FCs in the same WE 16a horn and they disappointed. There are people making their own FCs on forums like just like they do any component DIY. Slagle makes his own too first he did them with Lowther and then with Radian.

FC is not a magic bullet unless, like everything it's a great FC like WE. How many really make FC today? Beryllium can be easily obtained from TAD/Radian or adding the truextent to other drivers. As can paper.

Yeah, it seems like it's one of those things where implementation is most important.

I've heard excellent drivers with all types of motors, AlNiCo is great, Neo can be great, Ferrite can be alright I guess. ;).... AER's new 5-figure drivers are Neo AFAIK.

People pay big $ to get just the right sag via rectifier tubes. :)

Reactions: bonzo75

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yeah, it seems like it's one of those things where implementation is most important.

I've heard excellent drivers with all types of motors, AlNiCo is great, Neo can be great, Ferrite can be alright I guess. ;).... AER's new 5-figure drivers are Neo AFAIK.

People pay big $ to get just the right sag via rectifier tubes. :)

The same way people use tube controllers in turntable motors ...

More seriously, field coils used with a properly adjustable power supply give us an excellent way of tuning the bass of speakers to our rooms - we can tune for efficiency and damping with great precision and range. The Focal EVO Grande Utopia includes a 16" field coil bass unit with an adjustable supply and has great bass quality.

Reactions: DaveC

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The same way people use tube controllers in turntable motors ...

More seriously, field coils used with a properly adjustable power supply give us an excellent way of tuning the bass of speakers to our rooms - we can tune for efficiency and damping with great precision and range. The Focal EVO Grande Utopia includes a 16" field coil bass unit with an adjustable supply and has great bass quality.

Agreed, good point! That's an interesting solution for adjusting bass for the room.

Maybe they should do the same for their tweeters... :eek: Mostly kidding, I like the flat top end in the right room, you can put them in room with a little more absorption without getting that "dead" sound. They have a rep for being hot due to less than optimal show setups, imo.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
They do based on my experience (Avantgarde & Sadurni), but VERY directional and a challenge to integrate compression drivers with cones.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I agree with Caesar about the general differences between ELS and MBL, and you do need good sources and amplification for best result, but a lot of stats have a mid-bass leanness and plasticity when played loudly even with good amps. CLS especially, have owned mine since 1986. :)

Yes, the leanness is definitely a problem with electrostats like Martin Logan CLX. I do not know too many amps that can fix that "fake, see-through transparency". But guys who love their detail must love that.

And many guys who have a psychological rule in their head that the gear they buy must measure great, before they can trust their ears, frequently pair stats with Sanders amps. But Sanders on stats (I've heard them on a number of Logan models and on Sanders' own speakers) and on MBLs gets the tonal balance WRONG- way too lean! Male opera singers sound like eunuch versions of themselves... a cruel time machine indeed... (but the measurement first guys deserve that. :) )

On the other hand, people say Atma-spheres are lean, but when I heard them on hybrid Logans and on Soundlabs, they are one of the greatest combinations in audio today regardless of price.
_______

And as far MBLs disappearing, when visitors come to my house, they do not realize that my MBLs are speakers... they assume the bass traps in the corners are the speakers, while the MBLs are some kind of art or lamps.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, the leanness is definitely a problem with electrostats like Martin Logan CLX. I do not know too many amps that can fix that "fake, see-through transparency". But guys who love their detail must love that.
Yes, but as you say, a few systems can make them sing. IMHO we should focus our views on such conditions.
And many guys who have a psychological rule in their head that the gear they buy must measure great, before they can trust their ears, frequently pair stats with Sanders amps. But Sanders on stats (I've heard them on a number of Logan models and on Sanders' own speakers) and on MBLs gets the tonal balance WRONG- way too lean! Male opera singers sound like eunuch versions of themselves... a cruel time machine indeed... (but the measurement first guys deserve that. :) )
I am an optimist - IMHO most people who known about measurements know that electrostatics, being a capacitive and inductive load along the frequency are an impedance nightmare and applying technical rules to such matching is beyond our usual thumb rules.

On the other hand, people say Atma-spheres are lean, but when I heard them on hybrid Logans and on Soundlabs, they are one of the greatest combinations in audio today regardless of price.
_______

And as far MBLs disappearing, when visitors come to my house, they do not realize that my MBLs are speakers... they assume the bass traps in the corners are the speakers, while the MBLs are some kind of art or lamps.
Fully agree with your opinion on improperly used Atma-Sphere and SoundLab.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
electrostatics, being a capacitive and inductive load along the frequency are an impedance nightmare and applying technical rules to such matching is beyond our usual thumb rules.
Only if not driven directly (transformerless) i want to add..

Attachments

• L1060280.JPG
    L1060280.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 10

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Only if not driven directly (transformerless) i want to add..
IMHO life insurance is mandatory for such practice! I have dreamed about driving the ESL63 directly. Are those the Acoustat DD OTLs?

Reactions: Lampie519

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Are those the Acoustat DD OTLs?
These are Acoustats with custom build OTL's (of my own design and build), I have rebuild them last year during "Corona Holidays"

Attachments

• L1060267.JPG
    L1060267.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 13
  • ASTT7635.JPG
    ASTT7635.JPG
    630.1 KB · Views: 13
  • YFJM1209.JPG
    YFJM1209.JPG
    561.3 KB · Views: 13

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
These are Acoustats with custom build OTL's (of my own design and build), I have rebuild them last year during "Corona Holidays"
Congratulations! They look fantastic. What is the voltage of the power supply?:eek:

Reactions: Lampie519

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
The voltage on the tubes is about 3kV and on the foil about 7kV.
It is something that need to be respected but not feared otherwise this will not be possible to build.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing