Can open floor plans work? I'm moving to Phoenix and few homes have closable rooms or basements for mostly/dedicated listening rooms

DRPye

Sep 18, 2011
I've had a dedicated basement listening room designed by Rives and voiced by Jim Smith that worked very well. I'm looking for a house with a sufficiently large, closable room for my Rockport Altairs (Let me know if you are selling a fitted out home...), but mostly find open floor plans that look like they will have echos and lack of bass. Besides building a dedicated room (a possible option), what can I do?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I don't imagine you like the idea of putting acoustic treatment on stands around your desired listening area as an option, but that seems like the only workaround I have seen to enclose and open floor plan space

DRPye

Sep 18, 2011
That is feasible. I have 14 Abfusors, tube traps and other acoustical treatments. How big is the difference between a closed and open floor plan?

caesar

May 30, 2010
SMT recommends a small, 72 inch "makeshift wall" of their wings, about 2 feet behind the listener's head. Works wonders.

Good Luck!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Also want to add that the good news about open floor plans is that a lot of bass escapes into the rest of the house, so you don't have to worry about a lot of the muddiness and "dead room" issues guys with poorly-treated rooms and over-treated-with-absorption rooms suffer.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
I hope you'll consider membership in the Arizona Audio Video Club.. We meet monthly (except in December) at local rooms, hi-end retailers, etc. You could e-mail me at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net after you arrive.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
That is feasible. I have 14 Abfusors, tube traps and other acoustical treatments. How big is the difference between a closed and open floor plan?

In terms of hearing the room an open floor plan tends to always be a better fit conceptually. I say conceptually because most closed rooms are smaller and you have to deal with more room modes and fix those. However, they tend to be symmetrical so you can treat equally and get it dialed in more methodically.

Open rooms usually extend into other rooms ie non symmetrical, and depending on the floor plan may have other non desirables like windows etc. If you have a floor plan in mind share it and we can do our best to give feedback when appropriate to help you make a good choice

DRPye

Sep 18, 2011
Is bass actually better in an open plan as it avoids the build up of room modes? When Rives designed my last room he said I couldn't use an open floor plan area as the room could not be pressurized for effective bass (and was asymmetrical as noted). I prefer a dedicated room and I'm assuming I would need to at least treat/design a sealable room to preclude room modes and manage reflections.

Reactions: QuadDiffuser

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The larger the room the farther down modes and nodes move in frequency.

I call this an advantage. But if your speaker is designed for lots of room gain it might sound slightly lean. The more expensive the speaker, the less it seems like they compensate for room gain because they expect people to have larger rooms.

Reactions: QuadDiffuser

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing