Can We Predict in Which Systems Audiophiles Will Like vdH Cartridges?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I am using mainly the Graham Phantom III on the TechDas. I used the vdHul Master Signature with success until I stupidly broke it and I am now using either a vdH Black Beauty , a Sumiko Palo Santos or a Kiseki Agatha Ruby when I want the full, vibrant and old fashioned drive of my younger days. The Kiseki goes in the SME 3012R.

I hope to get the vdH MS repaired back soon.
I wouldn't be hard on yourself regarding breaking the VDH, it's par for the course with their open architecture design.

Reactions: PeterA

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Oh man. A friend I know had guests and their kids over one evening. The next morning, he went to play a record only to find his VdH cantilever gone! . Of course, this could have happened with any cart. But at least with VdH, you have the benefit of relatively inexpensive repair.

Reactions: adyc

Fsonicsmith

Jun 25, 2015
Did you not set up your OP in order to bash the manufacturer? it is fairly evident to me that you did. Say what you will, VdH's mated to a complimentary tonearm and system (my Reed 3P's love them) produce very revealing sound. A tad much. Yes. But they are a lot of fun. Having multiple arms and/or tables helps ameliorate the eccentricity of VdH carts.
Now I can knock VdH as well as you can but not with some 1-2 broad-swipe. I think the QC leaves much to be desired.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Did you not set up your OP in order to bash the manufacturer? it is fairly evident to me that you did. Say what you will, VdH's mated to a complimentary tonearm and system (my Reed 3P's love them) produce very revealing sound. A tad much. Yes. But they are a lot of fun. Having multiple arms and/or tables helps ameliorate the eccentricity of VdH carts.
Now I can knock VdH as well as you can but not with some 1-2 broad-swipe. I think the QC leaves much to be desired.

there is no cartridge on WBF that gets the love that the vdH gets. nothing close. but also no cartridge that is as clearly rejected either. we can debate the why's (hence this thread), and there are many for sure, but not the reality of the situation. so it's a fair topic to consider.

i've owned 10 of them, including the MS.

if i was adding three more cartridges to my 5 i have now just as a change of pace, i would consider the vdH as one of them. or maybe others like it instead.

Reactions: jazdoc

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Please provide the evidence supporting your "fairly evident" comment.

Respectfully, your first sentence simply is not correct. I had no such thought or intention in mind.

I was seeking to test a hypothesis that vdH cartridge use is more closely correlated with neutral to warm balanced systems than with neutral to cool balanced systems.

I am a big fan of vdH cartridges in many musical contexts and in many systems. For example, I think a vdH cartridge is exactly the right choice for JimFord's Tannoy Westminster + all tube electronics system.

Reactions: tima

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I see quite a few Unicorns being feed all kinds of food and ritten of into the sunset on WBF ! ;) Sometimes it is a really good ride !

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
if i was adding three more cartridges to my 5 i have now just as a change of pace, i would consider the vdH as one of them. or maybe others like it instead.

I don't know if this is a fair request Mike, but I'm curious: would you list them and rank them however you choose?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I don't know if this is a fair request Mike, but I'm curious: would you list them and rank them however you choose?

sure. i'm fully happy with my three MC Etsuro Golds as my cartridges. i feel they are my 'ideal' for the best view of the music and my individual turntable and system attributes. and note that all Etsuro Gold's are not created equal.

that said; all my arms i use with stereo moving coils do have headshells; so it would be easy to play around with other choices. and if i was to select interesting cartridges to own as alternatives it might be like this.

1--stone body diamond cantilever Koetsu (i think a super-duper alternative viewpoint on the Saskia) more into sexy and big and bold.
2--Top Wing Suzaku Red Sparrow (when the stars align a great linear tracking arm cartridge for the CS Port)
3--vdH MS (C)/Decca Reference (B)/Tzar DST (A). (a cartridge that gets out on the edge and goes crazy (the Lou Reed move----a walk on the wild side) for the NVS).

and with 7 phono channels and 4 of them extremely flexible i would have no issues on the phono side of things.

these are just cartridges that have caught my eye, and i'm sure there are dozens of alternatives that might accomplish the same thing. and i have no budget to seriously acquire any of these at this time. i've committed so much these last few years to my vinyl i'm all wrung out.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I'd be curious to know if anyone has tried the X-quisite family of cartridges? They seem to have unique technology and off-the-chart reviews.
WBF member iaxel did acquire one here.....

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
... and note that all Etsuro Gold's are not created equal.
Just curious: Are you saying that your 3 Golds were selected and graded from a larger pool?
i've committed so much these last few years to my vinyl i'm all wrung out...
Not that it matters much but I have found your writings on this journey to be quite interesting, especially since this isn't your first round in the ring...

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
sure. i'm fully happy with my three MC Etsuro Golds as my cartridges. i feel they are my 'ideal' for the best view of the music and my individual turntable and system attributes. and note that all Etsuro Gold's are not created equal.

that said; all my arms i use with stereo moving coils do have headshells; so it would be easy to play around with other choices. and if i was to select interesting cartridges to own as alternatives it might be like this.

1--stone body diamond cantilever Koetsu (i think a super-duper alternative viewpoint on the Saskia) more into sexy and big and bold.
2--Top Wing Suzaku Red Sparrow (when the stars align a great linear tracking arm cartridge for the CS Port)
3--vdH MS (C)/Decca Reference (B)/Tzar DST (A). (a cartridge that gets out on the edge and goes crazy (the Lou Reed move----a walk on the wild side) for the NVS).

Thanks for taking the time to give us that write-up, Mike.

After reading Syntax's post #189 in his system thread about the Koetsu Blue Lace, I can imagine having that cartridge in one's stable.

Quite the testimony to the Etsuro Gold that it takes top places 1-3. Since you mentioned not all such cartridges are equal, can you say a bit more on that? Are there sonic differences among your three in the same system context? Or build quality differences? Did you cull through more than three to select the ones you have? I'd wager that outside the factory you're the only person in the world who has the opportunity to make such a comparison.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

and with 7 phono channels and 4 of them extremely flexible i would have no issues on the phono side of things.

these are just cartridges that have caught my eye, and i'm sure there are dozens of alternatives that might accomplish the same thing. and i have no budget to seriously acquire any of these at this time. i've committed so much these last few years to my vinyl i'm all wrung out.

Hi Mike,

Consider adding a DaVa Reference field coil cartridge for another flavour. Could be immense fun on a heavy arm on the Saskia.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing