Can You Believe This-The Government Wants Us To Go EV but In So Doing They Will impose a gas surcharge

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Absolutely, this is one way to force the Yemen war into the focus of Westerners who will finally show an interest.

If millions of refugees fleeing Syria didn’t make westerners care, why would a 5% increase in oil prices?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sorry, we're deep in the Brexit bunker here in the UK
Everything is politics

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
After the drone attack, a significant price spike is expected

If the oil price jumps again to 4 dollars a gallon people will choke on their 5 dollar lattes

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Coffee is way cheaper up here Ked. Made w water straight from our moat.

Reactions: bonzo75

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Do you guys have to make the topic more political than it already is????

This is a political topic. The lobbying of the gas companies (Koch) is behind these laws. If you look at a map of the stiffest taxes/penalties, they are in deeply red states.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

No, this law is about the fact that US states use gas tax to pave the roads.

Reactions: PeterA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good luck to everyone w the New Green Deal that's coming fast down the tracks. It'll make our griping here look like nothing in comparison.

Reactions: PeterA

rogerh113

Jul 26, 2017
As an engineer, I look at electric vehicles with a bit of concern, as I feel they are FALSELY REPRESENTED. They only don't pollute at the tailpipe, but are polluting elsewhere. Most don't look at the verbiage carefully enough, or neglect the reality of the situation.

The bottom line is that a certain amount of power will be required to move a 4000 pound vehicle to speed and keep it there. Saying that there is no pollution from an EV is pure BS, no matter what the source of electricity. For many, they plug into the electrical system, and that energy is being generated somewhere, likely causing pollution. I worked in the chip equipment manufacturing business for several years, and had a friend at Solyndra (the government sponsored solar power company in California that failed spectacularly). After much questioning, he finally said that the energy recovery time for a solar panel was over 10 years at full output. Not sure that is still true, but as with all things, there is no free ride. Even for electric cars.

There are a lot of issues with electric cars, so I would not jump in with both feet prior to considering the reality. I think that the local power company here in California is starting to have increasing power supply demands from all of the electric car plug-ins. Wait a minute - is that really saving anything??

A real comparison of energy usage between electric, hybrid, and combustion would be most useful, and likely to be a real eye opener. The option to go with a light weight, low powered combustion vehicle was passed up years ago (think Smart Car), and instead the trend is still towards heavy (or very heavy) vehicles with very fast acceleration and untold ammenities. Lots of energy required to provide all of that for the demanding driver......

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well one cannot argue with your thoughts but the reality is the electric vehicle is the the future here now and as time goes by EV's will be available in all shapes and sizes

Porsche is releasing their Taycan which last year they were taking reservations at a price of $65K. Last week Porsche announced that the MSRP base price of the car is $145K. There will be a turbo version taking it with options to almost $200K

This IMO is sheer insanity. Every car maker is entering the EV market and with gas in the range of $5/gallon and going higher one would have to be either independently wealthy not to care about the rising cost of fossil fuel or just plain wearing blinkers

As far as charging an EV most everyone I know uses the Super Charger stations. My son has been using the Super Charger station for the past year and has never paid a penny for dong such

rogerh113

Jul 26, 2017
The government, and industry, can motivate people to do the right or wrong thing. Tesla has been hard-selling their vehicles for some time, with the help of government subsidies. I guess in the case of your son, add in free 'fuel'. What was it again that herion dealers used to do? Provide free samples until they no longer needed to, and then the result and the true price became painfully apparent (sooner or later).

If you look at all the elements of this electric vehicle program, it has not been thought through to the end point, but merely touted on it's trendiness and helping with greenhouse gas generation (which it likely does not do - fraud). If all the details had been honestly exposed, that would be a different thing.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well we are going to have to agree to disagree. as fossil fuels become scarcer and prices rise it makes me think of the Mad Max Movies.

EV is here whether you agree or not

Where I live there is a plethora of EV's and growing daily. Further about 1 in 4 houses in our area are all solar including mine

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

rogerh113

Jul 26, 2017
I would agree 100%. The US grew with the car in place, and public transit is ineffective except in the large cities. We are in the Silicon Valley, and while public transit is highly pushed and funded, very few actually use it. Some take the train to San Francisco. The most well known local public transit are buses that run all night that the bums sleep in. Those were almost cancelled, but the public decided to retain the 'mobile crash pads'.

Reactions: Folsom

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
As an engineer, I look at electric vehicles with a bit of concern, as I feel they are FALSELY REPRESENTED. They only don't pollute at the tailpipe, but are polluting elsewhere. Most don't look at the verbiage carefully enough, or neglect the reality of the situation.

The bottom line is that a certain amount of power will be required to move a 4000 pound vehicle to speed and keep it there. Saying that there is no pollution from an EV is pure BS, no matter what the source of electricity. For many, they plug into the electrical system, and that energy is being generated somewhere, likely causing pollution. I worked in the chip equipment manufacturing business for several years, and had a friend at Solyndra (the government sponsored solar power company in California that failed spectacularly). After much questioning, he finally said that the energy recovery time for a solar panel was over 10 years at full output. Not sure that is still true, but as with all things, there is no free ride. Even for electric cars.

There are a lot of issues with electric cars, so I would not jump in with both feet prior to considering the reality. I think that the local power company here in California is starting to have increasing power supply demands from all of the electric car plug-ins. Wait a minute - is that really saving anything??

A real comparison of energy usage between electric, hybrid, and combustion would be most useful, and likely to be a real eye opener. The option to go with a light weight, low powered combustion vehicle was passed up years ago (think Smart Car), and instead the trend is still towards heavy (or very heavy) vehicles with very fast acceleration and untold ammenities. Lots of energy required to provide all of that for the demanding driver......

Energy generation in California is quite clean with the majority of power coming from Natural Gas, Hydroelectric and non-hydroelectric renewables. All vastly cleaner that burning petrol. https___blogs-images.forbes.com_arielcohen_files_2018_09_chart.png

rogerh113

Jul 26, 2017
As I said before, are solar and wind actually pollutant free? If you ignore the energy put into making them they might be, but then a lot of energy goes into that. I think hydro is a good thing, but with the water issues in California and global warming, I am wondering how long that will be a major contributor. Surprised to see nuclear on the list - not sure where that is coming from, or if it is being shipped in from out of state.

In an earlier life I actually worked at PG&E, and I think way back then hydro played a larger role in their plans. Not sure that hydro is currently high on the list, or if they are just living on past investments that are still paying off.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing