Capital Audio Fest 2019 Show Report by Stereophile

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
https://www.stereophile.com/content...atement-line-and-phono-preamps-von-schweikert

VAC Statement 452iQ power amplifiers and Statement Line and Phono Preamps; Von Schweikert Ultra 11 Loudspeakers, Kronos Pro Turntable and Black Beauty Tonearm, Airtight Opus One Cartridge, Masterbuilt Ultra Cables, and Critical Mass Stands
Herb Reichert | Nov 3, 2019
20191102-VACMALL-600.jpg
Walk through the glass entrance doors, then twenty paces straight ahead, and you find yourself standing at the lip of a dizzying precipice, with a full panoramic view of the Rockville Hilton’s vast LP-filled atrium. To your right is a spectacularly lit glass wall that measures about 25’ high by 75’ wide. Above the glass is a giant banner baring the turquoise Valve Amplification Company’s logo: VAC. Standing in front of the wall are groups of urbane sophisticates: handsome men in suits, beautiful women, bright-eyed children. This envy-inspiring display is assembled by The Audio Company out of Marietta, GA; who describe themselves as “purveyors of hi-end luxury audio.”

The Audio Company’s main brands are VAC, Esoteric, Kronos, and Von Schweikert.

Many years ago, I introduced myself to Albert Von Schweikert, and two years ago I introduced myself to VAC’s Kevin Hayes. These are two smart, erudite men whose products started modestly and have evolved steadily to reach the ultra level they are at now. That is why they have this big room and these big products.
20191102-VACVONSCHW-600.jpg
The $300,000/pair Von Schweikert Ultra 11 loudspeaker system stands very tall and features nine drivers in the front and three more in the back. The back-firing woofers are driven by a couple thousand built-in solid-state watts. The main drivers are bi-amped with two VAC Statement 452iQ stereo-mono power amplifiers that cost $75K each (four total for the system).

The Kronos Pro turntable with Black Beauty tonearm and Ultracap power supply ($51,000) was running an Airtight Opus 1 MC cartridge ($16,000), which drove the VAC Statement phono preamplifier ($80,000) and line amplifier ($80,000). The rack and amp stands were by Critical Mass, and the cables were all Masterbuilt Ultra.

So how did this big system sound? Bigger than any Wilson WAMM or giant Western Electric theatre system I have experienced. The soundstage went from heaven above and around the globe. It was clean and detailed. It was fast and beautifully toned. While I listened, I could not help but wonder: What aspect of speaker design determines the size of performers and instruments? Big horns can make ten-foot-wide guitars; and my little Harbeths make four-foot-high musicians. These Von Schweikets made Stevie Ray Vaughn seem like one of those inflatable figures along the highway. Is proper image size a room-speaker thing? Or a measure of accuracy?

I used to sell million-dollar stereos, and despite what the trolls think, in luxury audio you really do get what you pay for. This system played big, beautiful, and dramatic. It looked super-fantastic. It was designed for an architectural setting that was also big, beautiful, and fantastic. Not my little bunker, therefore.

My plan is to review the smallest Von Schweikert speakers and VAC’s littlest integrated, just to see how these companies do intimate.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
A few years ago in Munich's Audio Fair the room with Von Schweikert Ultra 11 drive by VAC amps was my favourite of the show.
Undoubtly they need a large listening room to sound at their best; at my ears they provided a wide and deep listening window, precise focus, coherence and flow.
A superb system.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
A few years ago in Munich's Audio Fair the room with Von Schweikert Ultra 11 drive by VAC amps was my favourite of the show.
Undoubtly they need a large listening room to sound at their best; at my ears they provided a wide and deep listening window, precise focus, coherence and flow.
A superb system.
Your lucky.I would have loved to hear this system.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am sure they have worldwide delivery. Smile

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing