Cartridge Choice Dilemma

Gsal

Feb 15, 2022
Hello all. First time posting on this forum.
My system consists of a VPI Prime SIgnature with uni-pivot arm, Sound-Smith Paua II cart, Aesthetic Pallene pre-amp/phono amp, Aesthetix Atlas Signature amp and Vandersteen Treo CT's. All Audioquest interconnects and speaker cables.
It has been suggested to me by my very knowledgeable and respected dealer that my Paua is a weak link. He called it dull sounding and suggested a Lyra. The Kleos would be in my price range.
Frankly, I love the sound of my system and highly respect Peter L. but I'm looking for a bit more transparency. Would a move from the Paua to the Lyra Kleos be wise? I'm concerned that I may lose some of the "meat on the bones" if I switch. I've heard from some that the Lyra line can be a bit lean sounding and my system is rather revealing. Having said that, I must admit that my tastes do lean toward the analytical. It's is difficult if not impossible to audition carts in my actual system so I have to make an educated leap of faith.
I'd appreciate any first-hand experience and/or impressions from members with comparable systems.
Thank you.

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
If you love your system but are looking for more transparency I would move further up the Soundsmith line.

A few years ago I bought a Lyra Etna SL in a failed attempt to improve on the Ortofon Anna I was currently using. I have never fought so hard to integrate a phono cartridge into my system! The Lyra carts have a well documented edge, peak- call it what you will- in the highs that you either like or dislike- there seems to be little middle ground in opinions about Lyra. A higher line Soundsmith will certainly get you greater transparency, while retaining the current balance that you love in your system. Lyras, in my experience, are risky to buy blind.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Is the Pallene phono section happy with ~ 0.3mv carts, generally? ( I have heard the Io a few times but not this one ).

WntrMute2

Sep 23, 2010
Royal Oak, Michigan
Hello all. First time posting on this forum.
My system consists of a VPI Prime SIgnature with uni-pivot arm, Sound-Smith Paua II cart, Aesthetic Pallene pre-amp/phono amp, Aesthetix Atlas Signature amp and Vandersteen Treo CT's. All Audioquest interconnects and speaker cables.
It has been suggested to me by my very knowledgeable and respected dealer that my Paua is a weak link. He called it dull sounding and suggested a Lyra. The Kleos would be in my price range.
Frankly, I love the sound of my system and highly respect Peter L. but I'm looking for a bit more transparency. Would a move from the Paua to the Lyra Kleos be wise? I'm concerned that I may lose some of the "meat on the bones" if I switch. I've heard from some that the Lyra line can be a bit lean sounding and my system is rather revealing. Having said that, I must admit that my tastes do lean toward the analytical. It's is difficult if not impossible to audition carts in my actual system so I have to make an educated leap of faith.
I'd appreciate any first-hand experience and/or impressions from members with comparable systems.
Thank you.
I'm guessing your dealer doesn't carry the Soundsmith line of cartridges.
Personally I have a Paua on a Schick 12" tonearm mounted on a rebuilt Thorens TD-124. (I also have a Per Winfield on a VPI TNT) A lot of fine discriminating audio friends have heard the Paua and all seem impressed. A very quiet runner in the groove without hiding the details!. A friend with a Cadenza Black traded his Cadenze in for the Soundsmith Zephyr and has never looked back. I was smacked silly the first time my Paua hit the grooves.
I would suggest contacting Peter at Soundsmith directly and asking for recommendations for something a little more analytical. Consider the rebuild value as well. Try getting the Lyra rebuilt in a reasonable time frame and at what cost?
Lastly, are you confident in your cartridge loading? Peter claims that getting the correct reflected load of 470? is crucial. The usual 47K? internal load resistor of a MM phono-stage running via a 1:10 SUT is correct but not all phono-stages have the same SUT, some have a head-amp instead. Just something to consider.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing