Cartridge screws, nuts and washers

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I have a linear tonearm on my Pioneer PL-L1000 which is supposed to come with a small and large counterweight.

I only have the large heavy weight.

The first cartridge I tried was only 1-gram above minimum weight and had the large counterweight squeezing the base. Not to my liking.

My second cartridge on hand is only 1.5 grams heavier and is working out better.

I'm waiting for a stylus gauge to arrive in the mail, want to do this right on the 3rd time around.

1. There are no washers on my headshell.

2. I like the sound of brass/bronze in my system.

Question is do I buy the whole variety pack from Soundsmith when I'm pretty sure the heavier brass is all I need?

https://www.sound-smith.com/accessories/ez-mount-cartridge-screws

What of washers?

Nylon, soft metal or nothing at all?

Do cartridge screws, nuts and washers make a difference that one can hear?

I would not even know what to order from Mapleshade, and $100 is even tougher to swallow than $40.

Maybe I will go to my local hardware store and just pick up some brass metric screws.

I do not need nuts with my Grado Sonta cartridge, but I assume one would want to match brass with brass, and stainless steel with stainless steel, right?

The Grado looks to have female brass holes in it. I gotta get those stainless steel screws/bolts out of there.

Weird things can happen when dissimilar metals are in contact.

At least in architecture when rain water is introduced.

I'm thinking long term moisture in the air being a problem.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing