Cartridge Screws

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Based on AES, Silver can carry more information (+6%) than purest copper.
Prejudice/opinion is a close partner in High End business. I prefer facts.

Bullcrap! How do you measure that +6% of information and what kind of information is it? This comment is based on testing which type of copper & silver wires? Do you have your facts on this?

Silver wire has a type of sound and coloration and that's a fact otherwise you wouldn't hear a difference between it and copper wires, of course the preference for one or the other is personal.

david

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K and Lagonda

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

jdza

May 3, 2010
Well my quest for titanium bolts commences. I forgot my Yamamoto headshell is titanium... View attachment 50708

Yamamoto makes titanium bolts too.

Product Details

Name
Yamamoto Sound Craft Original Bolt Screws & Nuts Set
BrandYamamoto Sound Craft Corp. Japan
Model No.BT-1
ConditionBrand New ( Unopened / Unused / Undamaged )
MaterialScrew: Titanium / Nut: Gold Plated Brass
Sizes/WeightBolt (Screw)
6 mm x 2pcs
8 mm x 2 pcs
12 mm x 2 pcs
15 mm x 2 pcs

Nut
4mm x 2 pcs

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Bullcrap! How do you measure that +6% of information and what kind of information is it? This comment is based on testing which type of copper & silver wires? Do you have your facts on this?

Silver wire has a type of sound and coloration and that's a fact otherwise you wouldn't hear a difference between it and copper wires, of course the preference for one or the other is personal.

david

Don't hyper. The difference in Conductivity is even higher.
NASA science?
No
Physics at school?
Probably. When you did a listen to the teacher instead of sleeping.
Facts?
Yes, unfortunately.
Can everyone hear that?
Hard to say. Opinion is nice. But it is like a fart in the wind. Facts stay longer
Some time ago a lot of people had the opinion, the Earth is flat. This thinking survived. Not generally, but in Analog Playback there is a Fan Group growing...

Physic doesn't agree with Karmeli ..... sorry.

The Naked Truth - 1.jpg

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Don't hyper. The difference in Conductivity is even higher.
NASA science?
No
Physics at school?
Probably. When you did a listen to the teacher instead of sleeping.
Facts?
Yes, unfortunately.
Can everyone hear that?
Hard to say. Opinion is nice. But it is like a fart in the wind. Facts stay longer
Some time ago a lot of people had the opinion, the Earth is flat. This thinking survived. Not generally, but in Analog Playback there is a Fan Group growing...

Physic doesn't agree with Karmeli ..... sorry.

View attachment 50736

You're deflecting with this chart it shows resistive and conductive qualities of different metals, that's all it has nothing to do with your claim about transmission of information. Since you're so full of science and physics show us the data that proves your claim of loss of sonic information using copper conductors vs silver ones, and specifically what is the sonic information that's lost and at which frequencies. For example on a high quality piano recording show me the data that proves I'm losing sonic information of 6-7% and exactly what part of that piano recording one loses using sliver cartridge leads vs copper ones. Then we can discuss flatulence and fuzzy science Mr. Syntax.

david

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Yamamoto makes titanium bolts too.

Product Details

NameYamamoto Sound Craft Original Bolt Screws & Nuts Set
BrandYamamoto Sound Craft Corp. Japan
Model No.BT-1
ConditionBrand New ( Unopened / Unused / Undamaged )
MaterialScrew: Titanium / Nut: Gold Plated Brass
Sizes/WeightBolt (Screw)
6 mm x 2pcs
8 mm x 2 pcs
12 mm x 2 pcs
15 mm x 2 pcs

Nut
4mm x 2 pcs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAMOTO-S...351864?hash=item2f29005a38:g:DrAAAOSwyUFcJ9Sx

Indeed ! Thanks. I think all the same material makes sense for headshell/cart bolts. In this case titanium headshell, bolts and cart body (Lyra Olympos).

Reactions: NorthStar

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I used Titanium screws simply to achieve the lowest possible effective mass as my particular tonearm/cart combo leans to the slightly heavy side in terms of ideal resonance when you do the math. I've never thought to audibly compare different screws, let alone different screw torque settings! But it does intuitively seem that damping would be in play here.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Based on AES, Silver can carry more information (+6%) than purest copper.

Say what? Who the hell says that and in what context

Reactions: ddk

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Interesting; cartridge screws...material, weight, combination with the cart and lead wires (copper or silver).

Screws: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/cartridge-headshell-screws

Me I have zero screw clue as what's best. But some folks hear a difference in sound from scews of different material (aluminum, brass, titanium, stainless steel, gold, ...).

If I was searching for the Holy Grail in cartridge screws I would be reading this thread right here @ WBF to make sure that I'm on the right trail. :)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
A more interesting question imo is *why* silver is sometimes not better than copper for sound quality given that it is the better conductor....

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
A more interesting question imo is *why* silver is sometimes not better than copper for sound quality given that it is the better conductor....

Maybe it depends on where we live? Post #42 has a great link in it.
I don't know how important is the specific topic of this thread...cartridge headshell screws.
We don't see that many posts with silver and gold screws.

I'm all for learning, and I'm from the school of respecting everyone's wishes within the compound of related discussion; the effects of screws on the cartridge, and also the lead wires between the cartridge and tonearm.

In respect everyone's wishes. I fear to talk about silver wires versus copper wires between the cart and tonearm. If it was only me I wouldn't fear.

With that said, I believe in experimentation and in scientific facts; a combination of both.
Yes silver is the best conductor, then copper and then gold.
Copper can oxidize as silver does.

In one of the previous posts there's a picture of a nice cartridge with silver leads.
Silver gives tiny more extended highs. Some say even bright. Best, IMO, are people who experimented with both copper and silver cart leads, connectors @ both ends and the tiny short wires. Some carts have silver pins, some tonearms have silver pins. I'm all for silver leads between them.

The tiny audio differences perceived by our ears would subjectively influence our preference one way or another, considering a sufficient amount of time for adaptation.
It is that experiment with adaptation we rely best among ourselves.

We are minute intricately dedicated to our audio hobby, music reproduction @ its very best.
Everything is important. I'm wide open in learning about everything that's important, including cart screws and lead wires...from pure titanium/aluminum to pure silver/copper. ...And beyond.

Music matters, sound matters, air matters, water matters, life and death matter.

I also believe that extended highs can sometime give the impression of lesser bass; that makes sense to me, to my ears.

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
It wasn't my intention to confuse someone or - even worse - to offend someone. I was guided from Graham Arms for example, when I remember right, he uses - or used? - silver wire inside, or Kuzma, which can be ordered with silver wire inside (or 'Gold/silver) or other products which even use silver inside directly to the binding posts or RCA Plugs.
Kuzma Reviewer for example, opinion about: ... the new 4Point with Kondo wire sounded with a bit less grain and edge for a more lifelike, less mechanical sound. Slightly richer tonality and more authentic articulation offered improved differentiation among musicians and instruments according to the record at play. These differences did not jump out at me by calling attention to themselves, my ears simply accepted them as natural.

But it is good to know that Experts here know it better. It has to be a distortion. Bad, very bad for the ears.
Here are a lot of Manufacturers, Distributors, Dealers....please warn everybody (Kondo for example, or Audio Note) that they produce distortion units. And they should save money and avoid this audible Low End for High End pricing. Don't forget to warn reviewers, too.
Personally I am wondering, that no one wrote about that sonic poison when someone here showed proudly his latest unit equipped with "that" in the signal path. But now, we know better.
Tell every Manufacturer, Distributor, Dealer AND Customer he should avoid that. It is bad. And when you know someone from Telecommunication who works on super sensitive low Signal amplification, tell him/them that their silver connectors are wrong, they will distort the signal at the end ... Fake Facts.They will be glad to know, I am sure.
And when they ask, from whom you know that, say, from Mr. Karmeli.

I'm young, I learned. Thank you.

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Nah, it's just that you said "6% more information" when you meant "6% more conductive". We're not receiving 15 bits out of every 16 bits transmitted over a silver digital coax cable, for example. :)

MollySanchez

Apr 22, 2023
Hey there, just stumbled upon this post, and I gotta say, it’s lit! I totally feel you on wanting that superior analog playback experience. But I totally get what you mean about that subtle softness and limited soundstage. It’s like, you want to hear every little nuance and have the music just transport you to another dimension. And that’s where those cartridge screws come in clutch. I haven’t personally tried the titanium ones you mentioned, but I’m all about upgrading those fasteners to get the most out of my setup. Anyways, just wanted to drop in and say thanks for the tip on those titanium cartridge screws. Definitely gonna have to check those out. And sorry if I’m replying to an old post, I’m new here and just trying to soak up all the knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johan K

stirlingtrayle

For you guys wanting to experiment with different materials but are concerned about using stainless steel for magnetic proximity reasons, A2 stainless steel is austenitic (non-magnetic). A4 stainless is supposed to be austenitic as well, but my experience has been that most of the A4 stainless screws I have purchased react to a magnet. That hasn’t been the case with the A2 screws I’ve purchased. Note, I’m NOT doing any sort of elaborate or scientific test, just passing a magnet by the screw to see if it reacts. Pretty meaningless information in all but the most “special” of circumstances… :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing