Cartridge Standards

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I have not measured it, but suspect Grado wood bodied cartridges are just over 1mm too tall to get proper VTA on the kind of tonearms that come with a table and have no VTA adjustment.

What I mean is my old Dual always had my Grado Sonata almost but not quite parallel to the record, sort of heeling it.

Now on my Pioneer PL-L1000 the same thing. I had to take a small crow bar and lift up on part of the linear tonearm to get maximum height while using my free hand to tighten the height screw.

Oh, and I've read one should contact Grado should they ever misplace the screws that go with it, because those are a bastard size too.

Do I ask too much that there be some kind of standards?

On a positive note, surface noise has dropped to near zero and other gains across the board now that it's true parallel to the surface.

It should not be that hard, just saying.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing