cartridge that minimzes clicks/pops/surface noise

magical_mouse

Nov 14, 2022
Hi, i have a nagaoka mp200 and denon dl110, the mp200 tends to accentuate noise/pops etc. and also seems to attract static but is otherwise a very musical cartridge

Are there any other cartridges which are especially good with this issue, i do not want to spend more than (say) £400. I have been recommended the audio-technica VM95SH but i have read it is bright?

Any ideas would be welcome

d

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Increasing noise and clicks may be related with cartridge’s static behavior but also may be due to worn out stylus. A worn out stylus known for bottoming in the groove and increasing noise.

I recommend you to try AT-VM95C if you find the shibata tip version bright. It’s a very cheap cartridge but punches above it’s weight.

wart

Sep 28, 2021
Mp200 has 0.4 × 0.7mil Ellipse diamond. It's not tiny one so should cope with clics/pops quite the same as Denon DL110. Maybe not as good but close to it. Do you clean diamond of the stylus from time to time?

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
2M Bronze

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
I’ve not used an MM cartridge with a fine line stylus but of the MC I have those with Replicant 100 and Gyger S styli seem to make much less of clicks and pops than the micro ridge and Ogura PA styli which have a smaller major radius. The Goldring 1042 is the only MM I know of to carry the Gyger S profile but I suspect it will be over bedget and I’ve not actually used one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing