Cary V-12r

Adagio

Jun 8, 2019
Hello! This is my first post on this forum, I’ve been reading on this forum from time to time, but haven’t joined the forum until now.
I have a question concerning my V-12r amp. I now use Magnepan 3.7 paired with two REL T7i, and for many years but have now ordered the new Avantgarde Acoustic UNO fino edition. The 50W Triode May perhaps be a little to much or at least unnecessary. It came to my mind that I’ve read somewhere that u can drive the V-12r with fewer tubes? Since the amp is a PP construction, a kind of four “separate” amps in one box with 3 tubes per unit. So I’ve read somewhere that I can use either just 1 pair/ section or two pairs, or the original 3 pairs, this will render approximately 16,66W with 1 pair, 33,33W with 2 pairs and finally 50w with the 3 pairs.
Does it matter which sockets I use? I have a schedule from the original owner who had received it from Mark Auble which tubes that are each other’s PP socket.
The transformers are design for 6 el34 or KT66, KT77, KT88, KT1/90/100, 6550 but can also use 6L6and 6V6 with fewer watts as a result.
If I use just one pair can I use KT120 or KT150? Can the transformers take that heat?
If this is true it opens up a great world of experimenting when my new AAs arrives.
Any thoughts or experiences about this?

Adagio

Jun 8, 2019
I’ve been in contact with Cary but since due to retirements they have no tech guy that could answer my questions, Steve said that he would try to get hold of someone who could, but I’m to curious to just sit around and wait for a answer.
It was one weeks ago.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello! This is my first post on this forum, I’ve been reading on this forum from time to time, but haven’t joined the forum until now.
I have a question concerning my V-12r amp. I now use Magnepan 3.7 paired with two REL T7i, and for many years but have now ordered the new Avantgarde Acoustic UNO fino edition. The 50W Triode May perhaps be a little to much or at least unnecessary. It came to my mind that I’ve read somewhere that u can drive the V-12r with fewer tubes? Since the amp is a PP construction, a kind of four “separate” amps in one box with 3 tubes per unit. So I’ve read somewhere that I can use either just 1 pair/ section or two pairs, or the original 3 pairs, this will render approximately 16,66W with 1 pair, 33,33W with 2 pairs and finally 50w with the 3 pairs.
Does it matter which sockets I use? I have a schedule from the original owner who had received it from Mark Auble which tubes that are each other’s PP socket.
The transformers are design for 6 el34 or KT66, KT77, KT88, KT1/90/100, 6550 but can also use 6L6and 6V6 with fewer watts as a result.
If I use just one pair can I use KT120 or KT150? Can the transformers take that heat?
If this is true it opens up a great world of experimenting when my new AAs arrives.
Any thoughts or experiences about this?
The old stereophile review doesn’t say anything? That said 50 watt triode with that speaker will be fine if the amp is quiet enough...could sound really excellent.

Reactions: Adagio

Adagio

Jun 8, 2019
The old stereophile review doesn’t say anything? That said 50 watt triode with that speaker will be fine if the amp is quiet enough...could sound really excellent.
We will see, or actually hear.
I use KT77 gold lion, 3 sets of matched quartets, would be nice to save the costs..... and the fewer different tubes the better sound some say.

MPS

Jun 20, 2016
Finland
Just hold on until you get your speakers and then go ahead and try how the Cary performs and if necessary or just out of interest try other available amps. High impedance high efficiency horn speakers are not like average load most amps are designed to work with and experimenting with various makes and models will produce very varying and somewhat surprising results. I personally prefer tubes but many amps will just be too noisy, 16 ohms output will most likely be best option if available. Avantgarde XA Interated is good match also, something to consider.

Reactions: Adagio

Adagio

Jun 8, 2019
Got the answer today!!
Yes I can use both 4, 8 or 12 tubes!
And use up to 4 KT150 if that would be the tube of choice.
AFEA5C0F-548D-42AE-B4B7-482F39280C8A.png

Adagio

Jun 8, 2019
This is a part of Dans answer if anyone else is interested.
So if running four tubes you would need to fill T3, T4, T9 and T10. And yes you can use KT-150's if using only four. If running eight tubes you would need tubes in T2, T3, T4, T5 and T8, T9, T10, T11. You should be able to run eight KT-150's but not 12.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing