CAT & Wilson XVX

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have read the review , good story .

Im not a power cord guy but i might give these a try :

Stevens is also picky about the power cords used with his products, less, in terms of filtering, being more. Essential Sound Products power cords are his default

And also the fact that ken uses KT 120 s , basically because svetlana stopped manufacturing 6550 s :

For Stevens, the change in output tube was necessary: his source of 6550s dried up when the Svetlana factory closed, so the KT120 it was

:)
If you're ever talking to Ken, on the phone or at a show, and want to wind him up, just ask this question: "Is your amplifier [or preamplifier] a synergistic match for my preamplifier [or amplifier]?" Ken will expound, loudly, on the misguidedness of "synergizing," the mixing and matching of sonic signatures, for as long as you can stand it.

Ps this sums about up my feeling about CAT Amps as well .

The CAT JL5 Limited Edition brings together tremendous drive with transparency and, for lack of a better term, humanness

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
CAT & Wilson XVX Review

CAT will be at Capitol Audio Fest

Thanks for pointing. Nice to read, although I would like to have more detail on the sound quality. and IMHO such system really asked for the dCS Vivaldi, not just the Rossini. :cool:

An important data point for tube amplifiers lovers is knowing that an amplifier with a damping factor around 10 is compatible with the Wilson Audio XVX.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats, Andromeda! That is great news...when does it arrive? Look forward to reading all about it. Surely a legendary piece of equipment.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Congrats, Andromeda! That is great news...when does it arrive? Look forward to reading all about it. Surely a legendary piece of equipment.
I ll go to the office tomorrow and see the planning i ll either pick it up before the 9 th of november or at the end of november due to work .
I have had the previous one for 11 years so it better be good , otherwise i ll buy the old one straight back ;)

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
It has teflon circuit boards for a large part .
The print lay out is different it looks like another circuit then my previous model
It also has a very nice volume control .

Im quite exited , but for years im very happy with my sound , so im more afraid of losing anything then gaining which seems quit hard to me .
The last show visit confirmed to me that " i miss nothing "

Ps Ken stevens seemed to be more or less forced to use KT 120 s , so my JL 2 sign definitively will get 6550 s tubes in the future .
I can always buy a CAT JL 5 on the side with KT120 s and compare

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thanks , sold to the highest bidder that happened to be.... me :)
Picking it up in germany tomorrow afternoon 3077664035_2_g.jpg

Reactions: RussR

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! Look forward to reading more when you have it back in the system!

Reactions: andromedaaudio

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Looks great! More importantly, how does it sound?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
FWIW after 4 hours listening and a night on the " Juice "

It sounds like" teflon " a bit slicker or may be thats imagination.
A little less pronounced bass then the old one , but i assume its better integrated in the whole picture, hard to say after this short time
Definetively more detail is flowing through , i ve been only listening( Old school levinson ) digital so far , no tape .
But i have a organ recording on which i can now much better hear the recording hiss and recorded sounds in the back ground .
But both pre s sound like music not hifi , "human like" as M mickaelson states it .
My best spatial music CD is Tiesto In my memory , first song of the album .
The new legend makes it sound slightly more spacial with as said before more detail and may be also a purer tone .
I was at the dutch audio show which left me kinda unimpressed
Im gonna go to munchen as well in may and if i dont hear any good solid state , the JL2 s are gonna go as well for either Teflon boarded JL 5 s or JL 7 s with amourphous core transformers / black path caps

20211106_103534.jpg 20211106_111819.jpg

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have solved the bass issue , apparently i was playing with closed speakers which i forgot , i have put the bass pipes in( halves ) and the extension is there .
Listening a bit more and on high rez recordings there is a distinct difference .
To speak in audiophile terms , better outlined / defined images / more detail
A more distinct believable sound but only on good recordings , average recordings sound just as on the old one .
This is a very good dynamic drum recording with which you can almost pick out the drums being played in front of you , it presents a more believable reproduction then the old one , more refined .
So the progress is there , i m almost sold on JL 5 s / :) JL 7 s
Ps it off course has the obvious CAT dynamics / control CD .gif

Last edited:
Reactions: dan31

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing