Center Stage2 "LS" Series Loudspeaker Feet

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
dts-99

This is a good question. Unfortunately, the answer is no, the Ultra TT is designed for electronic components. They do not replace the LS series, which is very much available. Thank you for asking. I hope you move forward with the LS 1.5s. You will never regret having them in your system. They are the gateway to a much better understanding of what is possible in high end audio.

All the Best

Joe
Hi Joe,

You replied that the Ultra TT was not good for loudspeakers but in the Ultra TT thread recently, you are now saying that Ultra TT are good for speakers as well? That is good news.

Can I assume that the performance of the Ultra TT be the same as the LS 0.8 under the speakers based on the physical size of the two models? I have a pair of the ATC active 100 speakers as well which is 150 lbs. each, should I still be better off getting the LS 1.0 or the LS 1.5? Thanks for your time.

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
Hi Joe,

You replied that the Ultra TT was not good for loudspeakers but in the Ultra TT thread recently, you are now saying that Ultra TT are good for speakers as well? That is good news.

Can I assume that the performance of the Ultra TT be the same as the LS 0.8 under the speakers based on the physical size of the two models? I have a pair of the ATC active 100 speakers as well which is 150 lbs. each, should I still be better off getting the LS 1.0 or the LS 1.5? Thanks for your time.
Well, I thought it could be a possibility. I view my responsibility in these threads as a conduit of information and advice. There are many choices, but perhaps there is a "best choice". In the case of the ATC Active 100, I think the best choice is the new replacement for the LS 0.8. The reason is pretty easy to understand. I'll reprint what I wrote in the other thread regarding the new foot:

Remember that traces and wiring in the amps and crossovers are generally silver and/or copper. These metals are crystalline structures at the molecular level. Subjecting these crystalline structures to vibration, at the atomic level, causes the positive ions of the crystals to vibrate and interfere with the “drift” motion of the valence electrons passing through the traces and wires thus causing an increase in temperature. Increases in temperature beyond the optimal performance design of a circuit cause an increase in resistance in the circuit. Entropy caused by increased resistance throughout the crossover and amplifier degrades the efficiency of the circuit; the heat created by excess vibration causes the wiring and traces to function as resistors between the resistors and capacitors. And the resistors and capacitors malfunction for the same reason; producing haze and distortion. This anomaly would also be present in the wiring leading to the drivers. Our feet are designed to evacuate heat and vibration from the loudspeaker.

The new foot does an absolutely excellent job at reducing distortion and a host of other anomalies in loudspeakers, so much so that you would be bolted to your listening chair with them installed. The results are beyond anything the Ultra TTs can do in your application. Loudspeakers are "rough and tumble" compared to resonances in turntables and you have the added wrinkle of an onboard amp to deal with. You have many choices in high end audio, some far better than others. This is what you want. Honestly.

Reactions: delphi17

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Remember that traces and wiring in the amps and crossovers are generally silver and/or copper. These metals are crystalline structures at the molecular level. Subjecting these crystalline structures to vibration, at the atomic level, causes the positive ions of the crystals to vibrate and interfere with the “drift” motion of the valence electrons passing through the traces and wires thus causing an increase in temperature.
Yes, I understand this.

By how many degrees Fahrenheit does this vibration increase the temperature of the traces, wires and solder connections?

Increases in temperature beyond the optimal performance design of a circuit cause an increase in resistance in the circuit.
What increase in resistance in ohms through the traces and the wiring is occasioned by the increase in temperature?

Entropy caused by increased resistance throughout the crossover and amplifier degrades the efficiency of the circuit
We are talking basic electrical stuff here: temperature, resistance, wire, circuit board traces. How does entropy add anything material to this electrical discussion?

the heat created by excess vibration causes the wiring and traces to function as resistors between the resistors and capacitors.
Again, I'm curious about the resistance in ohms you are referring to here.

And the resistors and capacitors malfunction for the same reason; producing haze and distortion. This anomaly would also be present in the wiring leading to the drivers. Our feet are designed to evacuate heat and vibration from the loudspeaker.
How do your feet reduce the temperature of the traces and the wiring which was raised due to vibration?

Last edited:

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
Yes, I understand this.

By how many degrees Fahrenheit does this vibration increase the temperature of the traces, wires and solder connections?

What increase in resistance in ohms through the traces and the wiring is occasioned by the increase in temperature?

We are talking basic electrical stuff here: temperature, resistance, wire, circuit board traces. How does entropy add anything material to this electrical discussion?

Again, I'm curious about the resistance in ohms you are referring to here.

How do your feet reduce the temperature of the traces and the wiring which was raised due to vibration?
Ron

Thank you for your question. Respectfully.........

You appear to be expressing “vibration” as a largescale, expansive energy force applied in a hammer-like way to an electrical signal, so much so that it would make a meter jump. This is not the issue. Here is the issue. During the course of a recent discussion with a highly accomplished engineer in our industry, we discussed the intersection of our labors to reduce noise floor in his components. I provide the feet he uses with his products. His efforts are electrical whereas mine are mechanical. His persistent question remains, what is the exact mechanism, and/or where is the exact entry point, we can definitively point to where vibration enters a circuit and degradation begins. On the electrical end of the question, he has lowered the noise floor in his circuitry to the point where he can no longer obtain a measurement of any noise. This is not to say that noise does not exist, he just can’t quantify it. This is because the noise floor of the analyzer is higher than the noise floor of the circuit being measured. How can this be? This is how far the science of our industry has progressed. Upon deeper consideration, one must consider that electricity is a dimensionless form of energy running through materials that possess dimension and mass. Mass and dimension are the core requisites for vibration to transmit. When mechanical energy, vibration, is applied to a circuit with this degree of sensitivity, any change to the drift motion of the valence electrons caused by erratic movements of positive ions in the crystalline structures of the dimensional materials through which the signal is moving degrades the signal. Another way of explaining this point might be to ask, how much vibration is required to degrade the performance of an electron microscope. The answer is, any. Now, these are apples and oranges technologies, but at the same time, their optimal performance depends upon an undisturbed flow of electrons. So, please forgive me for saying this, the questions you ask basic as you described them, are not germane right here.

With respect to entropy relative to the problem described, one might better ask is entropy the result or the cause of the problem? The answer is at first a result and, later, potentially a further cause. Entropy is produced by real, non-ideal processes. Because entropy can be transferred into and/or out of a system, entropy can be a result of and a furtherance of signal degradation. This is why electrical signal paths benefit from transferring entropy out of the system.

The answer to your last question is, one the materials we use conducts heat into the outer shell of the foot.

I hope I have been helpful.

All the Best,

Joe

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

• Wow
Reactions: rob

DarrellC

Dec 15, 2019
I'm a long time member here, although I post infrequently. I use CMS footers of various types under the majority of my components, with good and positive results. So I reached out to Steve Williams and Joe Lavrencik about the Ultra LS-2.25 speaker footers. I have been living with them about 3 weeks or so on Audiovector R8 speakers and they have made a noticeable difference. I find the speakers excellent in balance and presentation, but with the footers vs the supplied spikes things improved more but these points are most noticeable. The first is the bass is tighter, clearer and truer. Secondly, there seems to be more space or separation in the overall presentation. the last comment I would make, which is really a summation of the first 2 point, is the the overall effect is more "lifelike", as in relaxed and clear, and not strident all all. I know every good system is built on synergy, and the LS 2.25's added much of that into mine. Nice job Joe.

Reactions: scottrogers

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
I think many CMS customers would like to know how is this new model compare to the original LS 0.8, LS 1.0 and LS 1.5.

Will this new model need a cup holder or something like that to prevent the speakers from sliding around as it seems to have a round bottom?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing