Central Park Five-Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
yet one more riveting story of wrongful conviction and coerced confessions about a NYC Central Park rape of a white woman by 5 accused young African American boys who were finally exonerated and released from prison

Another must see Docudrama

When They See Us | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It is so sad what happened to that young woman on the evening of April 19, 1989 in Central Park, New York City.

It is quite a complex story; I'm just @ the beginning. Mistakes were certainly made, justice wasn't served the way it should have been, rules were not followed as they are written in the books of law and justice.

They were awarded $41 million years later, but that money will never buy the freedom they took away from them.

And this not even over yet. There are many players involved and many opinions by all the players. There is the system of our laws and processes, and there is the other side.
If we go with the system it failed everyone. If we go with the other side it also failed everyone.
It's a complex issue, a social one, a law and order one, ...and much much more.

Like I said I'm only @ the beginning, but I'm fully investigated in it, as I am in many other stuff of real life. ...With an eye wide open on the balance of TV show productions, what they write on the Internet, the less than trusty sources, the wiki links, the everything needed to assess fairly.
Short of having witnessed the crime first hand I can only imagine ...

But there are facts, and those facts are what we base our ways of living, many of us but not everyone ... It's the facts that count @ the end, everything else is just air.

Should have they been incarcerated for that crime? No.
But it's complex in real life beyond justice and above.

I need much more time in this case.

That's cool Steve you brought it here. It's not for everyone, but for you and I it is @ least.

Steve Williams

I'm shocked that no one has watched or commented on this series.

More riveting drama of coerced confessions and an overzealous prosecutor. It's difficult for me to comprehend that it is well within the law that interrogating police officers can lie and cajole to these underage kids until they broke them and obtained confessions and the irony was the kids didn't know one another.Each one said someone else did it and yet they prosecuted and convicted these kids

The prosecuting DA has recently been run off all online social media

The is a must watch. The irony of it all was that these kids all came from good homes with loving, caring parents and some had high IQ's yet they were broken by the interrogating detectives alone and without an attorney present. They even said the kids waived their Miranda rights even though some were underage

And Bob, before you take the thread off topic with your proclamations I suggest you watch the miniseries and let's discuss the series not your philosophy of our legal system

Let's stay on topic :)

Steve Williams

Careful....this thread could devolve into politics quickly.

Hence my admonitions

The case is getting a lot of press and it is clearly justice not served.

All comments should be reserved for the miniseries and nothing else

Reactions: jeff1225

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Weren't they "wilding" that night, despite not committing the crime they were accused of?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've been fascinated to read Ann Coulter's take on this case. Let's put it this way, she ain't no fan of these boys.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well if they were "wilding" they were going around the park beating the shit out of people for fun...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Careful....this thread could devolve into politics quickly.

Yes. I was going to reference another famous and recent case about a number of boys wrongly accused of an horrific crime against a woman. I hesitated because the races were reversed and I worried the post would have been criticized or even deleted as being too "politically charged." I'm glad I did not post a few days ago as I had originally intended because I now know I would have been told it was off topic and worse.

I read Ann Coulter's thoughts on this. Thanks Marc. All I can say is that it certainly appears to be a complicated case and there are many opinions. I lived in NYC at the time and remember the reports well. A close friend at the time told me she had been raped not far from there in front of her apartment building. Two other friends were beaten and robbed at gun point in Central Park about the same time. The city was a mess back then.

I may watch Steve's link to see if the presentation seems unbiased. I think it is understandable that this is not a popular topic to discuss on this forum.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I just read it, too. Yes this certainly is going political. Let them out and award them money? Do we live in Canada now? WTF is going on? Again as far as I know they were "wilding" that night, so regardless of how the famous event went down, they're all scum that went around beating the shit out of people for fun, as a regular activity in the park.

Steve Williams

Hi Peter

I hope it won't get political as it's usually the ones who says it's going to become political are the ones who do such.

Hopefully we can have an intelligent and adult conversation about what happened and keep politics out of it

I have no idea what inaccuracies lie within this miniseries but as I've said before almost all biopics take liberties with the facts

It's all up to us as to efficacy but please let's keep it civil and folsom your comments are understandable but the manner in which you stated them are so broad and so sweeping that they often spark a fire

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Trump may come and go. Well certainly by 2025 at the latest. Brexit may happen, and we'll adjust. But the PCification of Western society is here to stay.

Now the perps are the victims. How crazy is that?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
https://variety.com/2019/scene/news...ee-us-cast-exonderated-five-fysee-1203237647/

"Both of the evening’s conversations will premiere on Netflix and OWN on Wednesday, June 12 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. “When They See Us” is currently streaming on Netflix."

Oprah did similar with Neverland.
Both When they See us and Chernobyl are best TV watching of the moment.
That's what everyone's talking about in America.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/when-they-see-us-duvernay-1.5168579

That's very good; I'm not a TV guy, I'm more an audio guy, and some films and documentaries too...all that is good food for the brain, and entertaining for the senses.

Anyway, June 12 is that interview for the ones interested, including I.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Everyone has their 5 mins of fame...
A sucker born every minute...
Me Me Me...
Life is too short to watch the story of these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing