CES 2019

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
2019 is the year of 8K TVs, Rollable OLED TVs, Faster Response Time, Higher Refresh Rates, HDMI 2.1

_____

? A brief explanation between three leading technologies: QLED, OLED & MicroLED.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Classe are debuting their new Delta Series amps alongside Magico S5 Mk2 speakers in Room 29-140. I might be a bit biased, but that should be a great sounding room :cool:.

49855645_1958727474174365_5353975694252572672_n.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I like that lighter color (Pearl White M-Coat) ; looks more elegant, less 'dark force' than black/grey.
_____

2019 is the year of 8K and rollable OLED TV Screens.
It is also the year of wireless turntables it seems ...

Cambridge:
https://gearpatrol.com/2019/01/09/cambridge-audio-alva-tt-turntable/

Sony:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...duces-a-wireless-turntable-for-vinyl-records/

House of Marley Stir It Up:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/house-of-marley-wireless-turntable-ces-2019/
* Review: https://www.digitaltrends.com/gadget-reviews/house-of-marley-stir-it-up-turntable-review/#/1

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodhi

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
CES 2019 showed some innovative audio products, like the three wireless analog turntables above, and this:

A mini 3-inch turntable ^ just click on the cappuccino above for a taste.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The thing I am looking forward to is eARC tech becoming standard this year. I see upgrading TVs to be utterly pointless until then, and I am ready for one.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Not sure if already mentioned: Technics 1200/12010 mk VII

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
New 2019 design?

Yes a new version made again out of Malaysia. Cheaper than the recently released audiophile version 1200G(r) and aimed at DJ market.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I dunno. It's higher bandwidth and gets rid of CEC malfunctions.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I just checked; eARC stands for enhanced Audio Return Channel.
It's the latest, and the best.
? https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

20190112_125537.jpg

Enhanced Audio Return Channel (also known as eARC) is the next generation of ARC. It’s a feature being implemented in the upcoming HDMI 2.1 specification.

Is eARC backwards compatible with ARC?

"If your TV is HDMI eARC enabled, but your AV amp or soundbar is only compatible with HDMI ARC, it’s likely you’ll get a sound - but the bandwidth restrictions of ARC will mean you won’t be able to experience the high bitrate audio that eARC can provide. So no, it's not backwards-compatible.

Some AV receivers and soundbars that don’t have HDMI 2.1 chipsets can be upgraded to support eARC, but it varies between manufacturers and models. It depends if they are using compatible hardware that can accept the necessary firmware update.

Time will tell how well integrated eARC will be, but we're hoping adoption becomes as ubiquitous as HDMI ARC seems to be now."

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
And the CEC feature in our audio/video products:
? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control

I never used that feature myself because it has been problematic since the very beginning of its introduction and to the present day. It is best to program ypur own universal remote control for all your devices and activities operations (eg.; Harmony), so that you have s much solider interface between all your components.

True, you need your computer and the time to program it all, but it beats CEC hundred miles per hour plus. It's better to take charge ourselves and be in control of our gear communicating to each other in perfect synch and harmony than all the flaws from CEC.
CEC, in one word is a nightmare.

True too, many people don't have the time and patience to do all the programming when they have several audio/video components in their system(s). ...Like me with (@ this moment in my main system) eight devices and ten different programmed activities. To perfectly custom all those activities takes time, a lot of time, and experimentation...trials and errors and corrections and delay values between some operations.
But when all finished only the press of a single button does everything in sync between say four devices from turning them on, adjusting the volume, selecting the proper audio, HDMI input, etc., etc., etc. No more nightmares from CEC and only one remote to rule them all (illuminated).

* I visit friends and family members where four or six remote controls cluster their tables.
It's a pain in the brain.
But they are not the type to take the time once and for all, so each time they want to perform a task of watching TV, listening to music, selecting the proper input on the receiver and TV, satellite cable box TV, powering the movie player/PC-Mac movie/music server, dropping the needle ( ;-) ) ... they need to use few remotes. No thank you very much, not for Bob. Life is enough complicated already to not complicate my entertainment on top of it.
[I want a smart car or a private chauffeur.]

And before I buy an 8K TV I'll wait for the next 3D one in 4K. Lol, I might wait a while.

ARC is more or less a moving target. For some it works, and for ...
It's much simpler than CEC though; if you introduit CEC in the ARC equation, everything goes...snowflakes from heaven or hell..for many it's hell.

eARC (new HDMI 2.1) has much more advanced features, but we are not there yet, not enough penetration as it is just starting.

We have been living with HDMI for many many years now, and it is still a problem between different manufacturers to handshake friendly. CEC is even more uncooperative.
ARC I don't use it either, but I know many who can benefit from it, same for CEC.

I'm looking forward to rollable OLED 4K TVs. They look stylish for modern people like me. :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing