CH Precision D1

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Tunes (I think) at Audioshark.org just did and loves it! Check out the thread there.

Audiophilelp

Jul 19, 2013
Also ask thf99 who likes his as well. I use 2 x X1's for a C1 and D1 and find that they make a tremendous difference in terms of weight and fluidity. The differences are not subtle. Here's a review on Positive Feedback praising the X1: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue74/ch_precision.htm

Thanks redsquare! I had an audition yesterday , comparing the performance of c1 with and without X1. I pay immediately and take x1 home. That's all!!

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Is it worthwhile to add a X1 to C1? It seems there are supporters while some(including TAS) do not. X1 is not cheap as well. Would x1 users share their feeling with and without x1? Thank you!
Sorry. Jumping into this thread late but yes, wisnon is right, i added an x1 a few weeks ago and it is a marked improvement. As i mentioned to theiliste in another thread, the x1 drops the noisefloor and produces a more palpable weight and clarity. Feel free to pm me if you've got more specific things you'd like to know about the x1 and i'll be happy to try to share my experience.
Chris

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Sorry. Jumping into this thread late but yes, wisnon is right, i added an x1 a few weeks ago and it is a marked improvement. As i mentioned to theiliste in another thread, the x1 drops the noisefloor and produces a more palpable weight and clarity. Feel free to pm me if you've got more specific things you'd like to know about the x1 and i'll be happy to try to share my experience.
Chris

The Hong Kong CH dealer claims that X1 is much more beneficial to C1 than D1.
Therefore some HK audiophiles buy X1 with only one DC output because the price is lower than the 2-output model.

Any CH brothers here may share their views/experience on this aspect?

Thanks.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
The Hong Kong CH dealer claims that X1 is much more beneficial to C1 than D1.
Therefore some HK audiophiles buy X1 with only one DC output because the price is lower than the 2-output model.

Any CH brothers here may share their views/experience on this aspect?

Thanks.

Any comparison between Trinity and C1 since you have experience of both? Thanks.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Any comparison between Trinity and C1 since you have experience of both? Thanks.

No direct comparison done as there is so much difficulty : diff dealers; very few and diff owners; the result can be sensitive ... etc.
And if for CAS, Trinity is USB based whereas C1 has better performance with its optional ethernet card.
But my humble and personal impression is that Trinity Dac is still the better of the two.

However, C1 can be attractive because of the easy upgrade path : X1 & mono-dac configuration.

Last edited:

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Anyone has info on mono version of C1? It seems Wizard has moved the info to his paid site.

Audiophilelp

Jul 19, 2013
Chris

Thanks Chris!

I finally bought the X1 and confirmed your comment about it.

It takes at least 50hours of burn-in to appreciate the significant effect.

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
I compared the Trinity to CH and CH is better to my ears. The Trinity is somewhat softer and more laid back while CH is much more dynamic and lifelike, especially with an X1, but still beautiful sounding. The Trinity put me to sleep after a while. CH also seems better built. I'm much more impressed with CH.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I compared the Trinity to CH and CH is better to my ears. The Trinity is somewhat softer and more laid back while CH is much more dynamic and lifelike, especially with an X1, but still beautiful sounding. The Trinity put me to sleep after a while. CH also seems better built. I'm much more impressed with CH.

Very interesting feedback...most times, I read about Trinity winning the shoot-out. This is the first I have heard of a different outcome. Thanks for sharing. Just curious, any other digital to which you can compare these? I have not heard either, but have heard: Metronome, Esoteric, Emm, DCS, Wadia, Zanden, Audio Aero, Boulder, ARC, Meridien, Naim, Krell, and a few others.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Very interesting feedback...most times, I read about Trinity winning the shoot-out. This is the first I have heard of a different outcome. Thanks for sharing. Just curious, any other digital to which you can compare these? I have not heard either, but have heard: Metronome, Esoteric, Emm, DCS, Wadia, Zanden, Audio Aero, Boulder, ARC, Meridien, Naim, Krell, and a few others.

IMHO Trinity may be overall better than CH Precision C1, Totaldac D1-Dual, Lampizator Big7, MSB...etc on an one-on-one comparison.

However, some of these brands/models have easy upgrade paths or higher models :
CH Precision : add a X1; two C1 in mono config; two mono C1 + two X1.
Totaldac : add a Totaldac Reclocker; two D1 in mono config; the D1-Twelve and Twelve-System.
MSB : the highst stereo model Diamond Select which also have free upgrade to the newest tech for 10 yrs.

And unlike Trinity, all the above mentioned models can directly accept DSD files.

The flagship DAC scene is becoming more and more interesting!

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
I think it's a matter of preference but mine is CH. The Trinity is very very smooth and dreamy but misses out on energy and weight. I chose CH over my demo's of Metronome C8, Meitner and DCS as well. The CH replaced my old Goldmund Mimesis 10 and Stax DAC which are dated but still more musical than most current hyped up dacs. Have not heard
the new Nagra dac though, and it appears to be really special. I'll have a chance in a few weeks - will check back then.

kinch

Jan 7, 2014
Just a note to say it happened: C1 suddenly came through with alacrity, bass and unbelievable flow. Previously difficult to access works like Rach sonatas 1/2 are now comprehensible. Big wow factor most notable on piano and ensemble strings. Must've hit 50 hours play time, and hundred hours plus of standby. It was sort of an aha phenomenon because despite early critical listening, these properties were absent until the 50-100 hour mark. I don't believe this is expectation bias (no one told me of the burn in time required), and playlist was constantly cycling. The flow and timing are most stunning. That is, the tempo appears faster but it's not. It's as if the piece itself is excitable, the flow is charged with expectation of the next musical move. In other pursuits this has been described as a property of being "tensed toward". It's as if the notes are packed with expectation. It leads you to recall, or predict, the next note that will continue, intensify or resolve the theme. In doing this the C1 tickles the brain. Bass has fleshed out too. For now the cfo hasn't ok'd a linestage so the C1 is being used as full pre amp with volume control and truthfully, it's fulfilling. Will be interested to see if decays lengthen some, and how brass evolves in the coming weeks.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
IMHO Trinity may be overall better than CH Precision C1, Totaldac D1-Dual, Lampizator Big7, MSB...etc on an one-on-one comparison.

However, some of these brands/models have easy upgrade paths or higher models :
CH Precision : add a X1; two C1 in mono config; two mono C1 + two X1.
Totaldac : add a Totaldac Reclocker; two D1 in mono config; the D1-Twelve and Twelve-System.
MSB : the highst stereo model Diamond Select which also have free upgrade to the newest tech for 10 yrs.

And unlike Trinity, all the above mentioned models can directly accept DSD files.

The flagship DAC scene is becoming more and more interesting!

Did you hear the Big 7 with stock tubes???? If so, try them with Vintage Cunningham CX-345 or RCA UX-245 DHTs and hear the change for yourself. Also try an Emmision Labs 274b or Shuguang WE replica 274b rectifier while you are at it. Minimal cost for the tube roll and significantl uplift in SQ. These tubes add body and speed over stock while keeping all the detail and resolution. Ironically, the vintage 45 triodes are CHEAPER than the stock tubes. The Big 7 is an outstanding Dac and perhaps the best value for money among all the names bandied around here….and the DSd will likely top all of them.

Regarding the Nagra Dac, I cant see how they could be better than the CH, given the common design philosophical roots with CH having a leg up there.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Did you hear the Big 7 with stock tubes???? If so, try them with Vintage Cunningham CX-345 or RCA UX-245 DHTs and hear the change for yourself. Also try an Emmision Labs 274b or Shuguang WE replica 274b rectifier while you are at it. Minimal cost for the tube roll and significantl uplift in SQ. These tubes add body and speed over stock while keeping all the detail and resolution. Ironically, the vintage 45 triodes are CHEAPER than the stock tubes. The Big 7 is an outstanding Dac and perhaps the best value for money among all the names bandied around here….and the DSd will likely top all of them.

Regarding the Nagra Dac, I cant see how they could be better than the CH, given the common design philosophical roots with CH having a leg up there.

Hi Wisnon,

You are right!
I forgot that Lampizator has an easy upgrade path : Tube-rolling! It shall be fun!

Lampizator is rare in Hong Kong and I got only one audition of it but with the stock tubes only.
Thanks for your useful tube-rolling info and I will convey it to the Lamp Big7 owner friend in Hong Kong.

I am also a bit skeptical about the Nagra HD DAC.
If the decoding mechanism/software is OEM by Playback Designs, shall Andreas Koch leave the best design in his own flagship MPS-5?
Or can Nagra design and tune the tube & analog circuits so well that it is better as a whole than the MPS-5?
Only a direct comparison can tell us the answer.
Anyway, I personally prefer CH C1 much more than MPS-5.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
For B7 tube rolling ( and 2 box L7 too) please direct your HK plas to this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127660.0

The DHT Dac idea came from HK demand, as far as I know. They also had more L7s intially than the rest of the world. The Big7 has caught on big time in the US and I think the UK as well. DSD playback is so great that its seems to be ear catcher, according to the UK folks.

CH people are ex-Anagram technology pedigree, so they have it going on for digital and may even consider LPF DSD module for the future (wink, wink)!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Another thumbs up for Lampizator B7 with tube rolling. Ability to roll Emission Labs 45, Western Electric 101D, 1920s NOS' is awesome along with Directly Heated Triode tech - not only is it the most open and musical dac, the ability to output complex music with presence is awesome. Superb reverb and decay on Mussogorsky's Pictures, unlike any I have heard. A friend (who is also a reviewer) loved it much more than his Totaldac.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing