CH Precision L10 & M10 : My votes for the Best SS amps (for the past 5 yrs till 6-2021)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Just out of curiosity, what are features you look for when looking for footers? Have you tried to incorporate a decoupling rack into your system? Just wondering which one to invest in.
I'm not interested in changing the sound (e.g. in terms of tonal balance) but rather try to reduce any noise or distortion that could be caused by the various types of vibrations.

I have a partial HRS rack on the way. It will be interesting to hear the effect of the HRS platforms etc on my other CH components (as well as my turntable). I know of other CH owners that use HRS with great results so between that and my own experiments I consider it a very exciting investment.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
IMHO and as stated on the title of this thread, IMHO the L10 and M10 are the best newly launched SS amps for the past 5 years, till June 2021.
(I can't predict the future :D )

What really impressed me are their Naturalness & Realness.
They have more of everything than CH's previous amps and possibly ss amps of every other brands …. beauty, timbre, density, details/resolution, macro-dynamics and micro-dynamics, ambience and acoustic information ... etc.
The list goes on & on.

They are extremely immersive & involving.
I soon forgot my initial aim of evaluating them but simply enjoyed the music during all 3 visits.

They are quite like my MSB Select combo in characters. :cool:

Between L10 and M10, the former must be the invincible brother.
I guess there isn't any poweramp which is unsuitable to pair with L10.

For the M10, the speakers used and the listening room size are the two confounding factors.
I think one stereo M10 betters a pair of M1.1 monos easily.
If the room is large and the speaker very power-hungry, bi-amping (such as by a pair of A1.5 + a pair of M1.1) will have advantage over a stereo M10.

Of course CH Precision offers an upgrade path of Mono L10 and Mono M10.
But the price will then be astronomical! haha
o_O
"What really impressed me are their Naturalness & Realness.
They have more of everything than CH's previous amps and possibly ss amps of every other brands …. beauty, timbre, density, details/resolution, macro-dynamics and micro-dynamics, ambience and acoustic information ... etc."

Without actually saying it, still essentially a comparison with the attributes typically cited for the best tube electronics. CH Precision is exhibiting at Capital Audiofest in a couple of weeks. I will be sure to listen to their amplifiers. Still haven't heard SS amplification I could live with. Maybe CH will change my mind.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Without actually saying it, still essentially a comparison with the attributes typically cited for the best tube electronics.
But much cleaner. ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
After DIY amp Classe Meridian Mark levinson krell Boulder i finally gave up on solid state .
I found the sound differences not worth the money .
I ll be hearing the latest on solid state ( hopefully) at the dutch show other wise the whole spectrum at munich incl CH .
I ve got $$ to spend but it needs to be an improvement not a side step

Ps i listen with my own ears , i dont really care what reviewers like or not like

Reactions: MadFloyd

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Haven't heard SS "clean" that wasn't accompanied by SS "lean". But again, maybe the CH gear will surprise me at Capital Audiofest.
Then I suspect CH won't change your mind. You will perceive it as leaner, especially at lower volumes. Tubes can be like a large hollow chocolate easter bunny while CH is smaller but, well, solid. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Haven't heard SS "clean" that wasn't accompanied by SS "lean". But again, maybe the CH gear will surprise me at Capital Audiofest.
Do please post when you hear them. Be curious to know what you think, particularly of the 10 series which MadFloyd has just moved to with his preamp.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Ps i listen with my own ears , i dont really care what reviewers like or not like

Nice. 99.99% of WBF members claim they do the same. But most react when a reviewer writes nice things about the equipment they own. And are happy to disagree when he dislikes it ... :)

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Nice. 99.99% of WBF members claim they do the same. But most react when a reviewer writes nice things about the equipment they own. And are happy to disagree when he dislikes it ... :)
Don't know what the issue is with reviewers. Of course you listen with your own ears which, if you are a serious audiophile, you've educated over many years of listening. For me reviewers have always provided an invaluable service. First of all reviews provide exposure to many more brands/models of components and accessories than it would be possible to know about or listen to on your own. In addition reviewers frequently try a review component together with other components/cables they either own or have in for review, giving the reader some insight into contrasts and compatibility. Reviewers also have access to and can ask technical questions of the designer/manufacturer. These things go beyond what most audiophiles can do on their own. It follows that reviews can help narrow down your universe of potential component/accessory auditions/purchases. Obviously reviews are no substitute for in person auditions.

Clearly some reviews/reviewers are better than others. However over time you can learn to read through marketing hype and get what is important and useful from a review. If you are like me you will come to trust the opinions of a small number of reviewers more than the rest, such trust being built in part on shared preferences and comparing their review findings with your in person auditions.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Great post !

Reactions: Al M.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)

Clearly some reviews/reviewers are better than others. However over time you can learn to read through marketing hype and get what is important and useful from a review. If you are like me you will come to trust the opinions of a small number of reviewers more than the rest, such trust being built in part on shared preferences and comparing their review findings with your in person auditions.

Applause!!!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I'm not interested in changing the sound (e.g. in terms of tonal balance) but rather try to reduce any noise or distortion that could be caused by the various types of vibrations.

I have a partial HRS rack on the way. It will be interesting to hear the effect of the HRS platforms etc on my other CH components (as well as my turntable). I know of other CH owners that use HRS with great results so between that and my own experiments I consider it a very exciting investment.
thanks a lot!

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Do please post when you hear them. Be curious to know what you think, particularly of the 10 series which MadFloyd has just moved to with his preamp.
Listened to the CH Precision electronics at CAF with the Wadax DAC, Gobel Divin Marquis speakers, etc. Great sound - extreme clarity, dynamics, articulation, imaging, realistic timbre and tonality, etc. and didn't shout "solid state" at me. But still a little cool for my tastes compared for example with the Conrad Johnson/Kharma/Lampizator 20/20 Evolution Systems room which would be my personal choice for "Best of Show" room this year. I noticed in the Absolute Sound's show report comments they described the Gobel Divin/CH Precision/Wadax room's sound as "Really Impressive" and the CJ/Kharma/Lampizator room's sound as "Beautiful". That kind of sums it up for me in terms of comparison between systems with and without tubes in the chain. Not that tubes guarantee the best sound. Show reports raved about the United Home AudioThrax/Borreson/Hifistay room but to my ears the Borreson speakers sounded like they were working too hard to "push" the bass out.

Reactions: MadFloyd

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Listened to the CH Precision electronics at CAF with the Wadax DAC, Gobel Divin Marquis speakers, etc. Great sound - extreme clarity, dynamics, articulation, imaging, realistic timbre and tonality, etc. and didn't shout "solid state" at me. But still a little cool for my tastes compared for example with the Conrad Johnson/Kharma/Lampizator 20/20 Evolution Systems room which would be my personal choice for "Best of Show" room this year. I noticed in the Absolute Sound's show report comments they described the Gobel Divin/CH Precision/Wadax room's sound as "Really Impressive" and the CJ/Kharma/Lampizator room's sound as "Beautiful". That kind of sums it up for me in terms of comparison between systems with and without tubes in the chain. Not that tubes guarantee the best sound. Show reports raved about the United Home AudioThrax/Borreson/Hifistay room but to my ears the Borreson speakers sounded like they were working too hard to "push" the bass out.

From the pictures it looked like the Wadax DAC, Gobel Divin Marquis speakers, etc.system was using Parasound JC-1+ mono amplifiers and not CH Precision amplification. Can you clarify this point as it would impact any conclusion drawn from the above statements.

Reactions: VPN

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
From the pictures it looked like the Wadax DAC, Gobel Divin Marquis speakers, etc.system was using Parasound JC-1+ mono amplifiers and not CH Precision amplification. Can you clarify this point as it would impact any conclusion drawn from the above statements.
The sign on the room's door was Gobel/Wadax/CH Precision/Parasound/EVP. I thought the JC1+ monoblocks might have been driving the woofers only but I could be wrong. The room was crowded and I didn't get to ask questions. Haven't seen a photo that shows the full equipment rack or whole room. Perhaps one will show up. Of course if I wasn't hearing CH Precision electronics then my comments have to be qualified.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I noticed the amps were not CH as well. Maybe because the CH were too heavy? Or maybe Elliot feels the Parasounds are better?

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
The sign on the room's door was Gobel/Wadax/CH Precision/Parasound/EVP. I thought the JC1+ monoblocks might have been driving the woofers only but I could be wrong. The room was crowded and I didn't get to ask questions. Haven't seen a photo that shows the full equipment rack or whole room. Perhaps one will show up. Of course if I wasn't hearing CH Precision electronics then my comments have to be qualified.
Found a photo of the rack in this room which includes a CH Precision component (not sure which) so it appears I still haven't heard full CH amplification and my impressions apply only to this system/room not CH Precision amplification more broadly. 253368571_10220097950060850_6746957193265945804_n.jpg

Last edited:

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
Haven't heard SS "clean" that wasn't accompanied by SS "lean
Yes, that's a major problem with much Solid State stuff.
But I finally found something that does do clean and powerful but maintains deep tonal saturation, perfect PRAT, good soundstaging, naturalness and depth to the sound- Audionet Humboldt. I tried their MAxxs, but I felt they were as you describe.The Humboldt is something else. It is SO good, I find myself wondering(crazy!!) what the Heisenberg's are like (no uncertainty jokes, please). They must be actually stunning, as the Humboldt is fabulous and seems to have grunt to spare...
I hope they are at the Show all you guys seem to be attending?

Reactions: nirodha

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Found a photo of the rack in this room which includes a CH Precision component (not sure which) so it appears I still haven't heard full CH amplification and my impressions apply only to this system/room not CH Precision amplification more broadly. View attachment 84352

The highlights of this room must be the Wadax Ref DAC and Wadax Ref Server.
The single CH Precision component on the rack is most likely a preamp.
Judging from the shape of the face-plate, it is a L1 preamp.
I can't see any X1 there so the L1 must be using its own internal powersupply.

IMG_20211109_103141.jpg

Reactions: infinitely baffled

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing