Charles Krauthammer, MD may he RIP

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
There are two certainties:

1) This is the Internet where there are no shortages of opinion.
2) If the Internet makes your blood pressure rise, maybe you should consider getting a life.

I was in my advanced years before I realized that anyone who can raise my blood pressure is only an extra in the movie. :D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
+1.

a class act and oasis of civility which will be missed.

A big +1. I feel that the country has lost a unique and eloquent voice and view which we simply could not afford to lose.

I have never before been so upset to learn of the death of someone I did not know personally.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
And you know all of this---how??:confused:

By the accounts of people on all points on the political spectrum who worked with him or who knew him personally.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . We don’t have to get into politics to recognize great people, artists, writers etc contributions to society when they are deserved.

I agree with this for the moment. But KeithR and DaveyF have a very fair concern.

So please let’s be sure to stay far away from politics on this thread, and focus only on Charles, the man.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
A big +1. I feel that the country has lost a unique and eloquent voice and view which we simply could afford to lose.

I have never before been so upset to learn of the death of someone I did not know personally.

“Could afford to lose”...?? :confused: Or—couldn’t afford to lose with the apostrophe, lol.:rolleyes:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It is coming from the tributes to him written by people on all different points on the political spectrum.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
“Could afford to lose”...?? Or—couldn’t afford to lose with the apostrophe, lol.:rolleyes:

My typo. I am sorry. I meant could not afford to lose. (I inadvertently woke up in the middle of the night, and saw this thread, so I was careless.)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I agree with this for the moment. But KeithR and DaveyF have a very fair concern.

So please let’s be sure to stay far away from politics on this thread, and focus only on Charles, the man.

DaveyF added

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Incidentally on a music front Dr. K and his wife founded a charitable foundation, Pro Music Hebraica, to bring classical Jewish music outside the Synagogue.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I have great respect for Dr. K even though I did not always agree with his opinions. His opinions always came with significant forethought of history, the current state of the world, and morality.

I have always been struck by the fact Antonin Scalia and Ruth Bader Ginsburg where close and dear friends... there is a lesson there for us all I think.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have great respect for Dr. K even though I did not always agree with his opinions. His opinions always came with significant forethought of history, the current state of the world, and morality.

I have always been struck by the fact Antonin Scalia and Ruth Bader Ginsburg where close and dear friends... there is a lesson there for us all I think.

I think the lesson is that it starts at the core. If someone exhibits integrity and honesty then their opinions should be listened to even if one doesn't agree. But the minute someone shows themselves to lack those qualities then their opinions cannot be trusted since they are likely being used to achieve personal gains and power. JMO, of course.

I have been reading and listening to a lot of what CK had to say over the years. His positions were never consistently aligned with one group. They spanned the gamut of ideologies.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I think the lesson is that it starts at the core. If someone exhibits integrity and honesty then their opinions should be listened to even if one doesn't agree. But the minute someone shows themselves to lack those qualities then their opinions cannot be trusted since they are likely being used to achieve personal gains and power. JMO, of course.

I have been reading and listening to a lot of what CK had to say over the years. His positions were never consistently aligned with one group. They spanned the gamut of ideologies.

As a very Conservative person, I too didn't agree with many of his positions but had the ultimate respect for the man and always enjoyed listening to him and reading his pieces

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It's not my opinion that he was a pundit. Here's the opening line from the Washington Post's obit:

"Charles Krauthammer, a Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post columnist and intellectual provocateur who championed the muscular foreign policy of neoconservatism that helped lay the ideological groundwork for the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, died June 21 at 68."

Yes. Here is another opinion from the Wall Street Journal:

By The Editorial Board
June 22, 2018 6:45 p.m. ET
Many people in recent weeks have praised the character and contributions to American public life of Charles Krauthammer, who died Thursday at age 68. But allow us to add a few words about the way he thought and argued as a journalist because our republic could use more like him.

Perhaps it is possible that he was both a pundit and a journalist. People certainly listened to him and respected the man and what he had to say.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

By The Editorial Board
Many people in recent weeks have praised the character and contributions to American public life of Charles Krauthammer, who died Thursday at age 68. But allow us to add a few words about the way he thought and argued as a journalist because our republic could use more like him.

Perhaps it is possible that he was both a pundit and a journalist. People certainly listened to him and respected the man and what he had to say.

Agreed Peter. Regardless of your philosophical bent, it saddens me to think that we are unable to honor the passing of a person whom, IMO, was a highly ethical and honorable American without people being petty on the political front. For goodness sake the man has died; some of these comments go to the root of what is haunting our nation. I see very dark clouds on the horizon.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

By The Editorial Board

That he was, for sure.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Agreed Peter. Regardless of your philosophical bent, it saddens me to think that we are unable to honor the passing of a person whom, IMO, was a highly ethical and honorable American without people being petty on the political front. For goodness sake the man has died; some of these comments go to the root of what is haunting our nation. I see very dark clouds on the horizon.

I agree with you. From my perch it is analogous to defining someone like JFK strictly by his Bay of Pigs decision, an incredibly polarizing position, that some would like to utilize to debase the man. Same with Dr. K, so many would like to define him by his 2003 Iraq stance as though that defined the man in total.

Truth is I love to read both sides of each argument when the argument is worthwhile and love to read both sides of people's impressions of periods in history regardless of what my political bent is.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I agree with you. From my perch it is analogous to defining someone like JFK strictly by his Bay of Pigs decision, an incredibly polarizing position, that some would like to utilize to debase the man. Same with Dr. K, so many would like to define him by his 2003 Iraq stance as though that defined the man in total.

Truth is I love to read both sides of each argument when the argument is worthwhile and love to read both sides of people's impressions of periods in history regardless of what my political bent is.

The bold above is an approach I also value greatly which, IMO, is part of the foundation of the Socratic Method----an approach to decision making I find highly correlated to civility. One must consider all side of an arguement equally in order to become enlightened. Only the enlightened can coexist in harmony.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

By The Editorial Board

The opening line of the WSJ obit is:

Charles Krauthammer, the Pulitzer Prize-winning conservative columnist whose critiques made him an influential voice in Washington for decades, died Thursday. He was 68 years old.

It's important in the environment of fake news and pundits pretending to be factual journalists that we point out who has an agenda. The fact that Priaptor thinks that simply posting a obit from the Washington Post (a paper where Krauthammer wrote) is in itself controversial shows how powerful and effective the campaign against factual reporting has been. Sad times indeed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing