Charles' Little 2-ch Hi-Fi System...

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
And now...

Today has been a very productive day. I had three separate goodies show up in the mail, a new Music Hall MMF-2.3SE, a Schiit Mani phono preamp, and the replacement Stellar GCD! The first GCD I received a week ago, the mode button didn't work on it.

Note the nasty wad of microfiber cloth taped all over the IR sensor on the TV. I need to figure something out for that. That's just horrible looking. The remote for the GCD screws with the TV, and the TV's remote screws with the GCD.

In order to do the swap, I simply placed the new unit on top of the fist one, swapped the connections, then slipped the first one out from the bottom with the help of my daughter.

Before the new GCD arrived, I moved the Roku to the little table to the left and placed the Schiit Mani next to the Bluesound. I then set up the new turntable with the stock cartridge. I was highly underwhelmed by the sound. I barely made it through two albums before deciding to swap in my Ortofon 2M Bronze. Much MUCH better!

I have to say, right out of the box (literally), the Mani is impressive to say the least. Same can be said for the GCD, though with the first one, I could tell things got better after several days of constant use.

And now, much better with the 2M Bronze...

Reactions: GMKF

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
Nice looking system. With Sonus Faber speakers I have found that cabling makes a very big difference. IME, SF’s react well to a very fast cable, which is why I utilize the Nordost line. Excellent resolution and high frequency extension.
Also, have you thought about some rooom acoustic treatments? You have the Xmas tree, but I think there are others out there that are better...;)

There appears to be a often-heard (false) assumption regarding Nordost cables being "fast". How is it, where is it, that makes Nordost 'fast' ?

pj

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
A nice set-up. And pic's !

The 'stand' needs to go. Try/find something like this (for MUCH better sound -isolation/coupling):

http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/vti_product/bl404-audio-rack/

Color combinations are readily available; post, shelves, caps -as is the 'height' of each stack-able frame (4", 7", 11", 13" (10-cm to 30-cm))

There is also a BL-30X' series -tripod style as well; a bit 'tipsy' as the 3rd post is center/rear.
The gains in SQ is impressive; clarity, definition. And it's very reasonably priced: approx. $75-$100./module.

There a re several manufacturer's that make a similar, modular equipment stand. The 'secret' with these, is that each audio component/ frame /shelf is isolated from the other.

I have/am using a (long discontinued 'Lovan' -using identical architecture- stand) with Black posts, are Dark Cherry/ Mahogany shelves -as your photo's show. Mine came with 'Gold' Cap's. VTi offers optional Silver and Black Caps -along with Gold.

The improvements to sound quality from this style of audio rack is considerable.

pj

Reactions: Chops

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016

Your system/set-up definitely deserves a VTi-style equipment rack -and do try to elevate the bottom component off the floor.

pj
P.S. Clever placement of the subs -a big SQ advantage; between the 'mains'. Oh, and nice/smart touch with the loudspeaker stand platforms.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
A nice set-up. And pic's !

The 'stand' needs to go. Try/find something like this (for MUCH better sound -isolation/coupling):

http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/vti_product/bl404-audio-rack/

Color combinations are readily available; post, shelves, caps -as is the 'height' of each stack-able frame (4", 7", 11", 13" (10-cm to 30-cm))

There is also a BL-30X' series -tripod style as well; a bit 'tipsy' as the 3rd post is center/rear.
The gains in SQ is impressive; clarity, definition. And it's very reasonably priced: approx. $75-$100./module.

There a re several manufacturer's that make a similar, modular equipment stand. The 'secret' with these, is that each audio component/ frame /shelf is isolated from the other.

I have/am using a (long discontinued 'Lovan' -using identical architecture- stand) with Black posts, are Dark Cherry/ Mahogany shelves -as your photo's show. Mine came with 'Gold' Cap's. VTi offers optional Silver and Black Caps -along with Gold.

The improvements to sound quality from this style of audio rack is considerable.

pj

I got this stand because I desperately needed something better than what I had been using for years as it was falling apart. This stand is decent and the price is great, but yes, it has crossed my mind several times to upgrade it, and I will in due time. Thanks for the link above. I'll definitely consider them (more than likely).

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Your system/set-up definitely deserves a VTi-style equipment rack -and do try to elevate the bottom component off the floor.

pj
P.S. Clever placement of the subs -a big SQ advantage; between the 'mains'. Oh, and nice/smart touch with the loudspeaker stand platforms.

Thank you for the kind words. The bottom component is just the line conditioner. I hated that it always took up a shelf as I never wanted to stack anything "audio" on top of it. This rack allowed me to place it on the floor underneath, reserving all shelves for audio gear. This also helps isolate it from the rack itself. Plus, I can't go too high with additional shelves or the turntable will be up in front of the TV screen. If I go with those VTi racks, I can easily go with the shorter sections, so possibly add a fifth shelf and keep the height manageable.

As for subwoofer placement, I've done my homework. Not to mention they are playing in stereo, NOT mono. And the mains platforms were out of necessity. The Sonus faber stands use cones, not spikes. What's worse, the rear cones are really shallow and blunt. I could somewhat get the front cones to puncture through the carpet to the cement, but those blunt, shallow rear cones just allowed the stand to "float" on top of the carpet, making the entire thing very unstable. So to solve this issue, I had these white quartz slabs custom made. They're 1.5" thick and weigh a hefty 30 lbs or so each. They weigh more than the speaker/stand combo!

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
Thank you for the kind words. The bottom component is just the line conditioner. I hated that it always took up a shelf as I never wanted to stack anything "audio" on top of it. This rack allowed me to place it on the floor underneath, reserving all shelves for audio gear. This also helps isolate it from the rack itself. Plus, I can't go too high with additional shelves or the turntable will be up in front of the TV screen. If I go with those VTi racks, I can easily go with the shorter sections, so possibly add a fifth shelf and keep the height manageable.

As for subwoofer placement, I've done my homework. Not to mention they are playing in stereo, NOT mono. And the mains platforms were out of necessity. The Sonus faber stands use cones, not spikes. What's worse, the rear cones are really shallow and blunt. I could somewhat get the front cones to puncture through the carpet to the cement, but those blunt, shallow rear cones just allowed the stand to "float" on top of the carpet, making the entire thing very unstable. So to solve this issue, I had these white quartz slabs custom made. They're 1.5" thick and weigh a hefty 30 lbs or so each. They weigh more than the speaker/stand combo!

Brilliant ! .... and looks great to boot.

I feel SO strongly about the VTi (style) racks -hence my reply. I note, more and more (stand) company's are offering up such a design -and for good reason. Keep me/us posted if you get a chance to evaluate said stands.

Cheers,

peter

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Okay guys... Please don't crap up my thread with an argument. If you want to do that, take it elsewhere.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Bought a new "turntable" light...

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
snazzy ! ... Now, scoop-up a VTi equipment stand -and you'll catch my attention. (lol). In fact, it'll catch' your attention.

pj
P.S> I do like the 'light' though -stylish, sleek -sensible.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Just a few pics tonight to show off the new turntable LED lamp that I purchased. It's a great and highly functional addition!

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Installed the acrylic platter today. Also had to raise the VTA some, though not as much as I think I had to because the darn lid wouldn't close where I first put the VTA. I ended up lowering the VTA just a smidge, just enough for the lid to clear. I think it IS right about where it needs to be though. I'll have to investigate it more on my day off. It's too dang late to be messing with such things.

Reactions: MPS

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
System updates...

#1 - New Music Hall mmf-7.3 turntable
#2 - New amplifiers coming in a couple weeks and the NuPrime amps going up for sale

I got the new turntable in, and boy does it sound excellent! A very noticeable, immediate improvement.

Reactions: MPS

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing