Chernobyl-HBO 5 Part Mini Series

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It would be the USSR that would have to be sued, but it no longer exists. The Chernobyl power plant sits in the country of Ukraine today, and the Ukrainian government can't be held responsible for the poor actions of a government that no longer exists.

Everyone is well protected. Japan is a more considerate country when it comes to nuclear disasters, except for the last one where huge amounts of contaminated radio active water will be dumped into the Pacific Ocean. I'm following that closely, very, as I live next to that ocean.
But even if I was closer to the Atlantic Ocean I would still be very concerned for humanity.

We live on a great planet, but miserably managed by a poor bunch of inferior managers.
It's terrible as it affects us all.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It would be the USSR that would have to be sued, but it no longer exists. The Chernobyl power plant sits in the country of Ukraine today, and the Ukrainian government can't be held responsible for the poor actions of a government that no longer exists.

Respectfully, did you (or did bonzo75) go to law school over the weekend?

Maybe the company responsible for designing the reactor can be sued. Maybe the company which built the reactor can be sued.

In the presence of fraud maybe one or more corporate veils can be pierced to reach underlying companies or individuals.

For the purpose of building or of operating the reactor maybe Ukraine was functioning as the alter ego of the USSR.

Maybe there is some governmental or corporate agency liability or vicarious liability.

Without knowing a lot more it would be premature to consider a legal claim to be hopeless.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Respectfully, did you (or did bonzo75) go to law school over the weekend?

Maybe the company responsible for designing the reactor can be sued. Maybe the company which built the reactor can be sued.

In the presence of fraud maybe one or more corporate veils can be pierced to reach underlying companies or individuals.

For the purpose of building or of operating the reactor maybe Ukraine was functioning as the alter ego of the USSR.

Maybe there is some governmental or corporate agency liability or vicarious liability.

Without knowing a lot more it would be premature to consider a legal claim to be hopeless.

I just did 5 minutes of research after watching the mini-series a few months ago. Russia continued to pay compensation after the collapse of the Soviet Union but it abruptly stopped after Putin took control of the country. At the end, the Soviet Union/Russian government paid just 65% of the amount that was originally promised.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just did 5 minutes of research after watching the mini-series a few months ago. Russia continued to pay compensation after the collapse of the Soviet Union but it abruptly stopped after Putin took control of the country. At the end, the Soviet Union/Russian government paid just 65% of the amount that was originally promised.

Fair enough! :)

Reactions: jeff1225

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .
We live on a great planet, but miserably managed by a poor bunch of inferior managers.
It's terrible as it affects us all.

I have always harbored the suspicion that all of the nuclear weapons testing in the 1950s and 1960s raised, however subtly, cancer rates for the entire baby boom generation.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Simply put this is a "must" see

I remember vividly the events of Chernobyl but never could one imagine the gravity the world faced when the nuclear reactor had a melt down and exploded

The scenes and characterization of events will literally have you tongue tied. The filming and acting in this is simply riveting and will have you on the edge of your seat. It's difficult to know how much is historical fact and how much is graphic realism of the effect of such exposure to massive amounts of radiation

The final episode airs this Mnday

This show is rated 97% on IMDB and 96% on Rotten Tomatoes

Steve, I want to thank you for starting this thread. I binge watched the first four episodes last night and got up early to watch the finale this morning. Absolutely riveting, impacting - some of the best TV I've ever seen. From afar I never appreciated the gravity of this disaster nor the sacrifices that many amazing people made to contain the situation. Gorbachev's comment at the end is an indication of the true impact of Chernobyl. A more complete quote from unheard.com:
"According to Mikhail Gorbachev, the disaster at Chernobyl in 1986 caused the collapse of Soviet communism five years later. The Soviet Union’s last General Secretary described the explosion as a 'turning point' that 'opened the possibility of much greater freedom of expression, to the point that the system as we knew it could no longer continue'."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing